Forums Latest Members
  1. DirtyDenim Nov 20, 2012

They should be shipped tomorrow but I've yet to have any in my possession. I'm an NYC college student and work part-time as an intern so the big bucks aren't rolling in just yet, but I wanted a timepiece that's classic and versatile from a brand with history- and think I got that, two-fold.

Seamaster Day/Date Automatic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seamaster Day/Date Quartz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't anticipate winning both auctions, c'est la vie, although, I may want to flip one and recuperate some of those funds. But first I've got a few questions:

1. Am I naming these right?
      It's the best I could come up with from what I've gathered lurking in threads.

2. Are these vintage watches
      I've gathered that Omega watches date back to the mid 1800s, so what's considered vintage and what's considered modern?

3. What would you consider these watches to be roughly worth, at a glance?
      I understand the pictures are limited. Even a very rough figure may provide piece of mind.

4. Any special care instructions I should take note of?

Pardon my naivete, I welcome and appreciate all input.

astrosfan likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Nov 20, 2012

The first one is a forum favorite - and is nicknamed the Sparkle (to the dismay of Ashley / dsio). They were sold from 1967 into 1970 I think. The non-chronometer version like you have sells for $400 - $600 depending on condition, and yours looks very nice and has a bracelet that adds $50 - $75 to it's value.

Can't tell you much about the quartz piece besides it has to be from 1970 or later. Collectors don't go as bonkers for battery powered watches as they do for mechanicals. Still, it's in nice shape and would probably sell for $250 - $325.

Make sure you get your mechanical watches serviced every 6 - 8 years. The old oils and dirt needs to be cleaned out and new lubricants put in the proper places.

3. ulackfocus Nov 20, 2012

Oh, forgot to add a few pics myself! ('cause that's what forums are for).

Got the same bracelet for my Genève....

[​IMG]

.... and have the chronometer version of that same watch.

[​IMG]

4. DirtyDenim Nov 20, 2012

Thanks a lot.Yours is a beauty! And looks very well kept, it makes me more excited to get mine in the mail.

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 20, 2012

Yep, the first one is a great one! You got it at a nice price too, I was watching the auction. :) I would keep the first one and flip the second.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 21, 2012

7. pknopp Nov 21, 2012

As stated keep the first one. That's a nice watch.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2012

Nice sparkle, can't go wrong there :thumbsup:

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 21, 2012

Congrats on those beauties. The sparkles is a keeper. The quartz is NOS, isn't it ? Usually it will fetch some premium if it is really a NOS. You should not rush to flip it.

10. DirtyDenim Nov 21, 2012

Ironic, I actually shoveled out more for the second. But that one has a 7-day full refund policy. I may take them up on it, it was costly for me.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2012

Collector watches collect a premium NOS, quartz watches from that era don't tend to unfortunately. The first one is the keeper.

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 21, 2012

In that case I agree with Ash, return the second one.