Forums Latest Members

My first Omega purchase - Seamaster Deville - thoughts?

1. drzed Dec 8, 2018

Hi everyone
    I'm new to the Omega forums, as I just purchased my first Omega Seamaster Deville last weekend. I would love to hear your thoughts about the condition of the watch and if you think it's a redial. It looks to me like it as been relumed at some point. I don't have any service history and I haven't seen the movement yet. I think it comes out of the front of the watch, instead of the back and I've never taken the movement out of the front of a watch before. One concern is that there is no hippocampus on the back, but I have found other examples that also don't have the hippocampus. The crown is signed, which is nice. For now, I think it just needs a service (and the crystal needs to be replaced or polished) and it also needs a bracelet.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Mike

Omega face.JPG Omega back.JPG Omega crown.JPG

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  2. Vanallard Dec 8, 2018

Some watches that were intended to be given as service awards did not have the hippocampus on the back of the case so that the watch would be engraved/personalized.

The dial on your watch has been refinished.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  3. Hnansen Dec 8, 2018

Relumed and redialed, yes.
    How much did you pay for it?

Davidt likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 8, 2018

Sorry, as noted the dial has been refinished and not very well.

5. drzed Dec 8, 2018

Thanks for the responses guys. I paid $150 for the watch. I am able to return it. The question is...is the watch worth keeping?

6. kelev_ra Dec 8, 2018

Depends on you. If you want to have a period correct watch: no. Otherwise: why not?
    PS: Caseback is badly polished...

7. drzed Dec 8, 2018

Thank you for the response. Can you educate me about why exactly the refinishing of the dial is not very good? Is it just the lume or am I missing something?

Cozzie likes this.
  8. drzed Dec 8, 2018

I would actually like to see if the movement is authentic, before I make a decision about keeping it. Is it difficult to look at the movement in these watches that don't have removable case backs?

9. kelev_ra Dec 8, 2018

Why should it not be removable? A knife will do the trick (Don't forget to some tape to not scratch it!).
    The "Seamaster DeVille" is just waaay of.

10. Vanallard Dec 8, 2018

This is a front-loader, which means that you’ll need to remove the bezel, crystal and crown before you can access the movement. It’s something that should be left for a watchmaker if you don’t have the tools or experience.

11. kelev_ra Dec 8, 2018

Ah, sorry, I did not know that!

12. drzed Dec 8, 2018

Yes it’s definitely a front loader and I don’t have the experience to do the work myself. I’ll just have to trust that the movement is authentic and make my decision.

Edited Dec 8, 2018
  13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 8, 2018

Just do a search on here the forum and you will find many nice originals to compare yours to.

14. drzed Dec 8, 2018

Thanks I was doing that after it was mentioned and I see it now. Is it not in good taste to get a replacement dial (if that is an option)? Or I may just keep it as is for a beater and look for another for other occasions.

15. Hijak Dec 8, 2018

For reference...

61BEAC5F-4854-4145-88DA-14ACEC804922.jpeg

I would return this, horrible redial and who knows what’s inside a difficult to open front loader! Just my two cents.

Edward53, UncleBuck and Noddyman like this.
  16. Davidt Dec 8, 2018

It was cheap so I can see why you may keep it as a beater. Personally, I wouldn't buy it or wear it. I'd prefer to pay more for an example with an original dial.

IMG_2089.JPG

Edward53 likes this.
  17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 8, 2018

As you gain seasoning, I'm afraid the "idiosyncrasies" of this watch will bother you more and more.

If the return option works, go for it. If not, your noob tax is quite small.

Edward53 likes this.
  18. Hijak Dec 8, 2018

Have to agree with Buck, used to own this...

668BCD71-6B07-4609-A2EF-2950C3B466C5.jpeg

Not as bad redial but over time I couldn’t look at it without disdain! The redial, over polished case and wrong hands really took away from the enjoyment. O.P. Your watch also has an over polished case with an even worse redial and who knows the condition of the movement and if you get into this hobbie you will likely end up feeling the same way...if you can, as you say, return this you should IMO.:)

Hnansen and McKinley like this.
  19. chronoboy64 Dec 8, 2018

::popcorn::::popcorn::::popcorn::

20. drzed Dec 10, 2018

I greatly appreciate all of the feedback and the education! After looking at the watch over and over again...and comparing it to the pristine examples in this thread, I decided to sell the watch to a forum member for parts (it is in the mail right now). Hence, I am no longer an Omega owner, but I hope to be again in the future. I hope you guys don't mind if I find some watches on eBay and ask for advice on here before making an offer. Thanks again for all of your help!

Hijak likes this.