Forums Latest Members

My first Omega, my first mistake, and some love for the 70s

1. micampe Feb 6, 2015

This was my first Omega: I am a sucker for the 70s and I like the TV dial. It is also my first mistake: with what I know now I think I overpayed, but it is in pristine condition and I love it.

Which leads to my question: is the dial color original? And in general, are all the colored dials I see on the Bay original, did Omega make all those colors? I'm not concerned about refinishes right now, some do look worse than others, just wondering if those colors actually came out of the factory. They fit the style of the 70s, but they don't seem to be mentioned in the Omega database at all.

IMG_4007.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 6, 2015

The Omega Database generally doesn't deal with dial variations. The dial looks correct to me, but no one really knows all the different colors for each case reference.

Not even Omega.
    gatorcpa

3. bieb1 Feb 6, 2015

Dial looks fine. I have seen a few of these here in Switzerland, but all beaten up. Your case looks pretty sharp, so perhaps you bought new old stock (NOS)? Not a bad deal in my view.

4. pascs Feb 6, 2015

I think it looks good. I do like some of the more unusual shaped Seamasters and that has a really nice 70's look to it

5. micampe Feb 6, 2015

Thanks. I want to call it NOS too because there are no scratches anywhere, not even on the clasp (well, now there are some because even if I'm careful I do wear it a lot). The only thing that doesn't look perfect is the chamfer on the crystal, but I don't know if that was just from the manufacturing at the time, as far as I know this was never a high-end model.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 6, 2015

Or a replacement. If the crystal is plastic, there should be an "Ω" imbedded inside. If it is a sapphire crystal, that will not be there.
    gatorcpa

7. MyVintageOmega Feb 6, 2015

Frankly looks like a great start!

8. micampe Feb 6, 2015

Oh yes, I forgot the funny part: I consider this my poor man's PP Nautilus. Close enough right?