Forums Latest Members

My First Omega Just Arrived - Unboxing and Questions

1. bradurani Jul 24, 2019

Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to me

I just bought my first proper Swiss mechanical watch - this Omega 2598.80.00, which I purchased from this eBay auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seam...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Since I regularly dive nearly 300 meters deep, and digital dive computers haven't been invented yet, this watch solves a very real problem in my life.
    I went with the 2598 because it's one of only a few Omega chronographs in my budget, and the stainless bezel doesn't show scratches nearly as much as the blue painted bezel on the 2599. This particular listing stood out to me because it's a full, matching numbers set, and the lume and hands show virtually no ageing - which I guess means it hasn't seen much sun, or has been refurbished ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Be honest:
    - How'd I do?

A few more questions:
    - If it's keeping good time, would you service it?
    - Would you even open the case back to see what's inside?
    - What's the red dot on the edge of the case back at the bottom?
    - Would James Bond be impressed?

Unboxing:

The sign of excellence... does this mean I'm excellent?
    IMG_20190724_133526.jpg
    Is that a gold medallion on the box? I've won the gold medal!
    IMG_20190724_133535.jpg

They wouldn't fake the papers, would they? Oh God they'll fake anything these days. Please don't be fake.
    IMG_20190724_133628.jpg
    Love at first sight
    IMG_20190724_133656.jpg
    Heavy and soooo bluuuueee
    IMG_20190724_133856.jpg
    Only minimal scratching. No obvious signs of polishing. Jackpot!
    IMG_20190724_151157.jpg
    Lovely 3D wave dial texture
    IMG_20190724_151255.jpg
    Like it was built for me... 20 years ago.
    IMG_20190724_140145.jpg

I'm the Seamaster! Or is that seahorse the seamaster? What's that red dot?
    omega-dot.jpg

With it's new (much less expensive) family
    omega-collection.jpg

Since I guess I'm officially part of the Omega owner's club, I'll start reading this forum. Looking forward to learning from you all and seeing your cool watches! Next one for me will hopefully be a Flightmaster when I've saved a bit of dough, unless I find the perfect Memomaster on eBay and the digi lover in me can't resist it.

Als 27, Eve and muditrawat like this.
  2. swish77 Jul 24, 2019

Nice, classic Omega dive watch. If you have no service history, and plan to dive with it, I would absolutely have the watch serviced, or at least have a pressure check done on it to assure water resistance. Still, you'd want to make sure all gaskets are fresh.

The red dot comes from the Omega factory, and when the watch is serviced, it usually vanishes. Yours appears intact, perhaps indicating that the watch has never been opened/serviced.

As for the luminous, you don't really see aging on luminova, or super luminova, regardless of sun exposure. That's more for vintage watches with tritium.

Congrats.

3. bradurani Jul 24, 2019

Thanks! I was kidding about diving. Isn't everyone who thinks they need more than 40m kind of kidding?

Another question
    - I wound and wound and wound then stopped because I was afraid I was breaking it. Will it hit a stop eventually, or just wind forever with some sort of overwinding protection mechanism?

4. KeithS Jul 25, 2019

Haha! I was like: this guy... no one dives to 300m. I’ve been diving for years and never gone beyond 33 meters. I agree with getting the gaskets checked though. Enjoy your beautiful watch!

STANDY likes this.
  5. bradurani Jul 25, 2019

Yeah the PADI recreational limit is 40m. One time in Egypt we got a dive master who made us promise we wouldn't tell his boss, and then took us to 40m to see a giant gorgonia. For about 4 hours after we surfaced I felt like I was wearing a clamp on my head.

6. guaranteed.rohu Jul 25, 2019

Super cool vintage vibes, congrats!!!

7. jaguar11 Jul 25, 2019

Great. Enjoy and wear in good health.