Forums Latest Members
  1. novina Jul 14, 2015

So I took the plunge and purchased this only on the pics and description,poor at best. But hope for the best. It is a Seamaster from an Estate sale of a supposed Berkley college professor. Should have it sometime next week.
    Here is the best of the photos: having issues with uploading from this computer, so here is the ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mens-Omega-Seamaster-Automatic-watch-running-well-/171857608798?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Iem6OgcUELUY1EGyv9%2FcRq8tJOk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

So any thoughts? Words of advice? Anything that can be gathered from the pictures? Possible age? Issues? What have you. Will be sure to post internall pics when I get the watch in about a week or so. Fianally a 40 years obsession with "OMEGA" is satisfied. Now I have to make more money to buy more watches. What a vicious cycle this is.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Rob

SEAMASTER2.jpg seamaster3.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 14, 2015

Congratulations on your first Omega! I'm not expert enough to comment on your watch's vintage merits, but based on the eBay pics it looks quite lovely. From what little I do know about watches of this era, the relief of the Hippocampus symbol (sea-horse thingey) suggests to me that the watch dates from the early 1960s. I have a Seamaster with a similar dial and Hippocampus relief, but manual wind-up; it was most likely produced in 1960. This is my lovely little Seamaster:

IMG_1104_mods.jpg

novina likes this.
  3. novina Jul 14, 2015

That is very nice. Can't wait to have it in my hands to access its condition better. Hope mine will look half as good as yours.

Rob

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 14, 2015

Once you get the watch you may want to take it to a trustworthy jeweler/watchmaker and ask them to simply remove the caseback for you so you can examine the movement. There, you should see the watch's serial number as well as its Caliber (movement model number). There are many places on the Internet that will help you correlate Omega Watch serial numbers and the year of manufacture. And on the inside of the caseback, there should be some stamped numbers that will allow you to use the on-line Omega Vintage Watches Database (at www.omegawatches.com) to get more details on your particular watch.

novina likes this.
  5. sliceoftime_ Jul 14, 2015

Congrats on your new piece, IMHO a very honest example for the watch, looks good, but pics on the listing is slightly blur, so can't say for sure.

This is my first Omega, quite similar looking piece.[​IMG]

Severin and novina like this.
  6. novina Jul 14, 2015

Nice, very simialr indeed. Again just have to wait to see. Did I mention, I have very little patience, and No, I am not a doctor.

7. Hijak Jul 14, 2015

Congrats on the new watch!:thumbsup: Have one very similar to this too...
    Wrist Shot, 5.JPG
    In fact wearing it today!

Edited Jul 14, 2015
    X350 XJR and novina like this.
  8. novina Jul 14, 2015

So it shows shipped as of a couple of hours ago with tracking numbers. But we all know how that works. Maybe with a little luck it will be here Saturday. After all, its just going from the west coast to the east coast, stright line, right?
    Now I have to sell things so I can buy one for my father. Seems he always wanted one. Good cause though. And all these pictures just make me even less patient than I already was.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 14, 2015

I shipped a watch to LA, earlier this year, priority mail. Apparently, the USPS' idea of a straight line from Texas to LA, includes New York.