Forums Latest Members

My first Omega... Incoming

1. dejex22 Aug 6, 2015

Hello all this is my first Omega and also my first luxury watch. The CFO (wifey :rolleyes:) approved the funds for my 30th birthday gift :D::psy::. I was glancing through the bay ~3:00am when I stumbled upon this listed for $1600 and I made an offer of $1300, staying within the budget... Went to bed afterwards :cool:... woke up in the morning to find out that he accepted my offer. There wasn't a picture of the movement, he claimed that he didn't have the tools to open it, but he assured me the authenticity of the movement.
    So the question is did I make a good purchase? And is there a reputable watch repairer/AD I can use to check the authenticity and servicing of the watch in Houston, TX or the surrounding areas? Thank you
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/271932843320?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    **The pics are of the seller**
    $_14.JPG pic.JPG pic3.JPG pic4.JPG pic5.JPG

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2015

The Speedmaster MK40 is a very solid watch and a nice piece, derived from the 7750 so very accurate and reliable. Looks great too, not hard to tell from the pics that its real.

dejex22 and citizenrich like this.
  3. dejex22 Aug 7, 2015

Thank you! I've posted better pictures...

4. dejex22 Aug 7, 2015

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 7, 2015

You did well. Great way to get your feet wet with low/no risk. It's a very handsome looking watch. Period.

The way I look at it... You won't get rich off this watch but you'll never get hurt @ the price you paid.

So, you basically get to enjoy a high end watch with nice complications for the cost of general maintenance.

The 7750 is a bulletproof movement and requires very little attention. Probably once every 5 to 7 years, depending how easy or rough you are on it.

Don't wear it in the water - ocean. Not worth the risk.

Also - don't get freaked out by the rotor which brakes in only one direction - that little fcuker will spin a hundred miles an hour in the non winding direction lol

I think it's cool

Congrats!!!

dejex22 and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  6. dejex22 Aug 7, 2015

@citizenrich thank you! Ha definitely won't be wearing it in the water, I have my G-shock mainly for that purpose... That was one of the reason I went with Triple date, easy to maintain and ease of mind with the 7750 movement. Do you have any recommendation on a watch repairer or should I just take it to a Omega boutique for the first general inspection/ service? Thanks

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 7, 2015

You're in the right place for all things Omega, including service. There are more than a few incredibly competent watchmakers here who run circles around anyone working in Bienne.

The only issue is...time? Some of these poor guys appear backlogged seasons, not even months.

The prices are pretty good, too!!

Like 1/3 to 1/4 of Omega corporate service department prices. Seriously.

The search function for the message board is your friend.

Edited Aug 7, 2015
    dejex22 likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 7, 2015

Ya done good. The Omega brand is a favorite (they should have a forum or something....!). The 7750, as mentioned, is among the most durable/reliable/serviceable/accurate movements of ALL, not just among chronographs. OEM bracelets are available now, but act quickly if you want to buy one since Swatch will soon make parts available only through the mfg. Check ofrei.com.
    It's an attractive watch at a Goldilocks size (not too big, not too small, just right). Looks like it came with box, etc., which is good to have should you decide to flip it later.
    I'm curious to see what service recommendations come your way. As noted, folks like Archer can be so backlogged they may not even be taking on more work. There are others, I just can't think of them as I try to wake up.
    Congrats on your acquisition!

9. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2015

Congrats! As you already mentioned, the first thing you should do pronto is to go to a watchmaker and have it authenticated. If there are any Ebay issues they will look at your case more kindly if it is done the sooner.

10. dejex22 Aug 7, 2015

Yes I do see one or two that post on here like Archer... Ok well let the search begin! lol and thank you for your advice and inputs... @citizenrich @dsio

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 7, 2015

Very little chance the watch is not authentic based on those photos. Serial number is good, so you are fine mate. you did very well on the price! These are very nice watches, quite reliable, and can be made to be very accurate.

Cheers, Al

12. dejex22 Aug 7, 2015

@Time Exposure Thank you for the referral on the website, I"ll get a bracelet for it as soon as possible. And also keep you posted once I find a place to service it.
    @WatchVaultNYC Thank you and I'm planning on doing so, but just need to find one...

13. dejex22 Aug 7, 2015

@Archer Thank you and are you available by any chance to send it to you?

14. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 7, 2015

Sorry to interject (especially since this is between you and someone else), but this type of communication may best be suited to "private messaging."
    Apologies if I have mis-stepped...