Forums Latest Members
  1. mojothewolf Jan 8, 2014

2. mojothewolf Jan 8, 2014

Serial 173........... 1960 I think. . This is the before pic. Its now getting serviced

3. mojothewolf Jan 8, 2014

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 8, 2014

Hands, bezel and possibly crown are later replacement. Can not tell the dial condition, hope it is still original.
    Need more better quality pictures from various angle + movement and inside case back pictures to tell more....

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. mojothewolf Jan 9, 2014

I took a quick pic before I handed it over to my watchmaker...got serial number and case number..... Phone pic not so good. dial obscured by crystal scratches.... It's in for a complete service , he's an omega service agent. Will post nice pics when I get it back in a month. It all runs ok, keeps good time. All chrono functions work ,

6. mojothewolf Jan 9, 2014

Is it advisable to seek out and replace with
    original hands and bezel?

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 9, 2014

replaced hands and different bezel..... yes, replace hands with alpha steel hands and the bezel as well. will be nice then.... kind regards. achim

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 9, 2014

How did you do?

Well It ALL depends on the price, once we can see what you have. We know it has problems, but the ones visible are correctable. Replacement hands and bezel, while close to impossible, can be done with lots of money, patience, and an ability to move quickly and decisively if ever you see them available. (You would have to beat me to them, for example).

What you have is a great reference, with incorrect details, and unreadable condition of what is correct.
    The number could be correct, i would need first four digits to be sure.
    Lets hope you have a good case and dial - if those are not right you have a sow's ear.

I love posts like this. I wish you all the best in putting it together. I have seen worse turn out better.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 9, 2014

With a correct bezel and correct hands, (or at least close to correct) it'd still be a cool watch, how much did it set you back?

10. mojothewolf Jan 9, 2014

A lot of grown men ( and women!) will cry ,,,,

It's been sitting in a friends draw for twenty odd years, picking up the " odd scratch"......... I started collecting (mainly zeniths) a few months ago, and said I wanted a speedy when I could find an old one ,he offered it to me for £400....... He wanted a daily wearer, which this isn't.

So with the full service it will cost me £740 all in, plus whichever strap I add....

So how did i do. ..?

11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 9, 2014

If he'd asked you for £4000 he'd still have been giving you a good price. What else has he got lying around ? ::popcorn::

UncleBuck and watchme like this.
  12. mojothewolf Jan 9, 2014

Serial no. 17301...
    Case. 2998/1
    Cal 321

All info supplied by the watchmaker at omega service center. I didn't open it up

13. mojothewolf Jan 9, 2014

Plus it has 19mm lugs if that helps

14. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 9, 2014

" so, how did i do....? " that seems like a rhetorical question...... you know the answer. it is very nice to find a watch like this for micky mouse money. but you will not make too many friends here, if you rub that in too often. if we start, who found what over the years, there will be many tears..... enjoy it ! kind regards. achim

15. mojothewolf Jan 9, 2014

Yeah....when I first started trying to identify it the hands threw me off, like I said i was obsessing over zeniths at the time, head in rossler's book, so didn't have much info on speedys, other than a feeling I had to have it....plus i was after a birth year watch Which I thought this May be at the time...... Actually quite close, 1962 birth year, Watch comes up as 1960 from the serial number

16. mojothewolf Jan 9, 2014

My reason for posting was to get the hands etc feedback from people who know, not to rub anyone's nose in... I never mentioned cost till I was asked...ijs.

17. mojothewolf Jan 9, 2014

In the same visit to the watch maker I also showed him the j w benson 1915 Borgel I bought, Hoping it had a longines movement ....... It didn't. Swings and roundabouts.

18. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 9, 2014

You need to start another thread and show us your Zeniths.

JohnSteed likes this.
  19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 9, 2014

'zackly.

20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 10, 2014

Well, you can give me your friend's email to me, in case he had another chronos in his drawer ;)