Forums Latest Members
  1. echelonff Oct 11, 2013

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a newbie here, but I am very excited to report that I bought my first vintage Omega wrist watch... it's a Seamaster L-6287 with a calibre 550. I bought it at a local pawn shop for $167, which I think was a decent price.

It has a few scratches on the back of the case, as it is a front loader, and some previous owner tried opening the back with a tool. But, I'm hoping I can have them polished out. I'd like to learn more about watchmaking, but not sure I'd want to start learning to polish on this one, as I think it's nice and I'd like to preserve it.

I love the dial color, and the wavy look of it... I was able to open the case with a case knife and the movement is clean and in great shape.

Does anyone know the approximate year of the watch, and/or how many were made? Is the dial common?

Also, curious about value, as I have been watching the "bay" and seeing non-operating seamasters and devilles going for more than what I paid for this one.

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

2. Dablitzer Oct 11, 2013

Wow - nice entrance! I have seen that dial once before and had a similar 'wave' dial... But yours is stunning. Like a cast of shell.

As for the price. I think you did very well! ;)

3. echelonff Oct 11, 2013

Thanks Dablitzer! I think the watch chose me. :)

The dial is clean, but not "too" clean (it doesn't look totally brand new, and proper to match the rest of the watch). I haven't seen a lot of these dials when I've been searching for comparisons online, so I am cautiously curious to see if it is common or not.

Do you have any ideas on the possible age of the watch? I searched the database on Omega's site, but the model wasn't listed there.

Dablitzer likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Oct 11, 2013

It's an early to mid 60's watch with a clam shell guilloché. Caliber 550 or 552 inside. Nice grab for that price. The lugs are a little bent and you mentioned the case back, but that's potentially repairable by the right watchmaker.

5. Dablitzer Oct 11, 2013

Beat me to it. I think clam shell guilloché best describes that dial! And Dennis knows his cal 5xx movements like the back of his hand! Great snag. Keep me in mind if you ever get bored and want to move it on! :whistling: What's the case back like?

6. ulackfocus Oct 11, 2013

Pssst - WatchCo occasionally has those front loading 166.020 or similar front loading stainless cases on eBay. I know I've seen them before.

Dablitzer likes this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 11, 2013

Mmm, looks more like a scallop than a clam to me. :rolleyes:

8. Dablitzer Oct 11, 2013

We need a chart to compare our scallops with our clams.... Any fisherman out there? :p

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 11, 2013

Anyone from the south/southwest coast should qualify, Devon, Dorset, etc??

10. Dablitzer Oct 11, 2013

Maybe John R. He's from near Cornwall area. I would say you're right about scallops though. St. Jaques.

11. Hijak Oct 11, 2013

Clam shells are fairly smooth, the scallop shell looks like this...growing up on the south shore of Long Island started clamming when I was like eleven years old ( seen a few clams;)).

12. echelonff Oct 11, 2013

Thanks, I just added a new word to my vintage vocabulary- "guilloche". :) I had noticed the lugs were a little bent too. I'll see if I can get some decent light to take a photo of the case back for everyone. Thanks guys- I really appreciate your help and patience with a new guy.

13. echelonff Oct 11, 2013

:thumbsup: ok, I'll keep you in mind... it might be a long while though, I'm catching the bug! Hopefully finding something like this didn't set my expectations too high for future discoveries! Here are a couple of shots of the case back. Man, I wish that the PO hadn't let the scratches happen..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dablitzer likes this.
  14. echelonff Oct 11, 2013

Are you implying that I could put the movement into a stainless case to wear and enjoy? I had read somewhere that watchco sometimes builds Omegas out of NOS parts, and sells them as "not quite new" and "not quite old"... wasn't sure if watchco parts were a good thing or not (forgive my newbieness).

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 11, 2013

You did well for the price.

echelonff likes this.
  16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2013

Fond childhood memories of crabbing at Captree. Where abouts?

17. Hijak Oct 12, 2013

Grew up in Babylon and always had a friend with a clam boat...worked many a summer clamming to support my drinking beers at the beach habit!::beer::

18. Mathlar Oct 12, 2013

Can you see base metal through the gouges in the back or have you actually managed to pick up a solid gold case at a ridiculously cheap price?

Edit: I'm assuming it's not actually steel.. the white balance could just a be a little funny and hence my eyes could be deceiving me...

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  19. echelonff Oct 13, 2013

I don't see any base metal... would the case be marked somewhere if it is solid? Sorry for the color in the pics, I took them with my iPhone, and the lighting wasn't the best.

20. echelonff Oct 14, 2013

Under the pin, it was marked gold filled.. so, not solid gold. I'm still happy though!

Dablitzer likes this.