Forums Latest Members

My First Omega and foundation stone of a new collection - Opinions needed

1. petay Jul 27, 2012

Hi Guys - first post and after some of your views

After having cleared my previous collection a few years back when i needed to free up some cash (Panerai Radiomir GMT, ROlex Explorer II, Breitling Colt Automatic) I am now in the market for a new watch to start off a new collection and having never owned an Omega I have decided this is the brand that will start me off again.

Now the hard part - I have tried the 3 watches i am considering on I really cannot make up my mind as all 3 appeal yet all 3 give me pause for consideration.

The 3 in question are...

PO 42mm Black Bezel (aluminium version) 2500 movement - 2201.50.00
    SMP Black bezel latest facelift version - 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Speedy Pro Moon Watch - 3570.50.00

Now I have not even considered the newer PO as the price point is a lot higher and if honest the new ceramic bezel does not appeal to me - its just such a dull colour.

The older PO is lovely but is thicker than i am used to as well as feeling a tad bling. However it is beautiful when i have tried it on.

The SMP is a classic dive watch and sits better under a suit and cuff, understated and smart BUT the SMP is so common place now it almost feels underwhelming (i see at least 2 people every day on the tube with a variant of the SMP on the wrist)

The Speedy pro is pure history - a Tool watch that manages to make its self look the part in a smart dress environment, my issue with it is of course is the hesalite crystal (please not i would only consider the original moon watch variant) Since this will be my only watch for a year to 18 months or so while i save for the next i am worried that the hesalite will become scruffy with daily use and not sure how many times you can get away with a dab of polly watch!

Would love to hear your views guys.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

Definitely the 3570.50, all my watches bar one are hesalite/plexiglass and they just look great, polywatch really doesn't take off much, you can keep doing it for ages without worry, and in fact there are a lot of Speedys turn up after 30 years or more with the same crystal. My SM300, constellation and Rolex Submariner are all plexi too and they're really not a problem, in addition the warmth and colour you get from the plexiglass is really cool.

I would totally just go for it, nobody regrets a Speedmaster Pro :)

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

Speedycosmograph will come here shortly and continue pontificating about the speedmaster's awesomeness momentarily, its what he does ;)

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

5. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 27, 2012

I was just about to suggest a nice Constellation or coextraterrestrial somethingorother. Am I that predictable already? It's time to switch things up...maybe take an interest in Seamaster dive watches from the 60s and 70s.

Petay, Ash is correct. The Speedmaster Pro is perfect for a suit or jeans, and it isn't pretentious....yet it's refined in its own way. Of course it has history, which may or may not matter to you, but it withstood some incredibly harsh testing conditions to be chosen by NASA. As for plexi crystals....Ash is correct again....they have a very nice look on the watch, much warmer and more flattering to the dial than sapphire/glass. I very rarely scratch the crystal, and I wear a Speedmaster each and every day of the year. But they are very easy to polish, and another pos. for the plexi is that they are nearly impossible to break. I'm slightly biased when it comes to "the moon watch, " but my bias is well-deserved. How many watches have remained mostly unchanged for so many decades? It is in a category unto itself. Are you looking to buy brand new? I would always recommend a nice used watch or a vintage model, esp. if you're not rich like Ash.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

I'm not rich, I just have unusual priorities :p

7. petay Jul 27, 2012

I am considering new - Would kind of like the first watch of the new collection to be new. Silly i know as there are some decent pre owned deals out there and my Panerai and Rolex were both pre owned but i just like the comfort of the longer guantee you get with buying new.

Really finding it hard to decide and i have tried all 3 on multiple times now lol

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

New or used, I'd still go speedy all the way of the three :)

9. ulackfocus Jul 27, 2012

On looks alone, I like the 42 mm PO - especially if it's black with the orange numbers. Any color combo works on that though.

One question: I recognize your screen name. Were you a regular on WUS or TZ before?

10. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 27, 2012

It should be noted that ulackfocus is notoriously spiteful when it comes to Speedmaster Pros. I suspect he had a bad experience with one when he was just a li'l cheese steak. Next he will be trying to lead you toward Constellations in 18kt gold. If you choose a Pro...and you should...you can probably get a good deal on a new one.

11. petay Jul 27, 2012

Funny you should say that - Omega are currently opening a lot of there own boutiques and from speaking to a member of staff in a former stockist of Omega it seems the company are attempting to control the market in the UK (especially London) in order to regulate prices by reducing the number of retail partners who stock Omega. In essence they are trying to prevent discounts being given - the omega boutiques i have been in (3 of them now) have all said the same "zero discount" best i could get was a voucer to get my first service free....

12. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 27, 2012

Well...I know I'd be looking for a new or like new model from another seller...for a 1k less than retail.

13. Wetworks Jul 28, 2012

I say go for the new SMP. It has just the right amount of conservative flash for all occasions. Great update of a modern classic.

14. petay Jul 28, 2012

Well a after popping into an AD on Oxford Street in London today while out for afternoon tea i am now the proud owner of a Speedmaster pro moon watch!! And to add to it my girlfriend came away with an ladies aqua terra quartz!!

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

This would be the part where you are required to post pictures of both pieces! Congrats mate, great choices! =D

16. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 28, 2012

Good on ya. (Ash, what exactly does that mean?) I just love those great Aussie bits....one of the best things about the 80s. Shrimp on the barbee...crikey...whatever that is. Anyway, yes, great choice on the "moon" watch. Now the most important question: Will you wear it on a strap or the bracelet?

17. petay Jul 28, 2012

Will try and do some pics tomorrow. It will be on the bracelet for now but will be ordering up a black nato strap so i can change the look up a bit when the mood takes me. On that note does anyone know what the lug spacing is in mm? 18mm or 20mm?

18. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2012

His and hers Omegas! :thumbsup:

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 29, 2012

20mm, a black leather rallye style strap looks great on these too btw

20. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 29, 2012

Congratulations to both of you :thumbsup: