Forums Latest Members

My first Omega- 3 days on the wrist

1. rmurphy37 Feb 21, 2016

Good afternoon everyone!!! I just wanted to say hello and introduce my new Omega Speedmaster Date 3210.50.00.
    So far I'm loving it. I was going to initially going to buy the more WIS approved moon watch, however - I really wanted a date function on my watch. This one is keeping great time so far and I think it's a keeper.
    The only thing I wish I had put a bit more thought into is the 19mm lug width. I'd like to find a curved end link leather strap for it, but I have looked and looked and no luck so far .... Can anyone point me in a good direction for finding something nice for it?
    Thanks again and I'm a very proud Omega owner!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Riviera Paradise Feb 21, 2016

Welcome and congrats on the new purchase! Great avatar pic:)

meganfox17 likes this.
  3. rmurphy37 Feb 21, 2016

Thanks Riviera Paradise.... You have quite a nice avatar pic yourself. Mine is of myself and my youngest child of four .... Miss Ivy Katherine Murphy, she has three older brothers ( 21,18,16 ) here's a photo from yesterday:
    [​IMG]

She loves my watches❤️

4. demollo Feb 21, 2016

Congrats !

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2016

There is a nice curved end cordura strap from omega. Same one as on the speed master "Yemen". You need the clasp to go with it. image.jpeg

gmkelm and rmurphy37 like this.
  6. Hijak Feb 21, 2016

Adorable!

meganfox17 likes this.
  7. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 21, 2016

Nice first choice...my first omega was a speedy day date

meganfox17 likes this.
  8. rmurphy37 Feb 21, 2016

So am I correct to assume I buy the strap from them and can use my buckle off of my bracelet or is it a package deal from omega.

Please forgive my ignorance, sizing of straps and buckles is the most confusing part of watches for me. It's seems awfully hard to buy a buckle for a strap that you don't own at the time. The different MM's confuse the heck out of me.

Thanks tho for the info. Do you have a model # for the strap?

That Speedmaster "Yemen" looks badass by the way.

meganfox17 likes this.
  9. Johannes123 Feb 21, 2016

Great watch! Congrats.

meganfox17 likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2016

The Yemen is a very unofficial term, its the cousin of your watch. I love yours though!

No a bracelet buckle does not work on a strap. I do not know if you can buy the strap and buckle together as a package or not from Omega, but I am pretty sure that the buckle is the 18mm on this page offered in satin or glossy. http://www.ofrei.com/page573.html

The good news is that will fit almost all Omega OEM deployant straps with a 19mm width and 18 at the buckle. On the link I posted it lists all of the omega straps and part numbers that it will fit.

I just got a 2nd for and the strap part number is 98000315 @$120 from a Boutique, oddly they are selling for 150 plus on ebay.

This guy on ebay has the strap with buckle for $425. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speed...737761?hash=item1a08ad7f61:g:RY0AAOSwuTxV9IdWPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

seems like an ok deal.

11. meganfox17 Feb 21, 2016

Hi rmurphy ,

Incredibly as it seems yet not outrageous , after reading your post, & staring at the photos of your Moonwatch Speedmaster & your Sweet Cuddly Darling Daughter , i could have sworn your story bears an uncanny striking resemblance to the movie
    " Interstellar " 2014 by Christopher Nolan !
    Ok .. Your name is Richard Murphy in your late 30s i presume? Matthew McConaughey character was Gary Cooper 38 yrs ! Of course.. you are happily married man with 3 kids..? In the movie Cooper was a widower with 2 kids....i dont know how much of hair you still have on your head.....but i do know your daughter " Ivy Murph" is the Apple of your eyes...!
    Ivy murphy .. is only a few yrs younger than the movie's young ' Murph ' character of Jessica Chastain's .
    i'm pretty sure her friends will be calling her ' Murph ! ' . Both love watches !

Oh Come On... ! Real life Daddy has Omega Moonwatch Speedmaster while Sci Fi Daddy had this :

[​IMG]

I dont have any more details......
    For Gods Sakes ...Just ...dont tell me you were a former NASA pilot or grow crops or anything like that ...or your hometown is somewhere in the midwest or Alberta in Canada !

I wouldn't be surprised if Young Ivy
    " Murph " grows up to become a Scientist...!!! & ...her most prized possession is ........
    Daddy's Omega Moonwatch Speedmaster ...!!!

Amazing Coincidence & A Wonderful Story.....!

Riviera Paradise and rmurphy37 like this.
  12. rmurphy37 Feb 21, 2016

Wow Ms. Megan, you about have me pegged! lol
    I still have plenty of hair left thankfully, albeit it's a bit grayer than I'd like it to be.
    I am originally from Indiana and I was in the Army and I've been in the car business for the last 18yrs, 4 yrs as an owner of my own car lot. I'm unfortunately having to shut it down due to my health, I survived a massive widow maker heart attack in December 2011. Thankfully I had a customer in my office that was a corrections officer and he new great CPR and saved my life.
    I lost 2/3 of my heart though, so Ivy Katherine is my miracle baby and brings a joy to our home that's beyond description. I was also lucky enough to get myself included into a clinical trial for a device called the "parachute implant" that has certainly extended my life.
    I'm thankful to be here chatting about frivolous extras like watches. Here's a few photos and videos and I hope to participate more and more in the forum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My boys and I -

It's a good story ..... [emoji4]

Edited Feb 21, 2016
    fskywalker, NT931, flw and 6 others like this.
  13. off It could have been bug spray. Feb 21, 2016

Congrat on the Speedy but more importantly your health and family! As far as the strap goes you might want to check out the watch parts sales forum and get something custom to your liking.

rmurphy37 likes this.
  14. rmurphy37 Feb 21, 2016

Yeah I'm not going to spend $425 bucks on a band I'm not going to wear much. I spent tons on one for my sub and I always go back to the bracelet. I'll find something that works tho, I even thought about going with a 20mm and squeezing it in there, or trimming it a bit to fit if need be. 20mm seems much more available than a 19mm

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2016

Why do you need a curved leather end? Also for the record... the band is 120... the buckle is universal for bands made for omega. But yeah I feel you on that one!

16. rmurphy37 Feb 21, 2016

I'm not a fan of the gap whatsoever ..... I have a guy that can make some custom end links and that may be the way that I go, that would open me up to a multitude of straps then.

17. meganfox17 Feb 21, 2016

Dear rmurphy ,
    See Sir. ....? You Do have an Incredible Real Life Story of Surviving against All Odds ..just like Cooper in the movie !
    Arent You relieved & happier now since the whole world knows about You....well ..at least the Omega Forum readers anyway..? You were like...actually resurrected from the Dead....!
    A 99% Mortality Rate but You know that...

Dont Worry... i know what parachute implant is & for the other forum readers' knowledge it is a non invasive percutaneous device inserted into the femoral artery that opens up like a parachute in the Left Ventricle
    ( LV ) which restores cardiac output & improves LV function.
    Am i correct Sir ...?

Little Ivy Katherine needs her Daddy... just like in the movie..
    " Interstellar " when everyone thought McConaughey had died ....like ...Totally Vapourized from the Universe Died ...!!!!
    but He Came Back as promised to see his little daughter Murph All Grown Up... !

" Everything Will Be Alright Now"
    & It's A Damn Good Story....

p/s Please give the Moonwatch Speedy ONLY to Ivy Murph when she reaches a certain age & i know she will treasure Daddy's Omega forever....
    Your Boys... ? Naaahhhh....
    I mean Nooooo......
    They look like they're into Smart Watches & Sony playstations ...!!

18. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 21, 2016

Congrats on the spectacular watch, beautiful family, and surviving a serious health scare!

Riviera Paradise and rmurphy37 like this.
  19. rmurphy37 Feb 21, 2016

You are very correct in what the parachute implant is! I've been trying to post the video to the story they did on me but I've been having trouble getting it to post correctly.
    I'll try again:

Thank you for the kindest of words and believe it or not it's been the best medicine tonight. I needed to hear what you've written. The watch is Ivy's for sure. I'll never get rid of it. I'm still trying on the video

Edited Feb 21, 2016
    flw, Riviera Paradise and meganfox17 like this.
  20. Riviera Paradise Feb 22, 2016

A very emotional lifestory @rmurphy37. Thank you so much for posting and inspiring us all to focus on what really matters...:thumbsup:

You have a beautiful family...with your attitude and absolutely gorgeous Ivy to inspire you I am sure that even better days will come.:)

@meganfox17 and her Insterstellar post was a creative, lighthearted but at the same time moving way to tie all of this together:thumbsup:. As a father with a young daughter (I also have a slightly older boy), I can relate to so much of what has been posted in this thread.

This is where I think this forum really stands out...a place for sharing emotions, life experiences and not just timepiece discussions.

Cheers

Ravineman, flw, ahartfie and 2 others like this.