Forums Latest Members
  1. Amh82 Jan 27, 2017

I say 'my', I actually bought it as a birthday gift for my girlfriend, but still!!

I had received some advice from some of you guys in another thread, and hoping that I haven't ended up with a lemon, but feel free to tell me if I have!!

On the whole, I am very pleased with it. The case has been polished and possibly lost some of the original bevelling on the lugs, but not too bad and there are some marks on the rear.

I was worried from the sellers pics that the dial may have been painted, but in the metal it looks original to me. The font and positioning, seems to match up with similar dials I have seen on Google images, so looks to be original hopefully. Hands have tarnished a little, I may try to polish these up if I get time. Movement has been running well dial up overnight - I have not checked to the second as I set it quickly against my phone, but it has kept time to the minute at least.

I'm not convinced the buckle is genuine - it has 'Stainless Steel' laser etched on the back. Even if it was a modern buckle I think it should be engraved/stamped? Would a 1960 Omega have had one of the cast Omega logo buckles?

I'm wondering if the crystal is correct? Some of the other examples I have seen on Google look to have a slightly higher dome, or at least more square edged, which I personally think looks better.. Correct crystal is a PN1062 according to the very helpful Archer, but Cousins don't list it. Even then, for the price difference I would probably use a generic anyway. With this case type, does the bezel have to be removed before popping the crystal out?

Here are a few pics anyway, hopefully all looks OK to you guys!?

[​IMG]1960 Omega Geneve cal 610 by Hallsy01, on Flickr

I don't think I'll keep the lizard strap it's on, I don't think my other half would like it. Will probably go for a honey brown Hirsch Duke or similar.

I hope she likes it!!

Thanks for all of the advice - I can see a few of these vintage Omegas getting added to my collection now!

Edited Jan 29, 2017
    MajorCindy, Syrte, Giff2577 and 4 others like this.
  2. tdn-dk Jan 28, 2017

Nice one, love the early Genéves

Here is my 14724 SC - 61

IMG_1341.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

heavenscloud, GregH, Edward53 and 2 others like this.
  3. ajg1960 Jan 28, 2017

Very nice. Hope she loves it!

Amh82 likes this.
  4. ChrisN Jan 28, 2017

Nice present. All looks correct to me as well and the movement is nice and clean.

I'm sure it wasn't you trying to remove the back with a screwdriver but someone has been a bit rough with the case when getting it off. I'd get your Watchmaker to clean up the hands a little at the next service if you really feel they need it, unless you're feeling very confident. Easy to damage them.

Looks a good buy and I hope your girlfriend enjoys it - very classy look.

Cheers, Chris

Amh82 likes this.
  5. Amh82 Jan 28, 2017

Very nice looking 14724 you have there tdn-dk, she's a beauty!!

Any chance of a side on photo to show the crystal profile on yours if you get chance?

Also, is the whole case on yours polished, or are there brushed areas from factory? I can see that the case back on mine has been brushed, but it is not as neat & parallel as yours - I will probably polish & brush the caseback as it's a little untidy.

6. Amh82 Jan 28, 2017

Thanks Chris - I'm chuffed, and sure my partner will love it!

As you say, shame about the tool marks on the back. I'm only a hobbyist, but I do at least use a case knife!!

At least the rest of the case is quite presentable!!

I realise it's a bit risky trying to clean the hands. I have cleaned up a few sets in the past, but I've decided I will probably not risk it on these ones as I don't know how easilly i'd find a replacement set it it all went pear shaped!!

They're not too bad under normal light, just some tarnishing/staining and a slight tone difference - but i'm probably being too picky!!

7. ChrisN Jan 28, 2017

It's a nice watch and I'd leave the hands for a while. I think we all get a bit obsessed with things like this. I am trying ;) to leave anything for a while before getting too obsessive about these sort of details.

Regards, Chris

Amh82 and blubarb like this.
  8. blubarb Jan 28, 2017

Very nice. Love the cross-hair dials, of which you need to be careful you don't put yourself in the centre of by stating in public, "I don't think my other partner would like it"
    Freudian slip, perhaps? This is how you get caught...:p:p:p::stirthepot:: and get branded, for all time, with something you never want to see under your user name. Trust me, these mods are sharp.:rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Amh82 likes this.
  9. Amh82 Jan 29, 2017

Haha!! A slip indeed!! A hybrid between 'other half' and 'partner' - trust me, one woman is enough for me!!

blubarb likes this.
  10. Amh82 Feb 6, 2017

I wasn't sure that my partner (singular, lol!) would like the lizard skin, so I was on the lookout for a replacement.

A vintage Omega enthusiast over on TZUK had recommended Cousins straps previously, and I had bought one some years ago that was nice quality - he recommend I try Cousins' Omega 'Style' so I ordered one of each in black & brown.

For £6 or so, they are great quality and good looking too. If they're not to her taste, I'm barely out of pocket!! The black one has a nicer finish in my opinion, but strangely has less holes than the brown one - which might make it too loose - so I fitted the brown one for now.

Better looking than the lizard? I think so anyway!

Looking forward to the weekend!!

MajorCindy, MaiLollo and Syrte like this.
  11. MaiLollo Feb 6, 2017

Congrats, it looks great, she will love it.
    I got a Constellation in steel for my girlfriend and she adores it. I think it is a great idea to get our significant others into the hobby a bit, since she started borrowing some of my smaller pieces she's much more involved in my collecting crazy life!

Amh82 likes this.