Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 24, 2016

I have been looking for a semi-formal watch, that I could wear both to work and the weekend. At first I tried the grand Seiko snowflake, which you may have seen I flipped pretty fast. I must admit I never felt comfortable with the spring drive, it felt a tad big for me, at 41mm and a thin bezel. Also, I didn't fall in love with the dial the way I expected to.

After flipping that, I picked up a Nomos Zurich Braungold. I loved the sunburst dial from the promo shots:
    image.png
    At 39.7mm I thought it was sufficiently smaller than the grand Seiko to suffice. I also liked the slightly thicker hands compared to the rest of the Nomos range.

It was a LONG wait. The seller had some issues with USPS so it took more than a week to post. I must admit I was getting a bit concerned I had been scammed, as it was a seller from a different forum, not here. Nevertheless, it eventually arrived.

When I opened the box, I must admit I was a bit concerned at the dinner plate in front of me! It looked huge. I was concerned I was going to have to flip this one also. But I was determined to give it a go.

A couple of weeks on, it barely comes off my wrist. It's size is perfect. Small and thin enough to work with a suit. Large enough to work with jeans. The brown sunburst dial is very subtle, but stunning in direct sunlight.

The movement is gorgeous. Because of the layout and the cutout weight, you can clearly see the gears move when you wind it.

The strap is a very comfortable horween.

There are a couple of downsides. I do have a smallish wrist, and I found I needed to add an additional hole in the strap. I'd also like a second keeper on the strap. Finally, an AR coating would be very useful. The dial is ridiculously hard to photograph.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. jud Sep 24, 2016

Very nice, thanks for the write up.

3. Sanmilc Sep 24, 2016

I like the simple, classic design…. Enjoy it.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2016

Very nice dial :thumbsup:

5. Scepticalist Sep 24, 2016

Been close to buying a Nomos for myself several times. My wife, who is usually fairly ambivalent every time I ask her about watches actually really likes the Tetra Goldelse so I think there's a possible purchase for her 40th birthday next year coming up.

6. ulackfocus Sep 24, 2016

:thumbsup:

7. Jking something intelligent and witty... Sep 24, 2016

Very nice. You can still see the sunburst dial in the photos. It must really pop when seen in person.

8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 24, 2016

It really is beautiful...

I just obtained a Nomos, too (the Orion 35), came on a Horween, and mine also needs an extra hole for my smallish wrist...:D.

Wear yours in good health!

9. MIDASCHEN Sep 24, 2016

Very nice Sir, this exact version is one of my Nomos favourites,

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 24, 2016

That's the other one I was contemplating. Can we see pics?

11. ConElPueblo Sep 24, 2016

Very nice! Only 20 minutes ago, I was showing my GF pictures of Nomos' (Nomi?) online, in a weak attempt to recreate that @Alpha / @Superdoc / @Bushido - moment where she buys me a watch! :D

Jwit, ahartfie, Jking and 1 other person like this.
  12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 24, 2016

Yessir!

image.jpeg

tapaptpat, kertong, nixf6 and 6 others like this.
  13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 24, 2016

Couple of better pics of the dial. I've found it looks best through my polarising sun glasses!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

14. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Sep 24, 2016

Nice first choice...love what nomos is doing

15. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Sep 24, 2016

Dont see that dial color availabe on many watches. Nice pickup!

16. Steve88M3 Sep 24, 2016

That dial is beautiful. Enjoy!

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 26, 2016

My wife really loves wearing her Nomos Tetra, and I also enjoy my Tangente very much. I met up with a friend over the summer who had their world timer on, and I have to say it's the first world timer model from any brand that I've actually found attractive.

Congrats on the Nomos!

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 26, 2016

Nomos is really making a name for themselves in "affordable", Bauhaus style designs with in house movements. I love their designs. Congrats and enjoy.

19. mrchan Sep 26, 2016

My first Nomos too
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. cottonlume Sep 28, 2016

I'm really starting to warm up to this brand