Forums Latest Members

My First Luxury Watch (Speedy Pro) (Omega Pen?)

1. JNicko Apr 30, 2017

Hello, all
    I've just today gotten my first luxury watch, and my first Omega. It was a present for my 21st from my father, so I'm really grateful to him.

I first saw the Speedmaster Pro in the window of a jewelers last year and it really caught my eye, and after reading its history, it just felt like a perfect match for me, considering that I'm an Aerospace Engineering student at university.

The watch was bought brand new from an AD, so it's covered for at least the next 3 years. I'll definitely be going back to get myself a leather strap down the line!

I'll be wearing the watch as my daily watch, and was wondering if you guys have any simple tips to help keep the watch in shape, such as how to and when often to wash it.

Also, I got given a pen by the dealer who was appreciative of my interests in the watch, and he mentioned that the pen wasn't purchasable and only given to a few 'nice people'. I'm just wondering what its rarity is, I have no plans on ever selling it, since it's a part of my 21st birthday present, but I'd like to know how appreciative I should be towards the dealer

thumbnail_20170430_213346.jpg thumbnail_20170430_213554.jpg thumbnail_20170430_213833.jpg

Oh, and I can't leave this without giving a shout out to my watch for the past 3 years, a nice little Raymond Weil Tango

thumbnail_20170430_213745.jpg

I'll expand my collection somewhere down the line once I have a job and can afford it by myself, perhaps a nice Rolex Milgauss, but for now, I'm absolutely over the moon with my speedy pro!

Cheers : )

2. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 30, 2017

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations. It's a beautiful watch which will give you a lifetime of service. There's a lot to learn here, so stick around and enjoy.

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 30, 2017

Congrats on turning 21 and congrats on the new Speedy. I turned 65 the other day and would really like that pen for my birthday :whistling:

Jwit, ahartfie, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.
  4. CleverUserName07 Apr 30, 2017

Ha, "over the moon"... I see what you did there. Congrats!

5. watch3s Apr 30, 2017

welcome! as it is a chronograph watch, do not wash it, wipe down gently if you must

6. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Apr 30, 2017

Congrats, @JNicko! :thumbsup:

Just a heads up...you can utilize the large accessory bin regarding taking a pic from inside the presentation box with the main lid fully closed. Place your phone camera inside the large accessory bin with the timer and flash functions engaged...mash the pic button...fully close the main lid...KABOOM...you have a pic from inside your presentation box with the main lid fully closed! Tons of fun...in my humble opinion! :D

IMG_4811.JPG

Longbow, blufinz52, Jwit and 3 others like this.
  7. ras47 Apr 30, 2017

I don't know about dollar value of the pen, but it's a super nice thing to have. I'd be VERY appreciative of my AD if he threw in that pen. Don't be afraid to use it now and then too!

ahartfie likes this.
  8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 30, 2017

Yes, but we all know you're...um...how should I say it...eccentric?
    BTW, @JNicko, nice watch.

Longbow, Jwit, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  9. bdatki Apr 30, 2017

A classic watch, and a generous gift! Congrats for your graduation. Polywatch will take out scratches in the Hesalite.

10. speedybob Apr 30, 2017

Welcome to the forum JNicko. Really nice watch you have there[emoji106]

11. michael22 Apr 30, 2017

Dude!!!!! You need to stretch your horizons, get out a bit.::psy::

Regards the pen. I know nothing, but salesmen give them away. How rare could it be?
    Nice thought, & he is feathering his own nest: 21yo guy studying to be an engineer = many years of repeat custom. Enjoy.

12. kkt Apr 30, 2017

If only Schrodinger had had a presentation box!

Happy birthday to the OP! What a nice present! I didn't get anything as nice as that for my 21st :(

The water resistance on the speedy pro is pretty modest. Okay if you get caught in the rain, but take it off in the shower or swimming. Don't wash in water. Put money aside for service costing $400-500 every five years. Enjoy!

13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 30, 2017

Yea JNicko!!! Happy birthday to you and nice first post with photographs! Good lookin' Speedy.

Mad Dog may be eccentric, but he's our eccentric.

Jwit, ahartfie, Tritium and 1 other person like this.
  14. sky21 Apr 30, 2017

Welcome to OF, great first post! Love the 21st b-day gift, what a dad! Enjoy your watch for years to come and good luck with the rest of your studies.

15. orfew Apr 30, 2017

Great looking watch. Congratulations and best of luck in your program of study.

16. Sculler22 Apr 30, 2017

I'll add my congratulations, and offer a bit of advice. Stop by the AD, on your own, and thank the dealer for the gift. At that time, you can add that his gesture will keep you coming back over the years. You will have started a personal relationship with the dealer, and you will both benefit over the long term. This advice is totally transferrable in this age of online communication. It is amazing how being able to put a name and a face together will enhance most relationships.

kkt, Jwit, ahartfie and 4 others like this.
  17. Longbow May 1, 2017

Welcome JNicko!
    My advice would be to simply enjoy it; don't baby it. You have the archetypal aerospace engineers watch and it's going to accompany you on the whole journey. Every scratch and ding will remind you of some event in your training and career, which will be an interesting and hopefully long one.

My other advice (as a fellow aerospace engineer) would be learn some foreign languages e.g. French/German which will be useful if you head towards Airbus, or some version of Chinese which could help with Comac or any US/European systems companies supplying them.

Get yourself signed up with the Royal Aeronautical Society and keep your eye on everything to do with Systems Engineering (especially model-based).

And like Sculler22 says, make friends with your AD or Boutique and the freebies will flow.
    IMG_3428.JPG

Cheers

Nick

18. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 1, 2017

Congratulations @JNicko on the B-day, watch, everything! You've got a good eye for watches with a strong geek-factor -- a Milgauss would be a fantastic watch to aspire to (when you're fully employed and making lots of money)

One of the most beautiful features of your new Speedmaster -- the acrylic crystal -- inevitably will get dinged and scratched. This product (which you should order right away) will take care of those dings and scratches so effectively that it seems like magic:

47_001PolyWatch__90542_1477083118_500_750.jpg
    image credit: esslinger.com

ahartfie likes this.
  19. watch72 May 3, 2017

Congratulations! On your BD and getting this wonderful present from your dad. You should go and give the old man a hug and maybe do something to show how much you love him.