Forums Latest Members

My first luxury watch (Speedy, duh)

1. harbwe5 Jul 31, 2017

A couple of months ago I pulled the trigger on my first luxury watch: a Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005. This is my story.

When I was in high school my father purchased a Breitling Colt quartz watch. I knew it was expensive and it looked beautiful, but otherwise I didn't know much about fine timepieces. Outside of Rolex my awareness of other brands was pretty limited. My father has a passion for aviation and Breitling is strongly associated with flying. I have always loved this watch, not only because it's an attractive piece, but even more so because it is my father's and he wore it daily for a long time. I let him know this often. I, mostly jokingly, told him that whenever he upgraded or grew his collection I would be happy to provide a home for this watch. Although I've long admired his watch I didn't invest much time looking into watches - given the expense I figured it would be a long time before I owned one. He added a B01 Navitimer to his collection a couple of years ago and I have continued my claims to his Colt.

Fast forward to this past Christmas and I was stunned as my father gifted me his Colt (he wears his Navitimer daily). As I quickly found out, one does not dip his toe into watches. You get sucked into a roaring river of choices, emotions and $$$. I love the Colt and wore it daily. Almost immediately I dove head first into reading about watches. It didn't take long for me to find my next watch (and my first purchase): the Speedy Pro. In late May I purchased the Speedy Pro and thoroughly enjoy equally rotating between it and my Colt.

I enjoy reading several watch forums, but I think this is the most authentic of all and the knowledge here is second to none. Thank you for reading and an even bigger thank you for all the information provided here!

In case anyone is wondering I've got quite a list of watches I'm interested in adding, but honestly, I am most likely to pick up about 5 more Speedy Pros before I buy anything else...

Requisite pics below (and also is it required to be a professional photographer to be a WIS? Everyone's photos are so good - apologies in advance for my iPhone 7 pictures...):
    breitling1.jpg omega1.jpg omega2.jpg omega3.jpg

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 31, 2017

Welcome to OF and love the watches. Great choice on the Speedy Pro :thumbsup:

3. herold Jul 31, 2017

Congrats!

4. pianomankd Jul 31, 2017

Congrats and welcome!!

5. Ritzwatch Jul 31, 2017

Nicely done, by you AND by your Dad.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 31, 2017

Welcome!

I thought I was going to hate the quartz Colt... key word is thought! Killer piece!

7. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 31, 2017

Well done. Speedy Pro was my first "luxury " watch after I got a Tissot years earlier. This is a great forum. Remember to read first and ask questions later and you'll really love it here.

8. Meme-Dweller Jul 31, 2017

That is one big Breitling! Congrats on the Speedy. Good choice!

9. speedybob Jul 31, 2017

Welcome to the OF harbwe5, and congratulations on the Speedy Pro.

10. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jul 31, 2017

Welcome to OF

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 31, 2017

Welcome to the Forum. Glad you're here.

Nice "first post" introductory narrative. Great watches!

12. SlowhandBuzz Aug 1, 2017

Great pair you have!! A Chrono Colt was my first nice watch purchase and Speedy Pro my second.

13. silversnopy13 Aug 15, 2017

Congratulations and welcome to the Speedmaster club. Wear it with Omega Pride. Next, a limited edition Speedmaster.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 15, 2017

Mrs Standy loves her Brietling

image.jpeg

15. ras47 Aug 15, 2017

Great story. I had a couple Seamasters over the years but I don't think of them as luxury watches. Just nice tool watches. I finally got my grail watch, a Rolex GMT2 Pepsi. That woke something in me and I added an Omega Speedmaster a couple weeks later. Now I'm looking at several other Rolexes and Omegas. Oy vey! :)

16. Df13 Aug 15, 2017

It's funny. I've gone the opposite direction, and I sold all my Rolex and other watches to only wear a single Aqua Terra every day. lol