Forums Latest Members

My first forum trade - any advice?

1. danielbird193 Oct 27, 2019

So I've just found my perfect watch (38.5mm blue teak dial Aqua Terra) for a great price on the sales forum of another site (WatchUSeek). The seller is located in the same city as me and is open to a face-to-face trade which makes me feel a bit more confident than sending money to someone I've never met. He has one positive feedback review on WUS and all the pictures and responses to my questions seem to check out.

All of that said, I'm still a bit nervous about spending such a large amount of money with a stranger. Does anyone here have any advice on things I should watch out for before I decide to go ahead with the deal?

2. Lotus_Eater8815 Oct 27, 2019

Maybe he’s a collector and just doesn’t trade/sell most of his pieces. Do your homework on the piece, esp videos of how the watch handles. If you’re concerned about authenticating, bring a loupe to check. If you still have doubts, take lots of pictures and if you’re still unsure, post it here for review. You said you’re in the same city so meeting up again to finalize won’t be too much of a problem. If its a meetup, try and suggest a public place. If he’s cool, you’re likely okay. Good luck! Come back and post pics, lots of ‘em :)

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 27, 2019

One positive feedback :whistling:

I would want more than that to meet someone without 2 mates with me....

4. glownyc Oct 27, 2019

Or meet at someplace secure like a police station.

asrnj77 likes this.
  5. Millenary Watches Oct 27, 2019

One reference is a bit weak, but everyone starts at 0;) You've already gotten some good tips. Meet at a public place and make sure you do your research about the model so you can inspect it and quickly notice if anything is off.

Good luck!

WatchCor and Sidnos like this.
  6. danielbird193 Oct 27, 2019

Thanks for the advice everyone, if I go ahead I'll post some pics!

jrv1224 likes this.
  7. asrnj77 Oct 27, 2019

I like this one. I interpret this as “if he doesn’t pull out a knife and cut you immediately you’re probably okay but he could still be a serial killer” :p

OP - meet in a police station if you can but otherwise listen to your gut and if it seems ok, meet at the mall food court and call it a day.

DaveK likes this.
  8. Walrus Oct 27, 2019

Meet at a jewler to have it checked it. If it’s fake or a scam of some sort he will say ok but not show up. You will be good I sell loads of things face to face never had a problem.

9. danielbird193 Oct 27, 2019

This is a great idea - now just need to find a friendly jeweler or watchmaker who would be prepared to check it out!

10. Evitzee Oct 27, 2019

Many jewelers and watch people couldn't spot a fake these days so that is not a sure fire way to avoid being scammed, and many will not want to be involved in a transaction if there is no benefit ($) to them and which may put themselves at risk. I've done lots of F2F deals over the years with no issues, so don't get too paranoid. There are few scammers who are going to go through all the trouble listing stuff online, corresponding with potential buyers, and setting up a F2F transaction with the idea of robbing them. Meeting at a police station is a little over the top and doesn't set a good tone for either side, imo, but meet at some fairly public place like a decent restaurant, hotel lobby, bank, etc. Remember, you want some privacy to do the transaction so you don't want loads of people observing you. If you aren't comfortable spending money with a stranger that really means you aren't comfortable in being able to detect a bum deal or a fake watch. No harm in that, but just be aware of what you are concerned about. Maybe you aren't ready to do deals with complete strangers.

11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 27, 2019

even though I was the seller in my FTF transaction, with the wonders of the internet, I knew everything about the buyer. I am sure it was vis versa. Probably could have told you what he had for dinner the night before. If you are not comfortable, them don't do it.

Edited Oct 27, 2019
  12. Dan S Oct 27, 2019

Face-to-face or remote, I suggest just trading enough information to develop the necessary comfort level. If the seller won't share his info, you may just want to pass on the deal. You mention that it's a "great price", but if it's too good to be true, that's also a red flag. Have you received a custom photo to verify that he has the watch in his possession?

Syrte likes this.
  13. Walrus Oct 27, 2019

Ya you might need to throw the jewler a some dough but at least you can open it up take a closer look. I think the gentleman is in the city. If you can find a decent watch maker he will know. I’m not talking about a mall jewelers