Forums Latest Members

My first foray ... 60's Omega Seamster w/linen dial

1. cubsfan Oct 6, 2015

Hello everyone! This is my first post to share my first vintage watch and to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. I've been lurking around the past couple of weeks trying to learn as much as I could after receiving the following gift from my wife for our 15th anniversary.

Anyway at first I was worried since she got it off eBay, it didn't look like a "traditional" seamster to me, the "S" in seamster seemed particularly contrived, and she doesn't have much watch savvy (to my knowledge). But I think she did great.

At first I was very worried since I couldn't find this very particular model anywhere. Yes I saw the linen dial, and cross haired models, end eventually the abnormal (to me) hash marks at the 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 and 11 positions (but not with linen dial). Then finally I saw one archived photo of this very model on a watch forum and felt relieved. It indicated it was a 1964 Seamaster (obviously calibre 552). Too bad I was moving too quickly to remember what site I saw it on (perhaps even here).

These pictures are from the eBay sale and are accurate to what I received, except I cannot verify the inner workings since I don't have a case opener for smooth backs. The watch was sold from Switzerland (not that they don't have fakes there....but its better than buying blind from Thailand I imagine). Also, she won it in an auction style sale format with 8 or 9 separate bidders totaling like 20-25 bids. Meaning other people at least thought it a decent specimen. And, it looks "appropriate" for its age, including the worn case, dial and crystal. The band, of course, is new. But, what say you all? $_57-11.JPG $_57-10.JPG $_57-9.JPG $_57-8.JPG $_57-7.JPG $_57-6.JPG $_57-5.JPG $_57-4.JPG $_57-3.JPG $_57-2.JPG $_57.JPG

PatrickJ, TNTwatch and KCScott like this.
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 6, 2015

I have a Seamaster in the same era and the font looks like this with a different m

Seamasterscripts003.jpg

3. Audley Yung Oct 6, 2015

very interesting texture!

4. cubsfan Oct 6, 2015

hmmm....you made me look at other examples. I have seen three types of the font where it goes from the "a" to the "m" in seamster. Some are like yours where the diagonal-up from the "a" is mimicked in the diagonal-up within the "m". Others are much lower from the "a" to the "m" where the carry from the "a" is at the bottom of the "m", not the middle. And then there is mine..... Also, I've seen three basic "e" types for the first "e" following the capital "S". Diagonal up into the "e" like yours, more flat/horizontal into the "e" like mine.

So, were these things hand stenciled which might account for the differences? Or were they machine stenciled in which case some are authentic and others are either redials or fakes? Any other tells?

Thanks!

5. TNTwatch Oct 7, 2015

Not just the m, but also the S, the s and both of the e are different too. It's just a variation on the dial along the unique logo position and the nice linen finish.

Congrats to your wife for picking up a really nice and quite unique watch!

PatrickJ likes this.
  6. PatrickJ Oct 7, 2015

That hook S in Seamaster is ok you will find that other vintage seamasters have a smooth S

7. PatrickJ Oct 7, 2015

The dial to me looks original, good fonts. I am still learning, I have sold my vintage watches apart from one and have a brand new speedy. My mind is at rest as the Omega boutique do not sell redial or franken watches. I will admire from a distance till I am knowledgable enough to buy again. Even with a lot of homework I found it tricky and feel I have a lot to learn before pulling the trigger again.

8. PatrickJ Oct 7, 2015

Also on some models Omega used companies like Singer in the 60s to do the dials for them. Some of the fonts they used are quite different to what Omega use. This applies more to the Geneve line rather than the Seamaster.

9. Canuck Oct 7, 2015

Nice way to start a collection! Your wife did well. You mentioned an opener for a smooth case back. This model doesn't have a removeable back. Access to the movement is through the front, as shown in the ninth photo in your post which shows the watch with the bezel and crystal removed.

10. cubsfan Oct 8, 2015

Thanks everyone!