Forums Latest Members
  1. fzhu052 Aug 18, 2016

I love the dial so much that I bought it without knowing anything else. I just received it yesterday. The dial still looks stunning. But the case is very polished - I can see the original condition between the lugs. One thing I do not feel comfortable is total lack of anything on the back. No seahorse, no 'waterproof' etc. I will open the case during weekend. But what do you guys thinks right now? Thanks, Frank

Note: new pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Aug 18, 2016
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 18, 2016

Not sure the crystal is correct. The dial is T SWISS MADE T but it doesn't look like there are lume dots on the dial or lume on the end sections of the hands. But the dial photo isn't the best for being sure.

3. fzhu052 Aug 18, 2016

You are absolutely right. There is no lume at all! What does it mean? A redial?

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 18, 2016

Clearer pics would help, as the lume at the markers would likely be small dots on the outside end. If there is none, and the infilled areas at the ends of the hands are black vs lume, then it could mean the 'furniture' and hands were replaced, or someone added Ts to the dial, or anything in between. A pic or two of the movement and case back could also help to confirm if only some dial work was done, or if someone assembled pieces from different watches to make this one.

There are many forum members who will be able to provide you with better info then I can. I am pretty new at this, and do not know the intricacies of many of the models.

5. Edward53 Aug 18, 2016

Looks fine to me. Not all Seamasters had lumed hands.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 18, 2016

True, but all hands with T dials likely did. Otherwise, it would be a tad difficult to read in the dark.

Edward53 likes this.
  7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 18, 2016

Dial looks original to me, and hands have been changed. Although, I note the hands are skeletonised, but can't really tell what is in the hour hand end. Could be degraded tritium.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 18, 2016

Looks like you changed the pics in the OP, which then makes the initial responses confusing. The new dial photo shows the fill material is gone from at least the hour hand, so it is possible it could have had tritium at the end section. And the second photo looks like there may be tritium dots at the ends of the markers. So that really helps make it look like there may not be a lume issue pointing to dial work after all.

9. fzhu052 Aug 18, 2016

Yes I uploaded the new pictures and replaced the old ones. The new ones were taken by macro lens and are clearer. Sorry for the confusion.

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 18, 2016

Thanks for clarifying. As i said I am pretty new to this myself, so having my initial replay hanging out there no longer tracking with the photos was making me feel even greener then I actually am. :D

11. fzhu052 Aug 18, 2016

Adding picture for the hands. Sorry for the reflection.

Btw, where can I find the info regarding 'Swiss made', 'Swiss made T', and 'T Swiss Made T'? I now understand it means something about the lume.

[​IMG]

12. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 18, 2016

By the look of the hands it seems they have black inserts and so I would say they are incorrect. They have probably been switched at some stage during a service. Hands may be difficult to get.

Ts besides Swiss made denote the presence of tritium, a luminous substance that was used after radium was discovered to be so dangerous. The Ts were required by Swiss regulation to denote the number of millicuries present in the lume. Earlier Omega models around 1962 had one T whereas later models had two.

So the standard for 60s vintage and watches prior to the introduction of Superluminova is for the Ts to be present in luminous models. If you have non-luminous hands but double T on the bottom, it is a simple extrapolation that the hands have been substituted, particularly in this example where traces of luminous material can be seen on the dial.

13. fzhu052 Aug 18, 2016

Thanks everyone for the input. My take away is: dial is original and the hands are later (wrong) replacement. I understand without the movement and case back, it is impossible to make sure everything is right. But I really appreciate the input here. Thanks all!

14. chadpowe11 Aug 19, 2016

Tritium is present on the dial just little plots at the end of each marker. Also the hands seem correct each hour maker has a black insert on the end and tritium but degraded so would go with the black insert in the hands, I may be completely wrong.

15. François Pépin Aug 20, 2016

It seems to me as well.

16. fzhu052 Aug 20, 2016