My first Constellation with options

Hi Omega Family,

I'm have been offered one of two Constellations. The below and another with a date and more gold capping (unfortunately i don't have pictures of the second option) but it's in similar condition.

I have been researching and I think it's a Ref: 14381, incorrect crown, and a heavily patinated dial.

Questions:
1) Can you guide me on the case model and movement as i cannot open the case back (no tool).
2) Is the case correct? It looks like a three (3) piece case and the centrepiece is steel.
3) Is the complication a personal preference or is the date worth more?

Let me know your thoughts...

Are you certain that you don’t want to wait for a better example? I don’t find that dial attractive.

Are you certain that you don’t want to wait for a better example? I don’t find that dial attractive.
Hi @gbesq - Yes, ideally I would. BUT for U$D 200 can I really go wrong?

1) Can you guide me on the case model and movement as i cannot open the case back (no tool).
2) Is the case correct? It looks like a three (3) piece case and the centrepiece is steel.
3) Is the complication a personal preference or is the date worth more?

The amount of 200$-Omegas you find is interesting. Can’t go wrong for that money, even though the dial will be unattractive to many and the correct crown is gone. Parts alone are worth more.

1. 14381 it might well be, it’d have a cal 551. The tools to open casebacks really aren’t expensive. Since you seem to buy cheap Omegas that need work very regularly this might be a worthwhile investment.

Case looks correct to me. Not sure what you mean by 3-piece case, the top (gold) part is the bezel, then you have the steel case and the steel caseback, the latter has the gold Constellation medallion in the middle.

If anything, I’d say the no-date are worth more. I’m not following these as much but with 167.005/168.005 and 14900/14902 etc I’d say that the refs without date fetch a premium of maybe 5+% or so. It’s not very significant though, in the end I’d say personal preference.

At $200 USD it is a buy.......only if it has an authentic Omega Movement inside that is not all rusted.

Parts watch at the least.

Yep at $200 it's a buy. The hands are actually pretty nice.

Do you want to buy a watch to wear or do you calculate an investment?

In other words is the dial condition acceptable for you and will you enjoy wearing the watch?

I've never bought a watch to sell on. I wear and enjoy all of them.

I gift some to family and will pass all of them onto my kids. I'd like to know if it's good value but that's just for curiosity!

UPDATE:

Back from service and working well.

As predicted by @MtV it's a 14831 with a 551.
Yes, the dial is damaged but overall I like the vibe!

You can pick up some cool distressed straps from places like Hodinkee that might look good on this watch and match the dial. It's personal taste of course.

It's a $1000 pie pan for $200 - I think the patina is beautiful too, well done