Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe4x2 Jan 6, 2015

I just purchased & received my first constellation from the forums. Overall the watch is nice - it runs great and is keeping time. However after reading through Desmond's blog and comparing pictures - I don't see too many that look like mine (especially for 168.005 cal 561) so it hard to compare exactly.

The serial is in the low 20 million. There is Lume on the markers - the hour and minute hands are a faded black.

Would someone please give me some feedback on this one?

Thank you

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

Looks like a nice original constellation from 1963/1964ish, the case is a bit polished but otherwise looks good. I'm a little unclear about what you're saying about the hands..do they have black inserts or are you saying they are black, its hard to tell from your picture? Either way its possible that the hands were replaced, not too big a deal as these are not too hard to source (these look like dauphine hands which is correct for this watch but they should have luminus inserts). I will suggest you get this serviced before regular use as it looks like the rotor has been rubbing the case back and this is just a good idea in general. You did better than many with your first Constellation, congratulations!:thumbsup:

3. ChrisN Jan 6, 2015

Are you thinking this should be a pie-pan? My 168.0005 is a pie-pan, here is a picture:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/should-i-take-the-risks-to-buy-this-connie-online.19305/#post-209111

If you look at the fonts and thicknesses, yours looks fine. I had not realised these came in a non pie-pan dial but am no expert in that.

Plus 1 on the service, mine is very tight in the case and has also had rubbing issues in the past. Apart from the rotor, which looks like a replacement judging by the colour, the rest of the movement looks quite nice and should clean up well.

Cheers, Chris

4. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

I've had a few of these over the years and all of them were pie-pan dials now that you mention it but I thought I'd seen these with a domed dial in the past. Could be wrong here, this might be a job for Desmond!

5. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

My current 168.005...
    Wrist Shot, 6.JPG

sryukon, boat2dan and ChrisN like this.
  6. Joe4x2 Jan 6, 2015

@Hijak - the hands have a black insert which appear to be painted (?) in the center. I tried my best to capture the hands in this picture.

image.jpg

7. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

Well first off excuse my manners and welcome to the forum! And from your new picture it looks like degraded or old tritium in the hands as it is supposed to be with this dial. Someone might have even tried to relume the hands unsuccessfully. If you look at my watch above you can see that it has the black inserts (black onyx material) and that material would not degrade like this. The good news is from this new picture I think your hands might be original to this dial. A better picture highlighting the hands would be more definitive but looks pretty good from here. I think you did well here for your first constellation, its a mine field out there, this is a win in my book. Congrats and enjoy!

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 6, 2015

The reference came with both the pie-pan and dome dials. While the dome dials are a bit less common, the collectors want the pie-pans, so the price on those is considerably higher.

BTW, I've seen many 167(or 8).005's with the scalloped crown instead of the 10-sided version. Including my own:

[​IMG]

All looks correct to me.
    gatorcpa

Joe4x2 and ChrisN like this.
  9. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

I had one too, sold this one a bit ago...
    Wrist Shot, 4.JPG

sryukon and Joe4x2 like this.
  10. Joe4x2 Jan 6, 2015

Thank you for the feedback. I just wanted a second opinion because I was having a hard time searching for pictures to compare against - as most of the dials are of the pie pan version.

11. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

Any time, that's what the forum is for, glad to help out. Omega issued many dial variations for any given watch, some rarer than others, its not always easy to find a comparable version. Any time you're not sure please ask before you buy, it could save you a lot of money!:thumbsup:

Joe4x2 likes this.