Forums Latest Members
  1. Txstargazer3 Apr 24, 2016

image.jpeg

Attached are some photos of my father's Omega Constellation. I know nothing about it and was hoping some of the experts here might be able to fill in some info. It has great sentimental value to me, so I would like some advice on how I go about getting it serviced. It is running and keeps good time. Are there trusted experts on the forum that you would recommend? I think the crown was replaced with a non-Omega one some time in the past. Thanks for any guidance you can share.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited Apr 24, 2016
    Jones in LA and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. Txstargazer3 Apr 24, 2016

Also, I have no idea how old this is, what movement is inside or how to attempt removing the back (or even if I should try to do it myself). My father died in 1985, so I have no means of tracing how old it is through family connections.

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 24, 2016

It has a lumed dial with no T next to Swiss Made so I guess it was manufactured in 1962 or 63 and powered by a 561

OMGRLX and Txstargazer3 like this.
  4. Txstargazer3 Apr 24, 2016

Thank you!

5. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 24, 2016

1. If the watch has not been used or had a service for a long time - do not use it until you have had it serviced.
    2. Do not try to open the watch yourself. https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-warning-you-morons-and-do-it-yourselfers.37759/
    3. Find a good independent watchmaker that is well versed in vintage watches. Tell him you want the movement serviced, new seals and a crown as close to original as possible. You do not want him to polish the case.
    4. If you like the crystal with the magnifyer - keep it - but I would recommend a Omega replacement without it.

Nitzbar, OMGRLX and Txstargazer3 like this.
  6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 24, 2016

Welcome to the forum
    -and nice Constellation , a wonderful memento of your father
    Your watch is gold capped -with a very nice cross hair pie pan dial and 'dog leg' case
    If you can tell us where you are - if in the US the state will do - if in Europe (or elsewhere ) the country. - the members should be able to recommend a suitable watchmaker for you to get your watch serviced
    Best not to try and take the back off yourself
    If you intend to wear the watch - have it serviced first or you may damage the movement
    Google Desmond's Constellation collectors blog for lots of info on Connies
    Hope that helps

jagwah and Txstargazer3 like this.
  7. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Apr 24, 2016

Is it safe to assume you are in the Lone Star state? If so, then perhaps some folks can recommend a good watchmaker for you.

Txstargazer3 likes this.
  8. Txstargazer3 Apr 24, 2016

Thank you for the help. I consider the magnifier to be a distraction. I would like this to be brought back to as original condition as possible. Wow, there are some horror photos on that casebook opening thread! My father rarely wore this watch, so it has been in its case most of its life and is in pristine cosmetic condition. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but will ship to a trusted vintage Omega watchmaker. Any suggestions?

jagwah likes this.
  9. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Apr 24, 2016

I was born and raised in Big D, but its been 30 years since I lived there, so I'm sorry I can't help you. Heck, I bet half my favorite dive bars or Tex-Mex places are gone now. Hopefully someone will come along with a recommendation for you.
    That's a gorgeous Connie. Enjoy it and wear it in good health

Txstargazer3 likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 24, 2016

Ask your watchmaker once found to take a picture of the movements and case back and all info will be revealed

Model number on case back
    Serial and cal numbers on movement

OMGRLX and Txstargazer3 like this.
  11. Txstargazer3 Apr 24, 2016

Thanks Standby, will do!

12. Omegaholic Apr 24, 2016

Is it quick-set date? It means date can be changed by pulling out and pushing in the crown.

If it is, the movement should be 564. If not, it is 561.

Remember, try to do it gently.

Txstargazer3 likes this.
  13. Txstargazer3 Apr 24, 2016

No, that doesn't change the date so I guess it is the 561. Thanks!

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 25, 2016

Txstargazer3 likes this.
  15. Txstargazer3 Apr 25, 2016

Ye, Peemacgee, winding through 12 then back through 9 and up through 12 again advances the date, so it seems I do indeed have the 561 movement. Thanks!

16. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 25, 2016

Wow, what a beautiful example! Your father and/or whomever gave it to him certainly has good taste. Wear it in good health!

Txstargazer3 likes this.
  17. Txstargazer3 Apr 25, 2016

Thank you. My father made some custom display cases for a jeweler and he was so pleased with the result that he gave this beauty to my father an an extra "thank you"!

Jones in LA likes this.