Forums Latest Members
  1. UpstateNYGuy Dec 15, 2018

Hi All,

This is my father’s watch. I recently inherited this. I know he had it by 1972 because i have a picture of him wearing it with this band. I recently found a couple links online that i purchased so that i canfit this on my wrist. I will be taking this in for service in the new year. To my knowledge, the watch and band are original to when he purchased it, which was between 1969 and 1972, probably in New York city.

From research on this forum, i believe this is a 168.029, gold bezel, No. 12 or 1175 bracelet. The clasp is marked No. 12 and stamped 6-70. The end links are stamped 77.

Really I am posting here to see if you guys have any information onthis watch model. I really like the look of it. I remember this watch growing up, so it is very sentimental to me. Unfortunately my dad passed over 15 years ago but only now did i get this watch. It runs for a few seconds at a time, so i am trying to keep it with the crown out to stop from running until i can get it serviced.

Thanks for any information, friends!

Best wishes

2E40CBA7-2A70-4F6C-A27D-9F9A6531C3B1.jpeg FEF97DE0-3C84-43E2-8136-1919FE8A3E48.jpeg 19835C07-0798-46EE-BDBC-BB34697689AD.jpeg A0EA05EA-188F-4FCD-897C-5424879DC311.jpeg
    Shabbaz, ConElPueblo, Rochete and 4 others like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 15, 2018

Hi and Welcome.

I think you've done some good investigating, all the points you raise are correct, it has a solid yellow gold bezel and the watch houses a caliber 751. It looks to be in good condition and has an original Omega bracelet which was an option when purchasing watches in that period (normally they came on a strap).

Getting it serviced is important if you intend to wear it, don't bother sending it to Omega, a reputable watchmaker can do the service no probs.

Make sure you only get the bracelet and case cleaned gently and do not allow the case to be polished.

Cheers
    Jim

3. CdnWatchDoc Dec 15, 2018

+1, Jim is totally correct! Nice piece to jog those memories of your father

4. UpstateNYGuy Dec 16, 2018

Thanks Jim for your advice. I assume the fear is aggressive over polishing of the case and band so it loses all charm. I will tell the watchmaker as you advise.

I wonder if this will end up keeping time as well as my relatively modern Seamaster (2008).

Again thanks for confirming the model and telling me the movement number.

5. ConElPueblo Dec 16, 2018

What that man said :)

I believe the bezel is white gold not yellow, but that's a minor point. The 751 movement is pretty much the last hurrah for what is probably the most lauded series of Omega movements ever made, which powered the finest Omegas in more than a decade - I am sure that it will keep excellent time when it has been serviced properly. It looks as if some of the black filling in the minute hand has come off, hopefully your watchmaker is confident in seeing to this. It ought'n be more than some black paint applied from the back of the hand and possibly some lacquer on both hands to stabilise the brittle material.

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  6. UpstateNYGuy Dec 17, 2018

Thanks for your observations, I appreciate it. I will ask the watchmaker and see what he says. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience, so I am going to have to see what he says and then take it from there.

As for the bezel, it is very yellow in person, and the letters on the dial are all yellow as well. So, not sure if the bezel was white gold on the stainless, and then it faded, but it looks like yellow gold at least to me. But again, I am guessing you have some further context. Also, I have heard that the yellow can come out over time from white gold, but not sure that is what is happening.

I can tell you that I am very excited about being able to wear this watch. Just waiting till next week when I am on vacation to be able to take this in for service.

Yes thanks! It is a little piece of family history.

7. ConElPueblo Dec 17, 2018

Only other context is that is more common in white than yellow gold, but if you say it is yellow, I naturally believe you. It looked closer to white gold to me, but then again; I recently bought a steel watch over the internet only to realise that it was gold plated when it arrived - I may not be the most qualified guy to listen to :D

JimInOz likes this.