Forums Latest Members

My Dream List (Pictures But Wordy As Ever)

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 15, 2015

My watch focus is automatic Swiss chronographs in non-precious metal cases. I should say "current" focus, because 1) 30 years of collecting has shown me my focus changes from time to time, and 2) I haven't expanded my horizons to include manual wind or non-Swiss watches. The incredibly gorgeous Lange Datograph comes to mind. I don't really care that it's not Swiss, but (as far as I know) Lange offers no automatic chronographs and no models that are encased in a non-precious metal case. I haven't explored Glashutte.
    I have assembled a list of automatic Swiss chronographs that represent my dream list: a dream only because my watch fund grows so slowly I have no hope (given my current priorities) of completing the list. Or even coming close. But we all love to dream/research/devise plans, etc.
    There are some models I like, but have left off for different reasons. Three I can think of:
    1) an example from Blancpain. I like the Fifty Fathoms, but as chronographs with Frederic Piguet-based movements go, I already have three on the list including one with a Flyback feature;
    2) IWC Portugese Yacht Club. I have long been a fan of IWC, even (honestly? Especially!) models that started with Valjoux 7750-based movements. Sadly, the in-house movement seems to have problems that have not been addressed. Double sad because it is very attractive to me with its mono-register hour and minute counter, and Flyback function;
    3) Omega Speedmaster '57 blue dial. Love the blue, and the red accents (and the bracelet). But on my list is another Omega I think will be beyond satisfactory.
    Why am I posting this? Maybe someone relates to the same interest. Perhaps there is/are glaring ommision(s) from the list. There may be one on the list that someone feels very strongly doesn't belong. If anyone is inspired to make a comment please do so.
    Here we (I?) go, starting with my most coveted, and showing my preference for dial and band options. Most photos from the manufacturer websites, except the discontinued IWC GST PC.
    Is it a coincidence the order loosely follows the cost of the models in descending order?

1) Patek Philippe Nautilus, reference 5980/1A.
    [​IMG]
    This doesn't really belong on the list because after 30-years of collecting, I finally saved up enough (accumulated sufficient trade bait) to acquire this last October. This is mine I'm wearing today (hmm...needs a bath). I'm the guy in the bezel reflection (Hi!) One down, seven to go...

2) Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    [​IMG]

3) Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph (not Offshore)
    [​IMG]

4) Rolex Daytona 116520
    [​IMG]

5) IWC GST Perpetual
    [​IMG]

6) Breguet XXI TransAtlantique reference 3810
    [​IMG]

7) Omega Grey Side of the Moon
    [​IMG]

8) Zenith Stratos Flyback Rainbow
    [​IMG]

Since I already have the priciest one, should I start at the top and save for the VC Overseas? Or start at the other bookend and get the lowest priced example? Problem with the latter is I prefer the Omega Speedmaster '57 blue dial to the Zenith Stratos, but don't want both Omegas. The other issue is, historically speaking, I trade up adding cash to my current watch (and rarely, if not never, come out ahead on the deal) to land the next one up. The only advantage to this method is I'll get a taste of the less pricey examples and I'll be able to decide if I really want to "go back" and get it.

Edited Sep 15, 2015
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 15, 2015

Interesting list. I notice they are all modern? Nothing vintage?

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 15, 2015

I did vintage for several years. I still have an appreciation for the Valjoux 72 powered chronographs. The El Primero TV model still ranks high. Most of all, I still worship the caliber 321 Speedmaster, specifically the Professional models. My favorite is the 105.012–66CB, followed by the 105.012-65 with the bi-level rear lid.
    I have owned both of those Speedy variations, as well as a beautiful Ed White 105.003-65. I found after owning it I do not prefer the straight lug as many (most?) do.
    Vintage could easily be the future focus that distracts me from the current one. But I must admit I am growing discouraged and concerned that I may not be able to get parts, or have a vintage example serviced as I choose, in the near future. Besides, I may never be able to catch up to the rising prices of vintage Speedmasters!

CanberraOmega likes this.
  4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 15, 2015

A Patek is a Patek is a Patek ::psy::

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 15, 2015

Now I have. Dang...
    Is there room for one more?
    Reminds me a bit of the Nautilus with the squared 70's look:
    Glashütte Seventies Chronograph:
    [​IMG]
    Just not sure where to rank this newly discovered love...

Taddyangle and George.A like this.
  6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 15, 2015

I like your list. And I also love the GO Seventies as a "poor man's" Nautilus. Okay maybe a "less-rich man's" Nautilus.

Time Exposure likes this.
  7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 15, 2015

Today (or, check again tomorrow for the possibility of a different answer), I would slot the GO at number 6, behind the IWC GST PC, but ahead of the Breguet XXI.
    I think...
    Wait...
    :)

8. lillatroll Sep 16, 2015

Some beautiful watches you have there.
    Having a bit of a similar dilemma, not sure wether to keep buying vintage or buy modern mainly due to the access in getting parts. I am in the process of buying a SM300 spectre, but I can't say that I get the same feeling from looking at modern watches as I do seeing my small collection of vintage watches, maybe that will change when I have it on my wrist.

9. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Sep 16, 2015

There's a lot of really ugly watches in that list. Most of them really.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  10. SeanO Sep 16, 2015

Out of left field how about RGM Model 400/455?

DrBeezy likes this.
  11. Fer Seamaster Sep 16, 2015

It is clear you like bracelet and, specially, integrated bracelets!

12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 16, 2015

I often feel the same about watches (and cars). Vintage has a story and a soul. But as I get older I appreciate the advancements in design and construction. Generally speaking, contemporary watches are more accurate and better protected from shock/magnetism, etc., and are more serviceable than vintage. This adds a greater feeling of security to me.

Ten years ago, I would have agreed. I was all about traditional style and materials. As time goes by, I am becoming more open to function and features, and less about the design that contains them.
    You mean this?
    [​IMG]
    It looks great, but so do a dozen other 7750-based up/down register watches with the same movement. I do appreciate RGM, especially the (mostly) American-made movements. But the 400 reminds me of everything from Hamilton to IWC, and I have already "been there."
    True, guilty as charged. But much of my preference is for automatic, high-grade movements in stainless steel. Folks like PP/AP/VC offer only integrated bracelet models (PP has a steel annual calendar 5960 chrono since last year with attached bracelet). I also prefer to start with bracelets from the factory, and (if they're not integrated) add leather straps later. For example, I've had the Daytona on leather (with aftermarket end links) and on a Rubber B.

13. wgwaters Sep 16, 2015

14. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 13, 2015

Revamping my Lottery List:
    I handled the GSotM. Astounding watch, but I think I'll grow bored in no time. Seems more of a novelty than anything.
    Also got to handle the '57 Co-Axials. Those rock! Can't decide between the blue dial/red chrono hand model, or the black dial vintage lume model, but leaning blue for its striking red hand contrast and slightly larger sub-dials.
    So, to the above list, remove GSotM. Remove Zenith Rainbow and replace with Omega '57 Co-Axial blue dial.
    Although I'm not certain about ditching the Zenith, b/c El Primeros are kick-ass, and so are fly-backs.
    Whatever...it's all just a dream with some direction anyway :)

15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 2, 2015

Okay okay take the Omega off the list. Put the Zenith Stratos Rainbow back on the list. Then scratch it off because I got it
    [​IMG]
    BAM! WHAT?!?
    The recent sale at a popular online grey market retailer's website was just too tempting to pass up (57% off retail).
    I know many folks here find it uninteresting/ ugly/ too contemporary, etc. That's okay, it checks my funny little boxes.
    Now I save for the next, whatever that turns out to be...
    Sorry I haven't been around much lately (I know, that makes one of us :) ) but besides the quality of members and their exchanges here, vintage seems to be the strength of this forum. I feel myself pulling away from vintage. I do look for interesting, non-political threads on Open Discussion. Funny how I feel like a part of a family here, and just an observer on another forum. Miss you guys! I'll be around every now and again to see who Dennis @ulackfocus pisses off, who pisses off Al @Archer, and what brilliant, out of (the box/this world) ideas @Mad Dog and the Missus come up with ... ;)

16. serdal22 Dec 2, 2015

A solid list with amazing pieces.

Another piece comes to my mind is a Good Planet GMT. (Foto was borrowed from internet)

[​IMG]

I tried this bad boy at Omega boutique two years ago. What a beautiful beast!

Serdal