Forums Latest Members
  1. Dash1 Jun 1, 2012

Hello fellow Omega fans,
    This is my first post on what looks like a great forum. I've been a vintage Omega fan and collector for over 10 years and it all started with a 1960's cal.321 Speedmaster (as it often does!) I've owned quite a few, have kept some of the better ones, but this one is still my favourite and I wear it day in, day out, showing it very little respect! Luckily they where built tough.
    It's a 105.012-65 with the double bevelled case-back.
    I look forward to seeing what you guys use regularly.

105.012 026.JPG
  2. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2012

Hi Ash. Welcome to Omega Forums. I wear dress shirts & ties at work so my usual watches are of the dress variety. Lately I've been wearing these three at least once a week.

This 1971 AP ultra-thin caliber 2120...

[​IMG]

...and this 1969 AP caliber 2003 Classique....

[​IMG]

...and my favorite - a 2002 VC Malte Grande caliber 1400.

[​IMG]

However, I usually find a reason to wear this 1954 Constellation De Luxe caliber 354 now & again. I have it on a burgundy lizard strap now.

[​IMG]

3. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 1, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Out of the four watches displayed, though the Constellation may be the cheapest in terms of price, I still think it is the most impressive and spectacular watch.

Till today, I just cannot understand as to why people pay so much for a Submariner Red. As for me, the vintage Rolex Day-Date (especially those of the 1st series) is the one I really love most. It is the most beautiful and practical watch for daily-wear, produced by Rolex.

Thank-you.

4. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2012

Respectable member seamonster

Of those 4, the Constellation might be the most iconic. However, those 2 AP's were bought because of what's inside. The 2120 is regarded as one of the finest automatics ever made, and the best ultra-thin. The 2003 has quite a following too, and is just as highly regarded in the manual wind department as the auto 2120 is. There's only one more AP caliber I want, and it's equally impressive. I'll fill you in on the details and pictures when I add it to the box. ;)

I never understood ss Rolex prices either. And while I do like the vintage day/date, my favorite is the mid 60's Zephyr with the cross hair dial. ::love::

Thank-you.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 2, 2012

The name Zephyr reminds me of the good old days, when a certain Ford car, all of the same size and shape, as well as same year of production, but the cheapest of the three was called Consul, next Zephyr and the most expensive Zodiac.

The Rolex Zephyr is a beautiful watch, especially its plain and clean dial, while the bezel is exclusive to this watch only, I think. Many come in 14k and rarely, in 18k. I had one in 14k.

Thank-you.

6. Dash1 Jun 2, 2012

Wow Ulackfocus! I can see you're spoilt for choice. I have to admit to a gross lack of knowledge re the AP's but am interested to hear about the 2120 inside, I'd love to see a photo of one some day. Love that Constellation too.
    I too am mystified as to why some red writing adds so much value to those subs. I have a couple of 60's 5513's which I like a lot, but they are no better than Omega's Seamaster 300 by any stretch. Having owned and dismantled both models I might even risk saying the 300 is of a slightly higher overall quality. But then maybe I'm biased!
    Cheers guys!
    Ash

ps - how'd you upload those big pics? I uploaded a file from my picture files but its a bit small!

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 2, 2012

Usually switch to a different watch each day, but I wear this one a lot.

[​IMG]

8. ulackfocus Jun 2, 2012

Ask and ye shall receive! Info:

http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium631686780396906210

Audemars now owns the 2120 exclusively. They purchased the rights, designs, and machinery to build it from JLC in part of the deal to sell their interest in JLC to Richemont.

Some of my pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 2, 2012

Respectable Member Ash

The word 'Rolex' is magic.

The majority of watch-lovers believe the best watches in the world come from Rolex and no one else. Though we have to admit, they produce high quality sports and tool watches - popular does not necessarily mean, best. On top of this, Rolex marketing strategy is second to none.

It is just unbelievable, one red line on the Submariner and two on the Sea-Dweller, the price may shoot up by more than a few thousand dollars more. It is just crazy and worse still, they are in stainless-steel - corrosion is just standing by, next-door. Needless to say, they can be hunted down easily, if one had the money, unlike the Omega Seamaster 300m and 120m of the 60's and 70's.

Lucky for many of the watch-lovers, without the big guns, most of the top Swiss brand-names would be gone by now. For example, Omega would be buried alive, had not Swatch come into the picture.

Thank-you.

10. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 2, 2012

It is a beauty.

Unfortunately, you cannot wear the watch upside down to show its movement instead of the dial. AP watches are always of high quality and a work of commercial art. Beauty and quality do not come cheap and their days are numbered, sad to note.

Thank-you.

11. ulackfocus Jun 2, 2012

You ain't kidding.

God, I hope not.

12. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 2, 2012

Since the good old days, AP have produced lovely and quality time-pieces and they are never cheap. Their production-run has always been relatively small.

Since my younger days, I have owned virtually most of the brand-names (the good, the bad and the ugly) but never an AP, for some strange reason. (Unfortunately, all my collections are now gone and most forum members know the reason.) Perhaps it was because, each time I went to service my Omega watches at Silvaroyal, then agents for Omega, Tissot and Audemars Piguet watches in Singapore, I was wearing my pair of shorts, T-shirt and thongs. One look at me, the staff members could read, AP was not meant for me and talking me into buying an AP would be a waste of time. From memory, then the price of an AP was more expensive than Rolex and a shade below Patek Philippe.

Do not worry, probably during our life-time the name AP will still be around, as long as they concentrate on producing beautiful mechanical movements and not quartz watches.

Thank-you.

13. Dash1 Jun 3, 2012

I can see why! I love the originality and the patina on the dial.

14. Dash1 Jun 3, 2012

Thank you! Quite breathtaking, One of the pleasures of owning quality vintage watches is the incredible little machines hiding away inside, even though they are rarely seen.

15. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 31, 2012

I was looking over some old threads and saw this one. Respectable member ulackfocus? Really?

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2012

Yes those were the good old days, what we call the BS days..

You, know "Before Speedy" :D

17. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 31, 2012

That's hurtful.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2012

It only hurts because your rehabilitation is working. Accept the pain as part of your growth process. :D

19. ulackfocus Jul 31, 2012

Why did I immediately think of "A Clockwork Orange" upon reading that?

20. fjf Aug 1, 2012

Mine is just a poor seamaster:

[​IMG]