Forums Latest Members
  1. chrisberry Jun 1, 2019

I'm trying to find out some information about the watch my dad left me, he was stationed in Cyprus in the 1960's in the RAF and when he came home he brought it with him, until he passed it was his pride and joy and it went everywhere with him.

I have just started wearing it again with the hope one day my son will have it.

I have found out what I can online but I would like some more detail if anyone can help me.

I know the glass has been replaced in the 90's after a car crash he had and the strap is not usable without fixing, it works fine and keeps excellent time.

I have enclosed some pictures with the hope of some information.

Thanks.

IMG_20190601_170143.jpg IMG_20190601_170133.jpg IMG_20190601_170117.jpg IMG_20190601_170106.jpg
    Etp095 and DaveK like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Jun 1, 2019

My guess is it’s a 1476x (x for 1,2 or3) or something around there. Vintage is somewhere around 1960-63. The exact reference is inside the case back and serial number on the movement will narrow down the year. With the serial you can get an extract from the Omega archives to get an exact year and point of sale.

Bracelet parts can be had and many watchmakers who specialize in vintage Omega may have the parts you need to get the bracelet back in service. These do look great on a leather strap if you choose.
    First step is to get it serviced even if it’s working. The oils inside are probably dry as a bone. The watchmaker can open it up and give you the numbers.
    Let us know where you’re located and a watchmaker can be recommended. Do not take this to Omega for service, they will charge a fortune and replace many of the parts that make it a unique and historic piece in attempts to “make it like new”.

chrisberry likes this.
  3. chrisberry Jun 1, 2019

Thanks for the feedback.
    I live in Sheffield, UK.
    I think getting it serviced will be my first port of call so any recommendations would be appreciated.

4. Edward53 Jun 3, 2019

IMO Richard Askham is the man for you. He lives near Barnsley and is an excellent watchmaker. He is usually quite busy so you might have to wait.

http://thewatchspotblog.com/