Forums Latest Members
  1. Marc Kurth Feb 17, 2019

I inherited some of my Dad's Omega's about a year ago. This was the watch that he wore pretty much daily until he was about 90 years old. I'm 65 and I grew up seeing it on his wrist when I was kid. I believe that he bought it in the late 40's? It still runs and keeps time. It has been sitting in a bank safe deposit box for the last several years.

I am not a watch collector, so I don't know anything about it, but I figured that I could find the expertise here.
    The questions I have:
    Can the manufacture date be pinned down?
    Is the paint probably radium and is it dangerous if not inhaled?
    Is the case gold plated? It feels very heavy, making me wonder.
    Is it best to store it untouched, or run it occasionally to keep the bearings alive?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a strong emotional connection to this watch so I have NO plans of parting with it. I would like to know what it needs to be insured for.

Anything that you folks can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Marc

LorenzoVestri and KingCrouchy like this.
  2. KingCrouchy Feb 17, 2019

Welcome!
    Yes, the watch is probably from 1947. You can also order an extract from Omega to have it more precise.
    It's gold plated but quite thick with 80 microns.
    You should service it, or not let it run or you will damage the watch. It's an Omega Cosmic. Here an good article about it.
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-omega-cosmic-moonphase/

Service it and wear it in good health!:thumbsup:

felsby and mr_yossarian like this.
  3. Marc Kurth Feb 17, 2019

Thank you!
    I certainly appreciate the information. That article you linked is also informative and provides some context.