Forums Latest Members
  1. Gdubzzz Mar 6, 2017

i never got to meet my grandpa. But he was with the London bomb squad. He was awarded a Omega Seamaster for his service and had it engraved with his initials which are my initials. GDW. He had planned on passing it on to me but he's lost it. I was trying to figure out if anyone had any idea of which model was given to London Bomb squads back in the day. It was a bumber watch, black face and gold case. If anyone has info please share with me, I plan to try to find the original vintage watch from his era and engrave it for my father. Thank you all in advance !

IMG_0694.JPG
    neilfrancis likes this.
  2. Gdubzzz Mar 6, 2017

It also may not be this image ... I just used the closest to what I remember

neilfrancis likes this.
  3. waterproofpt Mar 6, 2017

Perhaps try to do some research on the bomb squad and determine the year he worked there. Contact them to see if there's any archive or records kept.
    If nothing else, the years that he worked there (and retired) should narrow the search for the watch.

4. Gdubzzz Mar 6, 2017

Great start! I'm flying dark cause I'm trying to do it without my dad knowing...

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2017

I tried to restore my dad's Glycine Airman SST without his knowledge, but got to the point I needed to get some info from him. When we started working together, we developed a special bond around the watch. I wish I hadn't wasted the time without his involvement. I recommend the two of you work on it together. Who knows what stories will be told all because you started this project.

pippy, Tritium, oddboy and 2 others like this.
  6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Mar 6, 2017

One question that may be significant, did the watch have a centre sweep (as in the picture you provided) or a small sub-seconds dial above 6 o'clock? As it was a bumper, and a Seamaster, the watch can only be one of a few if it was awarded prior to 1950. The models I would be looking at are the 2518, 2577, 2494, and at a pinch the 2520 and 2521. After 1950 it could be a range of models, so the date may be of some importance.

Perhaps there is a service receipt in the back of some drawer that could also help identify the model?

Cheers

Desmond

pippy, Jwit, pmontoyap and 4 others like this.