Forums Latest Members

My current UG collection and a question on a possible incoming Compax

1. jds1017 Nov 3, 2015

Hello everyone, I acquired my first UG, a Nina Rindt Compax around 3 years ago and followed by another just a few months after. I bought them for the beautiful and simple dial layout and movement. I decided to retain both as they both actually looked different - tropical and non-tropical. A year later, I was fortunate to acquire a Tri-Compax. Back then, prices were fairly reasonable. Now I'm afraid I'd be hard pressed to find these specimens given the hype on these watches. I was also able to acquire a couple of Polerouters in the last few years and a Dato Compax very recently. Now, I have to admit I am a UG addict!

I now have a chance to acquire another Compax but have absolutely no knowledge on this particular model. It's in the seller's vault at the moment and I only have a picture to go by. Hopefully, I will be able to get more info i.e reference and serial etc. in the next few days. Hope I could run this with you guys to spot any red flags. I've not seen this dial configuration before with "Compax" print curving around the subdial.

Here's my current collection (pardon the quick and dirty Instagram snapshot)

IMG_9744-4.jpg

And the possible incoming Compax IMG_9742.JPG

Many thanks in advance for your help. Special mention to LouS for your assistance through the years

rhinowatch, Darlinboy, Gatsby and 6 others like this.
  2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Nov 3, 2015

Lovely oversize Dato!

More pics would be needed for a more complete assessment regarding this Compax, but a few things jump out: incorrect sweep second chrono hand/minute register hand and over polished case (the lug facets have lost a lot of definition).

edit: relumed hands. At first look I thought the dial looked ok, but now I think it is a very good redial. Some of the indices look off and the "Compax" font was used in more modern Lemania based Compaxes.

Edited Nov 3, 2015
    ELV web and x3no like this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 3, 2015

Agree - it's a redial, for sure. Excellent collection, you have there. :thumbsup:

4. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 3, 2015

Timing is everything. Congrats on finding both Ninas before they went into the stratosphere (and out of the realm of the average collector :()

Gatsby likes this.
  5. nicolas07 Nov 3, 2015

Congrats for your collection :)
    Very lovely pieces!
    For the Compax, as already said, it is a redial... :( with badly relumed hands
    Wait for a better one ;)

6. Rman Nov 4, 2015

Nice watches Chris. The Dato is pure class.:thumbsup:

7. rarebirds.de Nov 4, 2015

great collection chris! i´m in love with your ninas! :)

8. Fer Seamaster Nov 4, 2015

Great set! That tropic Nina is awesome.

jds1017 likes this.
  9. jds1017 Nov 5, 2015

Thank you everyone. Thanks for saving me on the Compax. Closer scrutiny shows the tell-tale signs of redial. @Andee- got your PM. I will think about it

rarebirds.de likes this.
  10. tomo Nov 18, 2015

Gorgeous group there. Nina!!

jds1017 likes this.
  11. woodwkr2 Nov 20, 2015

Nope, no "good" redial here (there are some good redials, this isn't one of them IMHO). Moving on.