Forums Latest Members

My collection of Zenith Defy

1. bimbim1207 Oct 23, 2017

Hi OF,

I'm Kevin from Singapore. I've been reading the forum for a few years but hardly contributing anything due to the my limited knowledge and experience :) and also most of the time I'd been reading on mobile :)

Here is my first post of my Zenith Defy collection I'd like to share, 4 pieces which are obtained during a few years, all on original GF bracelets with correct endlinks.

During the time I was looking for these, the turquoise dial is rarest as I observed, the blue color dial (A3651) is a special designed with crown at 4 o'clock, and the finishing on the case is different, too. The blue paint on this has been flaking off, but still remained very nice.

The orange color dial, with model number A3642 (I think) is usually found in brownish color, but mine turns into more of orange tone, which I love the most among the 4. The white dial has a nice sunburst dial, indices are finishing in 3-tone: polished-brushed-polished

IMO, these watches with signature "funky" design of the 70s are still undervalued, they all have screw-in crown, great movement, beautiful design, and of course very robust, excellent case and movement. The 2 pieces with square indices are especially light-catchy. The only thing I hate about these is changing date really a hassle.

I'm still looking for a black (charcoal) color dial, and the red dial and those orange with bakelite bezel, too but not so tempting for me yet :) Mostly they'd come without the GF bracelet, and I think these only look good on the GF ladder bracelet. Will update again if I can get it. Btw, my Instagram is @hoangkhoi1207, I usually share my collection there :)

Thanks OF!

(photos are not taken on the same day)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BenBagbag, donashby, kopykat and 47 others like this.
  2. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 23, 2017

Love them! There was a fantastic example sold recently over on TZ, can't tell you how rough it was seeing it there for a bargain price but not having the money to go for it. Love the watch and really love the bracelets that come with them(they need that GF ladder bracelet to truly shine), superb and really enjoy seeing them. If there's ever a watch that screams 70's is these, thanks for sharing :)

Edited Oct 23, 2017
    Matty01 and bimbim1207 like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Oct 23, 2017

Very nice and focussed collection! Shame on you for not posting here earlier :D

levkov, nzshadow and bimbim1207 like this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 23, 2017

A noted and much-missed early Zenith collector ("Gombrich") on a forum far, far away called these cases the "Miura." Like the Lamborghini, they are 100% of their era, and you either love them or hate them.

Hugely underrated model line. You only appreciate these fully when they are on the wrist.

Kmart, dougiedude, JohnSteed and 7 others like this.
  5. bimbim1207 Oct 24, 2017

Yes, I've tried putting different straps (leather, bracelet) on these but nothing looks as good as the original ladder GF. And thanks for the kind words.

Thank you, most of the time I read the forum on mobile during commuting, so kinda hard to post anything. But I will try to post more in the future!

Totally agree, it looks totally different on the wrist, even though I got a small wrist, stunning piece.

6. Speedmasterfan88 Oct 24, 2017

I love those! But like with so many sharp case designs of the 70's, with clear lines and edges, it realy comes down to the condition of the case! Sadly the majority of defys I see for sale look more like a piece of soap than sharp and crisp.

Very nice collection you have there! Enjoy and wear it in good health! And welcome to the active side of OF ;).

7. bimbim1207 Oct 24, 2017

Thanks so much and totally agree, those polished pieces always look dull and lost all the charms of the original design *sigh*, I've handle quite a number of them. However, on a brighter side, most of them still runs very well even though they were well beaten up, proofing the design and movement Zenith put in these are really robust.

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  8. ezinternet Oct 25, 2017

Hi Kevin - Beautiful collection. I've got the same fondness for these Defy and a like collection. I've even got the similar blue-dialed 01.1070.290 crown-at-four with the same flaky (literally) dial which I like for its decrepitude, well-carried.

9. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 26, 2017

Love these! That orange one is quite marvelous ::love::

Thanks for finally sharing, Kevin!

Now maybe we can even help you find the 'missing' parts of your collection!:D

bimbim1207 likes this.
  10. IDXM Nov 17, 2017

Stunning watches. I’m definitely going to put the Defy near the top of my to-get list!

bimbim1207 likes this.
  11. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Nov 20, 2017

So cool, i have a chrono defy with the turquoise dial, different of course because of the very different case, I love it and have often pondered picking up one of these to add to the collection ...

Yours are in great condition! Love the correct bracelet too

bimbim1207 likes this.
  12. panaitchrono Nov 21, 2017

After Omega my favorites are Zenith..nice collection.

bimbim1207 likes this.
  13. IDXM Nov 22, 2017

Are their any good sources for vintage Zeniths, especially the Defy? Not seeing much on the internet, including eBay.

bimbim1207 likes this.
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

There are not, especially the Defy. You should make one!

bimbim1207 likes this.
  15. IDXM Nov 22, 2017

I’ll just do that, thanks!

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

:thumbsup: That's the spirit. I'd love to see someone bite into the Defys, as a subject of collecting

bimbim1207 and IDXM like this.
  17. JohnSteed Nov 24, 2017

bimbim1207 likes this.
  18. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 21, 2017

Inspired by this thread by @bimbim1207 and his lovely Defys, I was able to nab this one from a fellow Forum member about a week ago:

Photo Dec 02, 11 31 41 AM.jpg Photo Dec 02, 11 31 12 AM.jpg Photo Dec 05, 3 15 40 PM.jpg
    Probably needless to say, I'm kinda smitten! :D

martinzx, levkov, RawArcher and 10 others like this.
  19. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Dec 21, 2017

That's a superb example, edges sharp as a razor. Nice pick-up!

dougiedude likes this.
  20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 21, 2017

Good 'un for sure

dougiedude likes this.