Forums Latest Members
  1. erpin9 Jan 21, 2017

I told myself early last year that for Christmas, I will gift myself with a brand new watch. I have been buying too many vintage watches lately so its time for a new one. My criteria was it has to be a sport watch and in solid gold or in gold and steel combination. Many were considered but in the end, I chose the Rolex Yacht Master II ref. 116681 in 18k everose gold and steel with blue ceramic bezel. Its been a long while since I bought a new watch so it was very exciting and likewise, hard work because of the so many great brands to choose from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

semper_shells, blufinz52, TTG and 3 others like this.
  2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 21, 2017

Great choice, I saw this watch early on before I knew much about watches and thought it was incredible. It's unique and has a great look to it. The blue ceramic completements the everose gold perfectly as if to tell everyone who sees it to go or an buy one. Enjoy it and wear it in good health(and on a yacht of course!)

erpin9 likes this.
  3. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jan 22, 2017

You certainly have great taste in watches!
    Congrats and wear in the best of health!

erpin9 likes this.
  4. erpin9 Jan 22, 2017

Thanks. It has a very interesting complication especially the bezel.

5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 22, 2017

:thumbsup:

could you explain the functionality pls?

I always wondered about those "yachting" scales ...::confused2::

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2017

Its a variable countdown timer, so it'll countdown 10 minutes in its standard configuration, but you can use the bezel to reduce that so if its a 5 minute start or a 3 minute start as they have in high school team sailing races you can do that and it'll countdown from that too. Rather a unique idea as most regatta timers are either fixed to a certain number of minutes or just mark off the minutes sundial.

When I was sailing I actually wore a TAG Heuer F1 Chronograph and because it was quartz, you could actually advance the chrono minute hand (both chrono minute and seconds were on the main dial not subdials) to any point you wanted so you could put it back after a battery change. So I would set the chrono minute hand forward to 57 minutes which gave me a perfect 3 minute countdown to zero to get my puffin pacer in position for the gun.

This Rolex would give much better legibility though which is a real plus, two tone or not its actually quite practical for its intended purpose and well thought out. My only question is whether the pushers are safe to be operated in water because the Daytona's aren't nor are most chronographs.

erpin9, Jwit and noelekal like this.
  7. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Jan 22, 2017

Enjoy it in good health! Congrats!

8. erpin9 Feb 7, 2017

Thanks dsio for explaining the watch's unique function.