Forums Latest Members
  1. TomGW Apr 4, 2016

Around 6 years ago I was alerted to someone who had swapped his fairly knackered Bond Seamaster for an 'old' Speedmaster and was now unsure whether it was a good idea, as he had just had a hefty quote to have it 'restored'. Long story short, I offered him twice what the old Seamaster would have been worth (about £750) and became the proud owner of what turned out to be a very original 2998-62.
    It came to me on a bracelet comprising No.6 endlinks, a 1039 clasp and something else in between. However, the watch head appeared to be totally original, apart from a replacement crown and a missing lower pusher. The case was well worn but free from any major dents and the bezel original and still round. The hands appeared to be 100% untouched and the dial unmarked.

2998.6  2.JPG 2998.6  8.JPG 2998.6  10.JPG 2998.6  12.JPG 2998.6  16.JPG 2998.6  1.JPG

I happened to have a correct crown and pusher cap (both used) and sent it off to Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking for a full service, together with a used set of sub-dial hands. Duncan supplied a new crystal as the original was full of stress cracks. The watch came back to me in lovely order and was promptly fitted with a leather strap. Amazingly, for a 50+ year old watch with original pushers and a period correct crown it passed a pressure test, showing just how good the case condition was.

P1010544.JPG P1010550.JPG P1010551.JPG P1010552.JPG

The somewhat sad footnote is that, while it was/is a lovely watch I just didn't get any joy out of wearing it and ended up selling it about 2 years ago, to a fellow member of TZ-UK.

Northernman, luzer, keywerd and 17 others like this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 4, 2016

Wonderful story line but I didn't like the ending.

Baz9614, lwong, George.A and 6 others like this.
  3. sky21 Apr 4, 2016

Incredible story and condition for such an old piece. Impossible to find those any more and it's really as shake that you didn't enjoy it. But that's the most important thing, if it doesn't speak to you then you have to let it go. Hopefully the new owner is enjoying your find for what it is.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 4, 2016

If you're still in touch with the owner, get 'em to come here and post some updated pics!

Baz9614 likes this.
  5. x3no Apr 4, 2016

Wow! Great story, till the end. Sorry to hear that. Would love to see where this ended up and what it looks like now.

6. TomGW Apr 4, 2016

Funny how times change. I know that the No.6 endlinks were not in the best of condition but I'm thinking that I must have thrown them out, as they don't appear to be in the box of other odds and ends. I would hardly do that today.
    On a separate note, just in case anyone isn't aware, the pushers on these are the same as the small Lemania powered Tissot Navigator chrono from the '70's; the one that had an acrylic Tachy bezel that pushed into a slot in the case. Hardly surprising, given the links between Omega and Tissot at that time.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 4, 2016

Poor little Tissot's...

cristos71 likes this.
  8. ISAKOFF Apr 4, 2016

Great watch, we all have those stores!

9. artschool Apr 4, 2016

where do i get a strap like that?

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 4, 2016

Look up heureville.

11. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 4, 2016

Tom, there is good news too, the watch is still in the community ;) its also (sadly) not owned by me but still owned by the person you sold it to

Saw it just the other day and its as gorgeous as your pics show it to be

12. TomGW Apr 4, 2016

Thanks, I'm really glad he still has it and I hope it still stays in the community. I got it at a really attractive price and so did he when I passed it on. It was a bit of an unknown quantity when I bought it, but it turned out to be a decent watch and was properly sorted after Duncan did his stuff.

13. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 4, 2016

It's a wonderful watch and I feel very like you do that its great it's still in the community and being enjoyed!

14. SW4323 Apr 6, 2016

i do not have a story like that :)

15. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 6, 2016

Whole story was spoiled with the last sentence :unsure:

16. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 6, 2016

Hello Everyone! I received my Speedmaster 2998-5 from my father. Now the story is not a sentimental as it might be, but a good one never the less. When I was a kid I collected coins. A considerable amount of silver coins which my father thought best kept in a safe deposit box. That was in the early seventies. Around 1997 I asked about the box and if he still maintained it. He said he had not been to it since the seventies. We went to retrieve to the contents and close the box. Sure enough there were my coins and a few other things including some old watches. My Father did not remember putting the watches in the box. He offered the three watches to me and I took them having no idea what they were. I put the watches in a drawer and there they stayed for about 4 years. I never thought much of the Speedmaster until a chance conversation with a friend about watches. He has a small collection of vintage watches from the 30's, as do I. I described the Omega watch with a bezel that wouldn't move and the stop watch features. He said it sounded like a Speedmaster. A few days later I started looking for information on the watch and of course was immediately blown away. The watch was even on its original 7912 bracelet (1/62).
    I had the watch lightly serviced and a new Omega bezel and crystal from O.F. installed (don't worry I have the original). Now when I see my Father he demands to see the Speedmaster right away and wants to know the latest sale price info on Pre-moon 2998 Speedys.

P.S.
    One of the other watches that was in the box is a 1964 Heuer Carrera 12
    P.S.P.S.
    Sorry if this story is redundant for some. Story previously told in WUS.
    2016-01-17 009.JPG

oddboy, Badwolf, BlueBoy and 2 others like this.
  17. Georgieboy58 Apr 6, 2016

A pity that the bezel has been replaced.

18. skooternb Apr 6, 2016

Beautiful watch!

19. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 6, 2016

I still have have the original bezel. Torn between putting it back on and leaving on the replacement to protect the original from damage. The DON bezels are so crazy valuable. The replacement bezel has even gained value since I bought it.

Georgieboy58 likes this.
  20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 6, 2016

Barn find and heirloom in one! Awesome story!

What were the coins worth?