Forums Latest Members

My Aqua Terra Crown is concerning me..

1. Fusion Dec 4, 2015

Have had 0 problems with this watch until today.

I set the time, because the watch had stopped, wore other things.. when I unscrewed it and it went from position 0 to 1, (screwed in to winding) there was some resistance at the very end, and a little pop. Tried it several more times. right before it changes to winding position I need to apply pressure (nothing crazy but it doesn't just slide into it like normal) and there is the pop.

NOT ONLY THAT, after doing that 5 times to make sure I am not crazy, NOW, when I screw it in from winding position to the screwed in position, there is some CONSIDERABLE resistance and it feels like there is some metal on metal. I feel the metal vibrating in the crown somewhere and it is NOT smooth to screw in.. No clue what any of this is or what any of it means. Can anyone chime in?

2015-11-29 19.46.51.jpg

2. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 5, 2015

I believe that the crown/tube threads are damaged, most likely both will need replacing.

To prevent crown/tube damage, it's best to use the following procedure:

- with the crown unscrewed and in the winding position, hold the crown and apply a bit of pressure towards the case while turning the crown CCW, backwards
    - continue to apply pressure and turn the crown CCW until you feel and hear a slight "click", STOP - this is the point where the crown and tube tread ends pass each other and are now aligned and ready to be screwed together
    - continue now with inwards pressure towards the case and now screw the crown CW and you are doing so with the threads aligned between the crown and tube, and there is no risk of cross threading and damage

That procedure applies to all screw down crowns, not only Omega or your particular model.

Rob

www.roberthoran.eu

Baz9614 likes this.
  3. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 5, 2015

my guess is that there is a rubber o-ring that might have come undone/displaced ... does it "feel" like there is a rubberband somewhere in between where it should not (not sure you get my drift"

cheers,
    al

ps: until cleared up - do the obvious: avoid water ...

4. Fusion Dec 5, 2015

I did that and it feels the same. Thanks for the idea. Is the case at risk here, or would I be damaging a replaceable internal part? Any idea what parts would be? Going to probably have a local guy take a look. Thanks.

5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 5, 2015

+1 ... in the context of things, that is not rocket science ... so any watchmaker-apprendice could diagnose that thing ...

iiwy - dont touch the crown any more until checked by a competent w.maker

6. Fusion Dec 5, 2015

Okay so I decided to try and clean the crown tube with a bit of floss and it was FILTHY!!! Black stuff. Now it winds smoothly!! Thanks for the ideas and help. Happy my watch is ok and I didn't strip the threads or anything.

Garv likes this.