Forums Latest Members

My $5 find....vintage 505 movement....what do I do now?

1. LowLife Mar 16, 2012

Hello everyone.....my first post here.

I found this movement at a garage sale in a box of misc junk......the asking price was $5 for everything and I gladly paid. The rest of the items were junk, but this movement has me intrigued.

I love watches, but I'm not a watchmaker. I looked up the serial number and it dates to around 1958 or so (16,xxx,xxx). The rotor still winds the watch correctly...and the wheels seem to move and tick flawlessly. The movement is marked 505.

My question is........Is this worth restoring and finding a dial/case for? I would LOVE to own a vintage OMEGA, but it may be cheaper to start with a watch that has a dial, case, band, etc.

What are my options and what are your expert opinions? Thanks!

photo.JPG
    photo (1).JPG

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 16, 2012

I've seen a number of empty Constellation cases for sale that will fit this movement. Hands are fairly easy to source as well. However, finding a dial for this watch in decent condition will be a challenge.

The movement certainly has some decent value for parts, many of which are impossible to source.

A very nice find,
    gatorcpa

3. ulackfocus Mar 16, 2012

That's worth the $5 for sure! As gator mentioned, a dial will be tough. Then you'll have what we call a frankenwatch anyway, which doesn't interest collectors much unfortunately. You might be better off selling the movement as it is, making a profit on the quick turn.

4. LowLife Mar 16, 2012

Would it be possible to source a "correct" dial and case? I don't particularly like the idea of a "Frankenwatch".

gatorcpa mentioned Constellation.....is this movement from a Constellation watch?

Lastly, if all else fails......what kind of monetary value does just the movement have? Turning it for a quick profit may be an option.

Sorry for the newbie questions!

5. a1watch Mar 16, 2012

Value depends on condition and whether it runs

6. ulackfocus Mar 16, 2012

Yes, it's probably from a Constellation. As far as selling just the movement, I recently bought a 550 (part of the next series in Omega's automatic evolution) for $30. Your 505 is worth a few bucks more at least. I know a couple watchmakers who look to buy these for $50 or less, but they're looking for a bit of a bargain.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 16, 2012

These movements were mostly used in Constellations and few Seamasters. All cal. 505 movements were rated chronometers, which means they were given extra attention at the factory and certified to run to tighter specifications than a "normal" watch when new.

I don't have much of an idea of value, other than I think it would draw bids on eBay from collectors who either have the other parts to make a complete watch, or need the bits to fix a watch in their collection.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 16, 2012

Sell it to me?

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 16, 2012

I'm sure collectors would be interested in buying it, parts can be hard to find. Personally I would keep it, it might be handy in the future!

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2012

Whew, thought from the username you were my sister's boyfriend for a moment.

I'm sure you can find a good home for it somewhere.

11. ulackfocus Mar 16, 2012

ba - dum - tsh! :p

12. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 16, 2012

::rimshot::

13. ulackfocus Mar 16, 2012

Duuuuuude, that's my new favorite smiley! :thumbsup: