Forums Latest Members

My 3 Zenith El Primero Chronographs

1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 7, 2015

Last year,as I started to collect vintage watches, my 25 year old son was very quick with his advice:

BUY A DAYTONA!!!!! EVERYONE WANTS ONE!!!! THEY ARE A GREAT INVESTMENT!!!

He even offered to wear it as well. Nice of him I thought.

As I started doing some research, I found out that the Rolex Daytona was a very exclusive watch indeed. A 6 month wait (at least) at an AD and then you had better be a good customer. People attempting to flip new, or fairly new, pieces for retail plus. Vintage models (especially the Paul Newman's ) going for mega bucks and a herd of sellers and dealers selling redials, frankens and reproductions. I also discovered an interesting fact that for a number of years (80's into the 90's I believe), Rolex did not have a suitable chrono movement for their Daytona and instead used a Zenith movement. I further discovered that Rolex then "dumbed down" the movement by slowing it down and eliminating the date feature.

Imagine my utter surprise (not really but it sounds good) when I checked the prices of similar era Rolex Daytonas vs their counterpart, the Zenith El Primero. I found out that for less than the (overpriced) Daytona with a dumb Zenith Movement, I could buy a few vintage Zenith El Primeros with the movement working the way it was designed. The styling, and reviews, of the Zeniths impressed me as well

And so I purchased a few. My son was not pleased but he has other nice watches to wear so he has survived.

Here is what I have and as I don't know that much about them, I value the opinions and comments of the numerous Zenith collectors on the OF forum.

image.jpg
    El Primero 020313400 circa 1992, "Panda", Original Bracelet
    El Primero Rainbow 020360400 Early 90's, On Black Strap
    El Primero Rainbow Flyback 0200480405, Early 90's I think, Original Bracelet

BTW, within the last few months, my son has received numerous phone calls for his local Rolex AD informing him that new Rolex Daytona were in stock, no wait to get one anymore and would he like one at $12,000+. It appears that Daytona supply and demand have evened out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

89-0, Hijak, fskywalker and 12 others like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 7, 2015

That panda dial is pretty nice.

fskywalker, stigmata and davidswiss like this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 7, 2015

I like the black on black...

Your comment about Rolex slowing the movement down reminded me of a very informative thread I discovered last night. A few years ago @ulackfocus started a couple of threads on another forum called Smoke and Mirrors pts. I & II. Very interesting! All about how brands will tweak a basic ETA movement and call it their own.

fskywalker and stigmata like this.
  4. JohnSteed Nov 7, 2015

That's a great start M ;)

There's a nice link with these chronos, Zenith EP and RDay.

fskywalker likes this.
  5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 7, 2015

I also began collecting EPs after researching vintage Daytonas. These look like nice examples (though I think the hands on the De Luca panda are replacements; they look like later Rainbow hands). The black Rainbow is a sharp looking watch and an underappreciated reference. The De Luca and the colorful flyback are becoming canonical. Nice choices.

fskywalker likes this.
  6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 7, 2015

Yes, I see what you mean about the De Luca hands. There were original and service papers with the watch. Must have been changed during service. Will have to source an original pair. Goodie! A new hunt.

Edited Nov 7, 2015
    fskywalker likes this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 7, 2015

The Panda is a 2nd Gen De Luca. Here's it's grand father, the pre el primers de Luca 1st gen

image.jpeg
    TexOmega, stigmata, jsaen and 3 others like this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 7, 2015

All very nice watches. Of the three, the last, the Rainbow Flyback, has quite a devoted following. I am among them.

Any of the three Zeniths were made in far smaller quantities than the Daytona, other than perhaps some with with rare (and minute) variations.

Not that I'd turn down a nice PN. ;)

9. Cortezthekiller Nov 15, 2015

Love the Rainbow!

10. PaulC77 Nov 15, 2015

The DeLuca is a lovely choice, I love these watches, so versatile.
    Here are my two...
    image.jpeg

fskywalker, siguzzi, TexOmega and 4 others like this.
  11. stigmata Mar 9, 2018

thought I should add mine to this old thread!

20180309_184722.jpg
    fskywalker, siguzzi and TexOmega like this.
  12. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2018

Acute necrothreadia.

nixf6, TexOmega, MMMD and 1 other person like this.
  13. stigmata Mar 9, 2018

haha yeah
    nothing is ever read when reading
    we wouldn't have Plato or Shakespeare
    we'd only have Harry Potter

14. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 9, 2018

I really like this Zenith. While I don’t own this individual watch (I’m traveling and don’t have access to mine), I do have this model at home.
    47621F89-F441-4706-BD70-F5A86EF272A2.jpeg

stigmata likes this.
  15. 41northpole Mar 15, 2018

Nice group. Rainbow is my favourite. A lovely and really undervalued piece
    Tim

fskywalker likes this.
  16. papaebetu Mar 15, 2018

Nice combo in this one...

GIGI

IMG_3064.JPG
    Hijak, fskywalker and stigmata like this.
  17. fskywalker Nov 19, 2019

Very nice watches!