Forums Latest Members
  1. Baden Harrison Jan 24, 2016

Sorry for the pun I couldn't resist it.

There was a point where I had way too many watches all of average to good quality, I've slowly sold them off and condensed my collection into a smaller but higher quality mini collection.

I'm down from about 40 plus watches to about 10 watches covering my love of military and tool watches I seam to have a particular thing for Omega professional models.
    They seam to have a perfect balance of function and style I will even arguably add the ploprof 600 to this category (I'll put my hard hat on!)

My latest Omega is the SM300 the watch is a 28million roughly dating to 68 I was a little worried that it had candlestick hands but after speaking to a few knowledgeable omega folk and they have educated me about mid 60's omega manufacturing and how they would use anything hanging around.
    To be honest I do love the candlestick hands and they perfectly match the big triangle.

Still the watch I love the most but struggle to wear is the ploprof I just love the unashamed I'm a tool watch so don't mess with me approach Omega took to this lump of steel.
    When I purchased the watch the lume was missing out the hour hand I sent her to STS where she have a full service and reseal and Simon matched the hour hand to the minute and second hand and they match perfectly but it does seam quite dark compared to the dial?
    Simon is on the look out for a NOS set with a better match but I think I've got more chance of finding rocking horse dodo.
    I just wish I could get used to the size and weight of it, I'm so used to wearing military watches even the SM300 and speedy feel big and took some getting used too.

Lastly my speedy I've owned about 5 of these everytime I owned one I got bored and flipped them but this one is something else especially when she's on my 1039 (to fragile for daily wear so generally on a 1171 )
    She is from 1969 and was in fantastic condition when I purchased it STS knew how I felt about refinishing cased and how I like the vintage look and patina but this speedy looked nearly knew and I opted for a refinish! I'm so glad I did as Simon said it's just adding that tiny bit of lustre back.

Everytime I look at these watches I feel blessed and can't believe I own them, I'm not a rich man I've just worked hard collected wisely and been lucky to have good mentors especially our own Tom Dick who has taken me from the dark ages of buying average watches but buying the very best you can afford. Sadly unlike Tom I can't afford the wonderful NOS and prototype watches he posses but he has raised my bar quite considerably.

By joining this wonderful forum I'm slowly learning from you guys too so thanks [emoji6]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just for you military watch folk my 1953 fat arrow sourced for me by Tom and probably the best I've ever seen.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Wongo, ahartfie, smm1208 and 10 others like this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 24, 2016

Gee B., now I understand why you sold off your Longines Greenlander. (That was way beyond "average to good quality", by the way, what a stunner).
    Best regards,
    S

Baden Harrison likes this.
  3. Baden Harrison Jan 24, 2016

The greenlander did pay for the SM300 I wanted an everyday diver.
    The longines didn't get any wrist time as it competed with my iwc mark xi.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 24, 2016

Congrats -- the SM300 looks terrific, but don't sell your Mark XI !!!

5. Baden Harrison Jan 24, 2016

That watch was sold to me by my partner in crime on the Facebook military watch Mark Davies. It was his dad's and I promised I'd not sell it if I did he has first refusal.
    I'm a man of my word

Syrte likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 24, 2016

Thanks for this sobering and wise post, it's a good lesson to ponder. In a certain way, less is more. :thumbsup:

7. Baden Harrison Jan 24, 2016

Less is less maintenance bills lol

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 24, 2016

No kidding I just got a watch back from service -- more expensive than the watch itself.
    But the watch for me is a keeper, so I didn't blink.

9. Baden Harrison Jan 24, 2016

The way I see it if you spend good money servicing a good calibre omega/Rolex/IWC ETC ETC there is always chance to recoup the investment if sold but spending £300 on a £500 watch is money down the drain unless it's sentimental or a keeper then money is no object. All of the money invested in my watches I think is obtainable if the worse comes to worse. Speedmaster head cost me £2000 the service £500 (broken main spring. The 1039 was a fair wedge thought. I'd don't see any problems obtaining that back. Not that it's for sale though lol!!!!

10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 24, 2016

Clearly the goal to strive for ... easier done for those who purchased watches some years back - as has been noted so many times.

11. abrod520 Jan 24, 2016

Not sure how much you paid for that 1039 on the Speedmaster (if you acquired it separately) - but it's got the wrong end links... The 633 end links are not completely out of range for early '70s-production Speedmasters, but they were meant for use on the 1171 bracelet. If you want to complete the 1039, look for a pair of 516s.

Aesthetically though it's not an issue - there's nothing like a Speedmaster on a vintage stretch-link bracelet :thumbsup:

12. Baden Harrison Jan 24, 2016

I know the links are wrong as stated in the earlier post trust me it was far less painful financially than sorting a pair of 516's

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2016

This is of course very true, just bought a pair recently

14. abrod520 Jan 24, 2016

Without a doubt! Everything vintage Speedmaster is going in that direction.

Also, if you bought the 1039, might as well wear it! I'm not sure where they get their reputation for being fragile (maybe it's because they're light and light=fragile?) but I have three that I wear fairly regularly and have not had any problems. It's a gorgeous combination, quite comfortable too, and can't be beat :)

15. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 24, 2016

Wow @Baden Harrison ! I'm not anything close to being a collector (I'm much more an enthusiastic wearer), but even I can see that your Omegas are very special indeed. Thanks for sharing them here!

16. robocaspar Jan 26, 2016

Great set of Omegas!