Forums Latest Members

My 2nd to last day in Italy...Let me share a cooking secret...

1. TLIGuy Aug 2, 2017

Many of my friends have asked if I have learned the secret of Italian cooking during my three years here in Italy. The answer is yes, and I will now share with you the secret to making a traditional Neapolitan Ragu.

Here is how it is prepared....

1) Prepare for making the Ragu by backing up traffic on the hottest f$&K!ng day of the year for 5-6 kilometers.

IMG_2386.JPG

2) Shut down one lane of traffic and funnel all cars into one lane...

IMG_2388.JPG

3) Liberally scatter tons of freshly picked tomatoes all over the road and simmer on the 150 degree pavement for an hour or two...

IMG_2394.JPG

4) Funnel the cars over the tomatoes to crush the skins and release the pulp and continue to simmer. As a personal preference, I prefer to use a 2004 Fiat Punto with NO A/C to crush the tomatoes.

IMG_2396.jpg

5) Scoop up the ragu with a Bobcat and jar...

IMG_2395.JPG

If you notice a spike in Prego or Ragu prices in your local supermarket in the next few weeks, the tragic events of August 2, 2017, are the reason why.

Edited Aug 2, 2017
  2. MaiLollo Aug 2, 2017

Very funny post. As an italian, I'm really not surprised about something like this.
    The worst part is that the owner of the tomatoes must have lost a Speedy or 2 in order to prepare this delicious ragû :D

Edited Aug 2, 2017
    TLIGuy likes this.
  3. TLIGuy Aug 2, 2017

I forgot the picture of the spice master with the lollipop seasoning the Ragu with his cigarette ashes.

MaiLollo and watchknut like this.
  4. quito No, my first name is NOT Mos. Aug 2, 2017

Gotta try that one on my sun drenched deck. Already got the basil. I'll let you know how it comes out.

TLIGuy likes this.
  5. TLIGuy Aug 2, 2017

My Italian friends finish off the long hot day strong during my final trip to my favorite cafe.

IMG_2291.JPG

6. atc100 Aug 2, 2017

Haha, all this we will find in Uncle Ben's souces[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

TLIGuy likes this.
  7. Just Livin Aug 2, 2017

I like this post. Great pics.

Tell me at any time during the traffic jam were you thinking:
    - I wish the traffic would hurry up and ketchup
    - If only I could get saucy somewhere else but here
    - Must add tomato paste to the shopping list
    - Actually I F**KING hate tomatoes

TLIGuy likes this.
  8. TLIGuy Aug 2, 2017

I was actually thinking...Maybe they are not making a ragu but making sun dried tomatoes.

tyrantlizardrex and Kmart like this.
  9. Kmart Aug 2, 2017

You and my dad would get along. He spent several months in Naples last year and came back with an undying love of espresso. :thumbsup: [​IMG]

TLIGuy likes this.