Forums Latest Members
  1. mfili98 Aug 16, 2016

Hello everyone, new member here. I just wanted some peace of mind on a new purchase. A 2006 DeVille, which I purchased on amazon from their "Certified Pre-Owned" section. It included the appropriate box and papers and the watch appears (to my novice eyes) to be legitimate. I'm only paranoid as I've been duped once before and let's just say it was a pretty expensive lesson. Anyway without further ado here are some pics, what do you guys think, real or fake? Also worth noting is that I took it to an Omega boutique and the young lady there checked the serial number on the computer and said that it matched the model of the watch, but could not further verify the watch.
    (EDIT) I know (hope) that the watch is most likely real, I'm just wondering if anything about it jumps out at anyone as odd. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Edited Aug 17, 2016
  2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 17, 2016

Perhaps you could tell us why you think it is fake, or are you some sort of smartarse that knows every omega watch ever produced, just like some "experts" at WUS?
    In other words, put up or shut up.

3. MikeyAx Aug 17, 2016

Umm, I'll bite. Since you arent giving any indication as to why its not fake.
    Its too shiny. The metal looks cheap.
    The engraving on the clasp looks wrong.
    the Omega emblem on the dial is blacked out and looks wrong.
    The font and position of "Deville Automatic Chonometer" looks wrong and not to mention the printing is sloppy.
    He didnt show us the caseback, so I wonder if hes trolling.
    And lastly, I looked for other pictures of this particular watch. There are none.

What will you say now? hmm?

mfili98 likes this.
  4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 17, 2016

I will ask you why you didn't put that in your first reply.

5. chickenman26 Aug 17, 2016

Google Omega 4500.50.00. It's a De Ville Prestige. I found plenty of pics of this watch. Some on apparently legit watch seller sites, and some on replica sites. Trouble is, my untrained eyes can't distinguish a difference between any of them and this one here. But because he has a genuine box and cards, it might be revealing to know whether the watch's serial # matches the warranty card...which he doesn't show us. If the numbers match, and especially if the card has a date and dealer stamp, I'd say the watch is legit.

Edited Aug 17, 2016
  6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 17, 2016

The pictures on the replica sites are almost always of genuine watches, not a pic of what you actually receive, if you receive anything at all.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2016

The watch is a bit worn, but the "metal" looks fine to me.

Clasp engraving looks fine - correct bracelet for this reference.

The Omega emblem is not blacked out.

The dial printing and overall appearance looks exactly as it should for this reference.

You didn't look very hard for examples...

Cheers, Al

8. chickenman26 Aug 17, 2016

Thanks for that. Those pics on the replica sites did look too good to be replicas. Still, I couldn't see anything wrong with the OP's watch, especially not the stuff Mikey was talking about.

9. mfili98 Aug 17, 2016

Sorry I didn't post those, here you go.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  10. mfili98 Aug 17, 2016

Well, that's more info than I was expecting, the Omega logo looks blacked out due to the angle of the pic, here's a better angle. As for the font, while I'm no expert, I looked at it under a jeweler's loupe and the font looks crisp and not blurry at all. As for it being too shiny, from the other pics I've seen of the watch it looks the same to me (although again, I'm far from an expert). Also it might be worth adding the watch does feel "solid" and heavy.

image.jpg
    GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  11. mfili98 Aug 17, 2016

Here's a pic of the Chronometer Certificate.

image.jpg
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 17, 2016

All signs point to legit. The paperwork and the quality of fakes 10 years ago would leave something tell tale about it.

As Omega ran the serial and it came back to that model you are good. That's the best your going to get from them short of sending it in for service.

If I was in the market for that model I would buy it without qualms.

mfili98 likes this.
  13. mfili98 Aug 17, 2016

Also one more thing I'd like to add, this is on the box, is this common?

image.jpg
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 17, 2016

Not a problem. The boxes are made all over the place. Wherever labour costs are cheaper than Switzerland.

The watch is fine, now just wear it and enjoy it.

GuiltyBoomerang and mfili98 like this.
  15. mfili98 Aug 18, 2016

Thank you for all the respones everyone. My doubts have been erased. One, or rather two final questions. One, upon removing the bracelet i noticed the end links are engraved 835. Is this common practice? And two, also upon removing the bracelet, there seems to be a sort of dark green glossy blockage of some sort that was causing the spring bar to not go in completely. Any suggestions on how to clean this out? Thanks you guys.

The first pic is of the "blocked" hole, the second is of a clean one, and the third is the aforementioned end link.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 18, 2016

Note that I have checked the serial number on the Omega Extranet for you, and it matches the model, so this watch is legit.

Cheers, Al

dxholdren and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  17. mfili98 Aug 18, 2016

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

18. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 6, 2016

The green gunk there is moisture and dirt being trapped due to wear of the watch. This is normal when you consider that people may not clean their watches after wear. Not saying throw it into water, just give it a soft wipe with a cloth and let it dry. For the stuff in the hole, if you get (and this is courtesy of @JimInOz ) a bamboo skewer and cut one end of it to make it square, you can use it to rub into the hole and get the stuff out.