Forums Latest Members

My 145.022-69's chrono second hand is confounding me!

1. irate.alien Sep 17, 2017

Hi! I bought a Speedy from a friend of mine who's a pretty serious collector. I'm trying to figure out if the chrono second hand is a replacement/not authentic and whether I should try to get it replaced.

Basically, my buddy is nuts and bought several 145.022 cal. 861 from the late 60s - early 70s. I bought one of the ones he didn't like. It needed some work, e.g. the minute hand on the chrono didn't reset at zero. So I got it serviced and cleaned up.

I've figured out it's a ST 145.022-69 pre-moon with the following characteristics (based on the Moonwatch Only book):
    - printed Omega logo
    - tritium indexes
    - step dial
    - no medalion
    - Seahorse caseback
    - bezel: dot over 90, no 220 error

And that's consistent with the serial number: 30.580.7XX. Probably produced in 1970 (might go to my local Omega boutique and ask them to help me order the archive extract--which apparently you can't order straight off the internet in the US!)

But, I'm getting confused over the chronograph second hand. It's straight--doesn't have the little bulb at the end. In the photo, I advanced it a little so it's easier to see against the background of the dial.

Anyone know about those hands? If it's not consistent with that model, I'll start looking for a replacement. I'd guess that if someone was messing around with it, they'd put the second hand with the bulb in, making it more likely that the straight one is original, but that characteristic is bugging me. Or if someone knows a thread on here that goes into this issue, please just point me to it. I did a couple of searches but I don't know the terminology to describe the different shaped hands.

IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1001.JPG

2. ATWG Sep 17, 2017

You are correct, that is not the correct Chrono hand for your watch. Here is my '69 for reference.

IMG_2359.JPG
    Dan S, ext1, bhove and 2 others like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 17, 2017

4. arcadelt Sep 17, 2017

It looks like a straight hand that you might see on 1969-70 Speedmaster Racing or an Ultraman, but different in that it is not straight for its entire length because it has a circular hub (if that's what that bit is called) where it attaches to the shaft...and because it is white. Not sure what that suggests.

5. swmtbr Apr 14, 2022

Should it? What about watches specifically made for the Asian market at this time?

6. swmtbr Apr 14, 2022

What about this then? Was purchased in Singapore around 71. I believe the made a different watch for the Asian market at the time, it can’t be coincidental

23F09AA2-F72A-4232-9A81-70F45FE6A289.jpeg
  7. ext1 Apr 14, 2022

So what you have on there on yours is a service sweep hand for the 2998/sweep hand for FOIS. These sweep hands come with a small circular center rather than like the in the vintage ones where it's large.

As for that one from Singapore that's a different sweep hand. Look at the center, the circle is larger. Currently, unfortunately there's no literature that suggests a different speedy model was shipped that way to Asia like that. I can't be sure where it's from because there are many similar looking hands like that, but that is different from what you've got there.

swmtbr likes this.
  8. swmtbr Apr 14, 2022

It’s just odd as we know the history of this watch. My dad has had it since 74. He has only ever had it serviced by non omega watch shops. This is only because where he lived in rural Australia there was no other option. He is confident that the hand has never been changed. The original owner only had it a few years from new so I can’t imagine he would even have had it serviced.