Forums Latest Members
  1. Ton67 Oct 22, 2013

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and already learned many things about my beloved watches in the last few days. In my collection I have 5 Omega watches. The yellow and the red Schumacher edition automatics, a lovely blue faced Speedmaster automatic with a gold bezel and crown, a mid-size Seamaster 300M quartz and my favorite is the pre moon Speedmaster 105.012-66 with serial 24.950.xxx.

I purchased the latter last year from a private person in Brussels. The watch had been serviced and received a new bezel, face (I think), crown and hands. All the original parts are with the watch, except for the face.

It runs like it should and keeps perfect time.

For the last few years I have been reading a lot about these watches, and was shocked to find so many Frankenstein Speedmaster moon watches. Why would people do such things? Is it money driven? It makes me doubt about my own watch.

I would love to hear your inputs about my watch. What do you think about it?
    The glass has been replaced with a sapphire glass for practical daily use reasons (former owner), and the bracelet is of a newer type (would love a 1039).

Many thanks,

Ton

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382456341.720979.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382456382.007392.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382456403.551519.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382456447.276821.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382456459.491239.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382456471.824886.jpg
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 22, 2013

The dial and hands look very white. Could be the photo, could be that they are new, but the dial does have "T" marks. It could be a redial. In any event the dial is not one I personally like, it looks too new.
    The bezel is very recent, as is the bracelet. I don't like seeing very modern parts on a vintage.
    i cannot see the vertical facets on the case lugs, unique to the 105.012. The pushers look correct. (The are slightly shorter )
    This watch lacks any of the visual qualities I value in a vintage speedmaster.
    It does have a 321, so that's good, and it is a perfectly good watch. Just not a good vintage watch.
    Well you did ask!

3. Ton67 Oct 22, 2013

Thanks for your reply. I do agree with you about the new items on the watch. It has a new bracelet, hands, face, pushers, crown and bezel. I think the former owner wanted a "new" watch. He even added a sapphire glass. :)
    All old parts are with the watch, except for the faceplate.
    But on the other hand these changes were all suggested by Omega when the watch was in for a full service. And when you shop around there are many vintage watches that look "like new" after a service. It is a bit double isnt it?
    Don't the vertical facets on the case lugs depend on the manufacturer of the housing (CB)?

4. richardew Oct 23, 2013

It has the vertical facets. I can see them at the 11o'clock and at 1 o'clock lugs, at least I think I do. LOL

5. Ton67 Oct 24, 2013

The serial on my watch ends with 215. Yesterday on eBay I found one for sale with the same serial except 214. That is a great coincidence. :)

Dash1 likes this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 24, 2013

i was waiting for your eyes in this......

7. Ton67 Oct 25, 2013

I am thinking about putting back the original items on the watch. Pity though that I don't have the original dial. The original hands and bezel are with the watch.
    The dot over 90 bezel is even in a surprisingly good condition.

Do these original dial plates come up for sale?

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382692976.470455.jpg
  8. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Oct 25, 2013

The dial IS conform to original. The paint might have been removed from markers but you can redo this.

9. Dash1 Oct 25, 2013

Yes, I suspect the dial is the original one, but has had all the old lume cleaned off.
    It's good news you have that nice bezel and the hands too. If you wear the watch a lot you might consider leaving the newer bezel in place for now, incase you lose it??

10. Ton67 Oct 25, 2013

I would love to bring my 105.012-66 back to an as original condition as possible. That is why I am happy that the seller of the 145.022-69 (in the other thread) agreed with my offer. I will wear the 861 as a daily watch, and only use the 321 on special occasions.

Would you guys bother putting the paint back on the dial of the 321? Or is this suggestion close to lunacy? :)

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 25, 2013

not sure what you mean about black paint on the dial. Also is it really a sapphire crystal? Many people would be interested to hear how that was done.

My problem with this dial is that from the photo, it does not have any attraction. Now it is possible, probable even that the dial in real life looks better. If the watch was as inexpensive as you say, then it might be rewarding to search out a nicer dial, and use the old hands and bezel. Certainly I have had great success in the past with this strategy.

Your watch highlights an important point. A vintage watch has to look attractive to be valuable. It can tick all the boxes, be 100% correct and yet not have that attractiveness that makes me want to own it. In this particular watch, a new (old!) bracelet, or even a strap, and a period bezel would go a long way to improving its atteactiveness.

It is rather ironic that the dial now carries such a huge proportion of the value of a vintage watch, certainly disproportionate to the value it added when new!

Several years ago I saw an 861 chocolate dial sell on eBay for £2600.

i didn't buy it, but often wish I had.

12. Ton67 Oct 25, 2013

I did not say "paint black", but "put the paint back". I was referring to the original fluorescent paint on the dial. :)

All I can say about the crystal is that the former owner told me that he had a sapphire crystal installed when the glass was serviced at Omega. He wanted a glass that was less vulnerable.

And I agree with you that the true value in these watches is a personal thing. I am not as such interested in a monetary value, but more in what makes the watch valuable to me. I would just love to own a 1967 watch that is as original as possible within my budget. And I am happy with the progress that I am making. :)
    Every watch is a story....