Forums Latest Members
  1. wenwatch Sep 22, 2015

I am looking to buy my 1st Omega watch. This vintage Seamaster De Ville (see pictured) will be for my husband's 40th (surprise) birthday in October. He's a HUGE Omega & Mad Men fanatic. There doesn't seem to be anything on the market at this time... HELP!! Thank you!! Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 2.05.40 PM.png

Edited Sep 22, 2015
    eviktor likes this.
  2. TNTwatch Sep 22, 2015

The black dial version is quite rare and none originally has the cross hair. You'd have to decide btw original Omega or repainted Mad Men. The Mad Men version is quite loathed by Omega collectors.

Giff2577 and wenwatch like this.
  3. wenwatch Sep 22, 2015

For this occasion, I guess I will have to figure out if his love for Mad Men pop outweighs his love for Omega original... I believe original may win. Appreciate the needed feedback TNTwatch. Now where to find one?....

Edited Sep 22, 2015
  4. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Sep 22, 2015

October is a great month for a birthday! It is however not likely enough time to find an original black dialed De Ville. Originals may be found on eBay if you sift through the many redials. I managed to find one in a group of watches being sold by a seller in Hawaii but in fairly rough shape. You may have to broaden your search to other models or dial colors to find a nice original in time for his birthday. What a great idea for a gift. You came to the right place for help. Check out the watches for sale here on the forum or ask members to vet potential watches you are considering. Good luck with your search!

wenwatch and TNTwatch like this.
  5. abrod520 Sep 22, 2015

May all future Omega purchasers be so astute as to stop by here! Good luck!

wenwatch likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Sep 22, 2015

Don Draper syndrome strikes again!

You won't find much on eBay because there aren't many black dialed Seamaster DeVilles, and the ones that do exist are probably refinished dials.

wenwatch likes this.
  7. wenwatch Sep 22, 2015

@Giff2577 Thanks for the kind message. I respect an original and of course veteran forum members' feedback. At this point however, I'm probably okay with purchasing a redial (don't stone me) since I think it would be a pretty cool/fun gift for him... until he finds out it's not an original, but it's the thought that counts right?! Anyway, I'm not sure I'm okay dishing out $$$$ for an overpriced "repainted Mad Men" though. What's the max you would spend on one of these refinished watches?

Giff2577 likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2015

$300.

wenwatch likes this.
  9. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Sep 23, 2015

I'm relatively new to the forum so I am no veteran but some other knowledgable veteran members have weighed in on your questions. If you don't mind a redial then go for it knowing it is a redial! As someone who has unknowingly purchased a few redials in the past I just say proceed with caution. If your husband loves Mad Men then he will love a watch that looks just like the one posted. If you think he will become a bigger Omega fanatic then he may start wishing the dial was original. The redial could be swapped for an original dial at a later date from a parts watch. Either way it is a great birthday gesture.

wenwatch likes this.
  10. wenwatch Sep 26, 2015

Hello! Would someone please post a picture of what a genuine original Seamaster De Ville with auto date & cross hairs looks like? And how much you would pay for it. Is silver & black the only colors Omega has made? So much to learn, its a bit overwhelming for this novice. TIA

11. TNTwatch Sep 26, 2015

Here are the two cross hairs I have, one champagne, one silver colour (sellers' pictures, not the best). I also have one with black dial but no picture on hand atm.

For steel case, the dial's usually just silver-ish or black. Top condition steel watch with silver dial could cost up to $900 - $1K. Black dial could be a bit more, all depends on conditions. Gold cases would have gold colour dial.

You can always post pictures of what you like here and we all will help verify the watch for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

eviktor, Giff2577 and wenwatch like this.
  12. wenwatch Sep 27, 2015

Edited Sep 29, 2015
  13. TNTwatch Sep 27, 2015

Franken is one that is assembled with parts from different models. For this watch we need to see the movement, serial number and the case reference number to be sure.

The lettering on this dial looks OK from afar, but I'm not sure about the non-continuous cross hair. If you can ask the seller for some big and detailed pictures of the full dial, we may be able to find out if it's original or a redial.

wenwatch likes this.
  14. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Sep 27, 2015

A non-continuous cross hair is usually indicative of a redial and I feel the price is too steep on that one even If it has been serviced.

wenwatch likes this.
  15. wenwatch Sep 27, 2015

@Giff2577 how much would you spend on it?

BTW - Is a 560 Calibre in the De Ville really rare/highly valued? What if it were in a redial? Anyone know?!?

Edited Sep 27, 2015
  16. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 27, 2015

560 in a de ville? I think everybody has one. Redial is something you should avoid.
    2015-09-27_02-54-06.jpg

eviktor, Giff2577 and wenwatch like this.
  17. wenwatch Sep 27, 2015

18. Hijak Sep 27, 2015

@wenwatch , these eBay sellers can ask whatever they want...pretty sure they are not getting these prices. As always with vintage watches patients is required. Keep your eye on the private watch sales thread here and Watch Recon is another good resource.

wenwatch likes this.
  19. wenwatch Sep 27, 2015

@Hijak well, they're selling the one above like hot cakes because of the "Med Men effect" I guess. I have seen them ranged from $359 to $1500 but mostly in the $1000+ range. Thanks for the other resource recs...

20. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Sep 27, 2015

I used to think 560's were rare until I kept tripping over them. I have had a few. I think the 3000 number only pertains to a batch shipped to the US in stainless cases. I found a 560 in one of my watches that should have had a 562! Here are my Seamaster De Villes in poor shape waiting their turn in the queue to find a good watchmaker. image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    They are all 560's except for the all Black dial 563. I think the last one with the black dial and gold cross hairs is a redial. Breaks the rule of no crosshair black dials. There is no Swiss made or serifs and the spacing of Omega and Automatic is off.