Forums Latest Members

Mrs. McKinley is in the game!!

1. McKinley Jan 14, 2021

For the 4 years that I have been collecting vintage watches my good wife has refused to play. I show her watches on eBay or text her pics of women's watches when out yard saling or thrifting and usually I get a pic back of her own quartz Movado museum watch. Sometimes she is kind enough to add a few words of explanation, "I already have a watch." She did soften up a couple of weeks ago and did wear a ladies Gruen that Fred included along with my blue dialed Omega. Last week, while cruising Eterna, on eBay I spied a ladies blue dialed Eternamatic Sahida. It was listed as NOS and the lug facets were sharp, so I put in a lowball bid of $28 and change. The seller had a low rating, so I thought maybe he wouldn't get too many bids. In the description of the watch he just wrote, "working". I sent an email asking for more information on accuracy, but never heard back. I took it as a further sign the watch might not get bid up. Well, I won the auction at $28 even and the watch came today. I guess it is time I got around to telling you, I bought it for her to sort of match my manual wind Eterna I purchased from Norman this summer. I have to post a separate pic of that as it is in the spa for a service. But, I am happy to say my wife likes the watch and we will go shopping tomorrow for a blue band to match mine as well. I know you are laughing at me....what's next you say, matching sweaters? LOL.

McK

20210114_153106.jpg 20200826_144928.jpg

2. Ted1858 Jan 14, 2021

Nice pair, sounds like 4 years of persistence paid off! Good motivator to keep working on my wife about it.

bgrisso and McKinley like this.
  3. Lostpuppy116 Jan 14, 2021

My wife loves an aventurine dial Constellation that goes around 10k at the boutique. Did I mention she wants me to have a matching nice watch as well? You have done very well good sir! Matching watch with the wife AND not having to break the bank to do it!

Syrte and McKinley like this.
  4. janice&fred Jan 14, 2021

That Fred dude sounds like a helluva guy!

5. McKinley Feb 21, 2021

It took about a month to find the right 11mm, navy blue strap, and I have my Eterna back from the spa. I even dressed to match for the pic, talk about manccessorizing! ::facepalm2::

20210221_123450.jpg 20210221_123354.jpg 20210221_123352.jpg

6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 21, 2021

Wow, they look fantastic! Great job on putting that pair together :)

Syrte and McKinley like this.
  7. loniscup Feb 21, 2021

Beautiful duo! So nice that deep blue dial on both of them and aging of the lume on the wife's is lovely, well done :thumbsup:

McKinley and Syrte like this.
  8. Shabbaz Feb 21, 2021

Very nice!

McKinley likes this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 21, 2021

Lovely pair and you can’t do better than 28 dollars for such a high quality watch :thumbsup:
    Might have to look for one too ;)

10. SkunkPrince Feb 21, 2021

11mm is likely a replacement for US size 7/16". which you should be able to find NOS on eBay, should you care to look.

connieseamaster and McKinley like this.
  11. McKinley Feb 21, 2021

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I appreciate it. And, @SkunkPrince, I did finally find that band for the Mrs. on eBay, it just took forever to get her approval on the "right" one in color, no lizard texture, etc. It is in fact a vintage Kreisler band and I conditioned it 8 times over the course of a full day to get it softened up for use. @Syrte, I hope you do get one of these, they are a very beautiful watch. Just the right size for a lady's wrist. Thank you again all!

McK

SkunkPrince likes this.
  12. pw92676 Feb 22, 2021

I usually think vintage watches for wives who aren’t into watches aren’t a good idea. This is a big exception. Looks fantastic and very nice set on you both. Enjoy!!

McKinley and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. JwRosenthal Feb 22, 2021

Nice pair @McKinley- I do love these couples sets.

My lady wasn’t interested when we met (she didn’t wear a watch)- until I got her one she loved (first one was an Ernst Borel kaleidoscope watch)- now she has a great collection and “borrows” mine as well.
    We have his/hers Zodiac Seawolfs, she usually asks me to wear mine when she has hers on...it’s very sweet.

14. mrbreen Feb 22, 2021

Most people choose a watch to go with an outfit, but you did exactly the opposite. As a couple! Totally brings a smile to my face.

McKinley, JwRosenthal and wagudc like this.