Forums Latest Members

Mr. Barrow´s Wrist Chronograph Pattern Lemania H.S. 9.

1. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 24, 2015

Being a collector of Lemania watches, and then of course intrigued by their chronographs, I am always on the look out.
    Some weeks ago a auction lot in UK caught my attention as it looked to have a nice military chronograph as part of it. Not really mentioned too baldly, and with a very low estimate figure.

Having checked the images I became certain it had to be an early (so called series 1) Lemania H.S.9 caliber 15CHT.

After some time the images for the lot was updated and revealed that it also contained the box and the original “Bonklip” bracelet it was delivered with.
    As normal no word on the actual condition of the movement except that it was really not running that well, and that it had zero reset issues.
    IMG_5983.JPG

Digging into the H.S.9 history it soon became evident that the Bonklip bracelet and the box itself was relatively unique to find.
    When, in addition, the lot contained the WWII service medals for the airman, also in the original box it had been sent with from “Director of Navy Accounts in Somerset”, I knew I needed to make a move. I love when a watch can both tell time and a story!

Unfortunately more then myself had seen the lot, and I ended up (with my in absentia bid) to bring it home with a margin of GBP25.

I have yet to recover the actual service records of Mr. Barrow (I am working on it, and will appreciate any hints as the best way of sourcing this), but the H.S.9 was used by the Royal Fleet Arm (Navy Airforce) and normally only issued to their navigators.
    Based on the three medals he had been presented with, the War Medal, the Defence Medal and the Burma Cross it is obvious that Mr. Barrow´s had served both in the UK during WWII and also in the later parts in South East Asia.

The Bonklip bracelet was handy as it provides easy adjustment in order to fit it on the outside of a warm jacket.
    Back then the planes did not have heated cockpits, and flying high to avoid being spotted also meant you would need to dress heavily in order not to freeze.

When the watch arrived at my watchmaker it had a very weird chrono pusher. It actually was a crown having been converted to a pusher.
    One can only speculate, but it makes sense that it would be easier to operate it with thick and warm gloves compared to the relatively small regular pusher.

I was considering for a while to keep it “as found” but was strongly advised against it as it left no protection against the elements what so ever. Hence we had it replaced with a correct (original) one, and kept the odd modification parts.
    The case was only ultrasonically cleaned, so was the bracelet.
    In order to strengthen the very fragile luminous compound on the hands, some clear lacquer was applied to the back side of the hands, otherwise nothing was touched except for the regular service items as gaskets and main spring.

So here it is. Original dial, lume, hands, crown, bracelet and box.
    BTW: DIBS are futile!::psy::

IMG_5986.JPG
    IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG
    IMG_6300.JPG
    IMG_6292.JPG IMG_6299.JPG
    IMG_6303.JPG
    IMG_6309.JPG

Edited Mar 24, 2015
  2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 24, 2015

what a great story...I love it when a piece has a backstory. It makes collecting so much more enjoyable.
    Congrats, thats a great looking piece with an incredible history!!

citizenrich and Northernman like this.
  3. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Mar 24, 2015

Very cool. Nice find!

Northernman likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 24, 2015

What a great catch, congrats!

Futile it may be, but DIBS I must.

lwong and Northernman like this.
  5. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Mar 24, 2015

That's a beaut!

Northernman likes this.
  6. Hijak Mar 24, 2015

Truly incredible find!!!::love:: You're knack for finding incredible Lemanias will never cease to amaze me!:cool:

7. RCAFBuster Mar 24, 2015

Your luck at auctions continues to amaze me! A very nice pick up.

Northernman likes this.
  8. marturx Mar 24, 2015

I thought I was the Lemaniac on this forum, but now I don't know anymore....:p

Great catch, Anders, that's a true collectors kit! :thumbsup: Very well done!

9. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Mar 24, 2015

Congrats again! Wish I had of bid a bit more ;-)
    Looks great after the service. Looking fwd to hearing about Mr Barrows service history. My Grandad was in the Navy during the WW2 on Russian Convoys.

10. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 24, 2015

I think there's ample space for us both!
    With so few devoted Lemania collectors out there it will always be treasures to uncover.
    The Hunt is still on!;):thumbsup:

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 24, 2015

Super post. Beyond the watch, I really appreciate the ethic of sharing the watch and the story with the forum. Here's to many more auction victories!

12. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 25, 2015

Terrific story and watch. Thank you!

Northernman likes this.
  13. papazulu Mar 25, 2015

dohhh...what a beautiful watch, I've been looking for one for ages!

Northernman likes this.
  14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 25, 2015

Fantastic Anders - that's all I can say.

Northernman likes this.
  15. Davidt Mar 25, 2015

What a catch. It's great to see the full package and the history behind it all.

Northernman likes this.
  16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 2, 2015

Yes, I felt genuine excitement for Anders as I read his words. It built to a crescendo and is a wonderful story.

Northernman likes this.
  17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 2, 2015

These poor guys flew in pitch black with absolutely no light. I imagine the brightest thing on the deck or gunners seat was the warm glow of the radium on these watch dials. I wonder why he didn't lume 6. I bet there's a good reason?

Northernman likes this.
  18. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 2, 2015

There is a lume mark (line) on the 6 marker. At first I thought it was a bad service job as it does not sit on the mark but rather halfway up on the 6 numeral. Having studied pictures of several other original dials it appeared that this is actually how it was made according to spec.
    Good thing I discovered it before I had it corrected by my watchmaker.
    Cheers!

citizenrich likes this.
  19. sweets Apr 18, 2015

I just spotted this.
    Nice catch, I was one of your under-bidders.
    You've installed a new second hand too haven't you, I noticed prior to the auction that the original seemed to be missing its tail. Unless it was hiding under a crystal scratch.
    Great resto work, minimally consistent.
    And lovely that it is so complete and with a short service life, as most of these would have ended up being double struck, but this retians its sole HS9 number - very nice.
    Dave

Northernman likes this.
  20. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 18, 2015

Hi Dave.
    Well spotted.
    The chrono seconds hand was missing its "poise". My watchmaker had a correct one in stock.
    I won the bid with the smallest margin ever.... It turned out really well and I believe it still is a sound investment. Since I will not sell it it does not matter anyhow.

Cheers!