Forums Latest Members
  1. abrod520 Jul 28, 2016

Well, it's that time, I'm moving - but this time, it's a long-distance move. I'm still staying within the United States but I wanted to know if anyone had any tips for moving a watch collection - it's only about 10 or so at this point, but valuable enough that I'd rather not stick them in a box in a truck for a few days.

Has anyone flown within a country's borders with a large number of watches? I'm worried I'd be flagged and suspected of trying to sell them, and having to go through a whole thing.

Any thoughts / advice / experiences would be appreciated!

2. chunkythebulldog Jul 28, 2016

I've just flown fron Manchester, England to Las Vegas with 5 watches and I had no problem with Customs

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. Maximus84 Jul 28, 2016

I've just flown from Gatwick to Vegas! Only a couple of watches though so kept the, with me in hand luggage.

I'm here for 3 years so planning on adding to the collection!

OMGRLX likes this.
  4. ReturnOfUltraman Jul 28, 2016

Just mail them to me and I'll hold onto them for a while. No charge for a fine gentleman such as yourself.

5. abrod520 Jul 28, 2016

Actually did consider shipping either to myself or an OF member, but I think the insured value might be too high to be economical!

6. abrod520 Jul 28, 2016

Good deal, if you can make it from outside the country with 5, the TSA might not care about me with 10

7. chunkythebulldog Jul 28, 2016

If you want a GTG I'm in the Cosmopolitan until Friday

OMGRLX and ahartfie like this.
  8. Hijak Jul 28, 2016

Ten watches...just get a watch roll or two and carry them with you. I've carried eight or so watches in a roll while traveling by plane with no issues.:thumbsup:

OMGRLX and Larry S like this.
  9. abrod520 Jul 28, 2016

I would, but I'm in New York....for now :)

10. abrod520 Jul 28, 2016

Yeah, my concern would be them seeing a bunch of watches on the X-ray, then thinking I'm trying to sell them while avoiding tax or something. Sounds like it's not an issue though!

11. Hijak Jul 28, 2016

I've done this many times and never had an issue.

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. Canuck Jul 28, 2016

I nearly lost my (then) modest collection to U S customs at Sweetgrass, Montana, 25 years ago. On the way to Denver, Colorado, to an NAWCC convention. I made several mistakes. A/ taking the watches. B/ answering to guy in the booth honestly when he asked where I was going and what I'd be doing, and C/ answering "Yes"when he asked if I was taking any watches! I was immediately called aside, and ordered to show my watches. We were tied up at U S customs for over five hours trying to resolve the issue! After the duty inspector made a phone call somewhere, I was ordered to take my watches back to Canada, and was told I was allowed only one watch! Back 38 k to Milk River, Alberta, to a Treasury Branch where I rented a safety deposit box. Returned to the border, and the same guy was in the booth. He asked if I'd left my watches in Canada, and I told him I had. He told us to have a good holiday. The inspector at the border was named Dennis. Dennis, if you're reading this, you are an _ _ _ _ _ _ _! You takes your chances with Customs if you are leaving the country!

toddle321, abrod520 and Fritz like this.
  13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 28, 2016

Drive.

and don't cross any boarders.

14. Hijak Jul 28, 2016

Since the OP isn't crossing any international borders this is irrelevant to his query, nice story though:thumbsup:.

Archer and Foo2rama like this.
  15. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2016

Not an issue in my opinion .....

Best

Bill

16. abrod520 Jul 28, 2016

Haha yes not crossing any borders thankfully. Just don't want to get stopped by an X-ray scan full of watches! Sounds like I'll make it though :)

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2016

I concur, I have flown numerous times with many watches, tens of thousands in photo gear, etc. It is not an issue. The TSA is only setup to look for illegal weapons. There is no other authority concern.

OMGRLX likes this.
  18. lillatroll Jul 28, 2016

I am currently on holiday. I traveled from Kuwait to Finland, from Finland to France, from France to Italy, From Italy to Spain and my last journey is from Spain to the UK.I have 6 watches with me that have been in my hand luggage on every part of my holiday and no one has stopped me or asked me any questions about any of my possesions, not least why I have 6 omega watches on my person.

OMGRLX likes this.
  19. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jul 28, 2016

If you are only flying within the US then just put them in your carry-on bag and never let it out of your sight. Do not go through body scanner or metal detector until you see your bag actually enter the x-ray machine. Never had a problem taking a dozen or more with me.

abrod520 and OMGRLX like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 28, 2016

10 Watches is not a problem. I travel internationally with multiple watches all the time. I've also purchased new watches in Europe that came home without incident. As suggested buy a roll and stick them in the safest deepest darkest place in your carry on. (then forget about them) Years ago I made the weak moment/food poisoning (thanks Air China Lounge) mistake of mentioning I'd bought my wife some jewelry coming back from a long business trip to ANZ and China. I wound up in the bag search area. Pissed me off. Course it happened without mention the first time I came back from Turkey. Guy just looked at me and said "Where's the food and I hope you had it wrapped correctly! " Fortunately I had.

Always make sure you stow your carry-on in the overhead after everyone is settled/retrieve it as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off at gate. Insure your watches.

OMGRLX likes this.