Forums Latest Members

SOLD Movado M95 Sub-Sea Panda Dial

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Feb 17, 2020

A couple big purchases are on the horizon so I'm trying to thin the herd proactively at the start of 2020. This is a very rarely seen chronograph that is (in my very humble opinion) the best value in vintage watches today. I believe the last panda example to sell publicly was actually here on OF last July. I'll elaborate more below in certain sections, but the only reason I am selling is because I have three M95 examples and can't justify it any longer. Hopefully another collector enjoys this example as much as I have. See below for more info:

Dial: Matte white dial with metallic subdials is in good overall condition and features the applied "top hat" logo, which is my favorite iteration. There are two very small marks on the dial - one to the right of the hand stack in the right subdial, and the other just above / left of the center hand stack. Lume plots are all present and matching with creamy patina. Overall, I find Movado dials from this era to be among the highest quality that I have seen and this is no exception.

Hands: All hands are original and the chrono hand is blued steel, which is a beautiful, subtle reminder of Movado's finishing touches during this time period. The minute hand has lost a bit of lume, which I've observed in nearly every M95 that I've seen (I believe the lume cut-out is simply to thin).

Case: Another reason that the M95 has become one of my favorite watches is the "fat" 35mm case, which is reminiscent of the Patek Philippe 1463 and was manufactured by the same case provider as the 1463 (François Borgel). The lugs on this example are sharp and have not been polished previously, in my opinion. The screwdown caseback has pitting on one side (shown in macro pictures) but the integrity of the caseback is fine (see inner caseback shot).

Movement / Functionality: The final reason I believe these are undervalued is the M95 chronograph caliber, which was the first modular chronograph movement to be produced and was utilized in continuous production for over 30 years after its introduction in 1939. Aside from being unique and horologically noteworthy, it is beautifully constructed (as you can see in pictures below) and capable of tracking up to 60 minutes, in addition to the running hours and seconds. I have owned the watch for about a year and a half and in that time, it has kept accurate time and functioned flawlessly. Chronograph starts/stops/resets crisply. As an FYI, this is one of the few chronographs that starts/stops using the bottom button and resets with the top.

Accessories: I am including the strap shown in the pictures, which is unworn.

My asking price is $8,500 or best offer, which includes fully insured Fedex Priority shipping. Payment via PayPal (F&F or add 3% if using PP) or direct bank wire. US sale strongly preferred. Face-to-face in Chicago is also welcome for local buyers. Returns are not accepted unless I have materially misrepresented something (and I don't believe I have). Finally, I have plenty of references available as a buyer and seller that I can provide if necessary. Thanks for looking and thanks to OF for the space.
    1.31.20-2.jpg 1.31.20-1.jpg 1.31.20-3.jpg 1.31.20-4.jpg 1.31.20-8.jpg 1.31.20-5.jpg 1.31.20-7.jpg 1.31.20-6.jpg 1.31.20-9.jpg 1.31.20-10.jpg

Shabbaz, wristpirate, tmw57 and 21 others like this.
  2. jhross98 Feb 17, 2020

Great example.. Doubt this lasts long. Glws

bazamu likes this.
  3. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Feb 17, 2020

And just like that, OHPF. Might be a new record!

Flatfoot and Dial & Bezel like this.
  4. budgewink Feb 17, 2020

Amazing watch GLWS!

5. cholack Feb 17, 2020

Oh crap....I missed this by 75min

bazamu likes this.