Forums Latest Members

Motorcycle Riding and Watches

1. dlg May 19, 2017

So, big debate amongst watch enthusiasts and riders. Hoping to open this one up on the Omega Forums.

Motorcycle riding and Omega's, yay or nay?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 19, 2017

Very WUS's-type thread... If already being debated on other forums, why start another?

3. bryanmanio May 19, 2017

The only time I dropped my speedy and had to get the crystal replaced was when I was riding. The vibrations on the handlebar loosened the stap, and when I stopped, it fell of my wrist. Horrible moment.

4. abrod520 May 19, 2017

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. jaguar11 May 19, 2017

I always figured watches were meant for wearing....... Not much point in my mind in having if you don't wear and enjoy. What better time than while enjoying two wheeled fun!!!

BrianMcKay and blufinz52 like this.
  6. dlg May 19, 2017

Why reply with something like this? There's really too many threads that I really couldn't start another on a topic that I was genuinely curious about?

I started it on Omega Forums cause its a different community, a community I identify more with, and I do not have a WUS account or frequent much over there.

7. Hkolka May 19, 2017

Not to mention not everyone is on other forums, some people only have one watch (an omega) and they're only on here.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 19, 2017

You indicate in your OP that you want to open a debate... And one that is already ongoing on other forums. That sounds like you want to start something contentious 'just because'. That is my reading of what was written ::confused2::

Jonatan likes this.
  9. dlg May 19, 2017

Maybe try reading it in multiple ways, and not start drama? If you have nothing good to say, maybe just move onto the next thread?

As I said, I don't belong to other forums. All I have is Omegas so far, and honestly, I don't need to explain. I recommend avoiding responding with comments that are negative so we don't perpetuate watch snobbery.

I agree!
    Damn, that sounds bad. Though I'm more concerned with a screw coming loose inside the case, instead of my bracelet.

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 19, 2017

I am fine with how I responded, but thanks for the suggestions.

11. neilfrancis May 19, 2017

Are there any brands out there that identify themselves closely with motorcycling, or the motorcycling community?

I was talking with Giles at Schofield watches the other week, and he made an interesting point: all brands needs a geographic or cultural 'location'. For examples: Breitling and Bremont are in the air, Panerai under the sea, Schofield are on the coast. There are 'motoring/auto' oriented brands aplenty, etc,etc.

Anyone 'own' motorbiking?

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2017

13. abrod520 May 19, 2017

Well the Tudor Fastrider has been marketed with images of motorcycle riding; see

[​IMG]

And there's always the old Heuer Jacky Ickx Easy Rider:

[​IMG]

Obviously being a Heuer model, it had a lot of cache with auto racing, and appears here next to a race car - but it was introduced in 1971, two years after the film Easy Rider became an enormous counter-cultural touchstone.

You could always run a quick Google to see if any watch companies sponsor FIM Superbike or MotoGP too. For some reason I think it's Tissot but I could be wrong

UPDATE: Yep, Tissot.

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-us/sports/fim-superbike-world-championship.html

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-en/shop/tissot-t-race-2.html

neilfrancis and dlg like this.
  14. Nathan1967 May 19, 2017

Hmm, Interesting I can't think of a brand that owns motorcycling. But there is the Time Factors/ Smiths Vincent Black Shadow Watch.

I think you're onto something here, is there room for a motorcycling micro brand in the market place?

Are there Any vintage motorcycling icons who wore iconic watches? Barry Sheen, Agostini, Ivan Mauger?

IMG_4787.PNG

dlg and neilfrancis like this.
  15. Nathan1967 May 19, 2017

Oh and I'm a Yay by the way- let's see where this goes!

dlg likes this.
  16. cvrle1 May 19, 2017

Hoping that Kentucky Kid pulls trough.

upload_2017-5-19_16-22-18.jpeg

As mentioned, Tissot has large collection of motorcycle inspired watches (WSBK, MotoGP, etc)

As for the question, that is a big no. I would not wear any watch while riding. Few reasons. Vibrations can make the watch all screwey, no point in taking a chance. This is especially true if we are talking about some expensive watches. Also, they wouldnt fit under my leathers. Cuffs on my jacket are tight, and full gauntlet gloves go over. No way would watch fit. And if it did, it would most likely be really uncomfortable.

BrianMcKay and OmegaSean like this.
  17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 19, 2017

big bore singles and vintage watches.... never had a problem.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  18. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 19, 2017

I say YAY! :thumbsup:

Let the good times roll! :thumbsup:

File pic riding my Manco minibike wearing my Omega Speedy Gonzales Moonwatch on its Omega replica NASA strap...

IMG_2661.JPG

abrod520, Fritz, neilfrancis and 2 others like this.
  19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 19, 2017

Wore a Submariner for 20+ years 24/7.
    Rode everything almost daily, from a Honda CB110 step thru to BMW100RT with a good selection of single thumpers thrown in.
    Never had a problem with the watch.

BrianMcKay, dlg and wsfarrell like this.
  20. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! May 19, 2017

Rider and motorcycle journalist for 30+ and 20+ years, respectively. Wore my 1979 Tudor Submariner without a problem pretty much the entire time on literally dozens of different bikes. It's retired now, but I wear my other watches, all Rolex or Tudor, without issue. As for Omegas, I've never owned one.

Mushroomhead and BrianMcKay like this.