Forums Latest Members
  1. Toishome Jul 14, 2017

Thinking of buying a Speedmaster Mark III from the early 70's. Original owner but no box or paperwork. Watch was worn twice in all the years and they tell me that the case has never been opened.
    Wondering if this would add value or could it be bad since goes to show that watch was never serviced.

$_27.JPG
    Uniqez likes this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 14, 2017

No value added, and there are risks, as you suggest.

Much better to see the condition of the movement.

td69 likes this.
  3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 14, 2017

Is that a photo of the actual watch you are considering buying, or just sample photo you found? If that's the watch, I'd be really suspicious, because that photo is from a 2015 sales ad here on OF: https://omegaforums.net/threads/vin...iii-176-002-1040-1970-superb-condition.29649/ Definitely not a one-owner watch.

And if the seller indeed has that actual watch but is just using the photos from that ad, it is not a twice-worn example, it is refurbished.

4. Slo084 Jul 14, 2017

^ agree. Especially when buying vintage watches, I would like to at least see the movement for its condition and validation.

5. Toishome Jul 14, 2017

Damn that is the picture :eek: Thank you for that. Saved me lots of time and aggravation.

wkimmd and Andy K like this.
  6. sgrossma Jul 14, 2017

Has positives and negatives. I've seen some sellers use it as a marketing tactic / gimmick. An unopened case means that everything inside would still be original, which is nice. But also means likely needs an expensive service.

7. wkimmd Jul 14, 2017

that's why you ask OF, right????

8. Toishome Jul 14, 2017

Yes. I was thinking of buying that watch and thats were the question came up for me because seller was saying the case was never opened.

9. WhatYourWatchSay Jul 14, 2017

Hey Toishome, we might be neighbours!

I've seen that one listed and if it's the one in south western Ontario, you should take the sellers description with a grain of salt. I've bought from him before and he is very optimistic with his descriptions.

If he can open the case backs on the other Omegas he has for sale why didn't he open that one?

10. richardew Jul 14, 2017

If a vintage watch has never been opened then it's never been serviced. In a 40+ year old watch, that's not necessarily a good thing.

11. td69 Jul 14, 2017

+1 on no value added here. You will need service regardless.

12. Toishome Jul 14, 2017

Hey. Not sure this is the same person. It is the same location. Found them online in kijiji.
    The fact that they are using someone else's picture tells me this is for sure a fraudulent sale.
    Who doesn't have a camera on their phone now a days?

P.S. By the way I am in Oakville. You are not stalking me are you ??:D

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. WhatYourWatchSay Jul 14, 2017

Yeah, that's the one. I'm sure he has one for sale but it's most likely not as nice as the one he used the picture of and when you get there he'll give you a song and dance about the discrepancy.

Of course not! It's not like I'm standing outside your window right now :whistling:

chipsotoole, Toishome and Uniqez like this.