Forums Latest Members
  1. martingue Jul 21, 2018

ok thank you all.
    My stepmother told me to throw it
    My wife told me that it is too expensive. but you all think opposite.
    I am in the same case when I bought my Bell & ross, nobody in my family understood how I could spend so much money in a watch.
    I will repair this omega!
    and change the strap for a leather one. the watchmaker said it is definitely not the original one.

I will send a picture when it will be done.

felsby likes this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 21, 2018

If the dial is original.
    Before you commit to spend anything on the repair, you should find out if the dial is original or if it has been refinished.
    For that, you should have the crystal removed, take a really crisp picture, and post it here.

You should be aware that if the dial was refinished the watch has more sentimental value than monetary value.
    It also has value if you like it and would enjoy wearing it.
    Best to figure it all out before you go and spend on the repair.

3. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Jul 22, 2018

With the history mentioned, a redial seems improbable.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 22, 2018

When I magnify the dial picture I see: no “swiss” or “swiss made” script underneath the bottom marker, “Omega” logo looking inky and relatively uneven. (To be confirmed without that crystal on).
    If this 1950s watch was used consistently from the 1950s to the 1970s, it must have been serviced a number of times, and in those days it was frequent that the dial was redone during service.
    My grand father’s 1960s gold Omega, despite being almost never worn and only by himself, nonetheless has a refinished dial - which can only have happened during a service, because that’s unfortunately what they did in those days.

Edited Jul 22, 2018
    Foo2rama and Davidt like this.
  5. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Jul 22, 2018

you are correct in the "redial as a part of service". One cannot rule it out. And guilloche markings are more difficult to evaluate.

Syrte likes this.
  6. martingue Jul 22, 2018

Could you tell me how I can remove the crystal? Even if I am realy interested in watch and I am planning to take lessons I am currently a beginner....
    I don't find this kind of dial when I search the watch model on google but that doesn't mean it is a fake right?

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 22, 2018

You need to go to a professional watchmaker to get that crystal off, you cannot remove it yourself.

The dial is probably not a fake, but it might have undergone a surface refinish— which diminishes it value as a collectable.