Forums Latest Members
  1. martingue Jul 16, 2018

hello everybody,

Last week I was very pleased to be offered a omega watch from my mother in law. we was given by her grand father...the watche is old!

And not working...

My mother in law never used since 30years but it was working well before.

My questions:

Is it interesting and easy to repare?
    What would be an estimated cost?
    is it an original watch? (I am 99% sure as I opened it.)
    can someone give me a name and date of this watch?

thank you in advance for your help.

Martin

20180716_192757.jpg 20180716_193238.jpg 20180716_193247.jpg 20180716_193309.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. Dan S Jul 16, 2018

Obviously it appears that water has entered the watch, so ease and expense of repairs will depend on how badly corroded the movement is, and how many parts will need to be replaced. The watch is from approximately 1953 (using the 13.6M serial number as a guide). The reference number (2650) on the inside of the case-back identifies the model (https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-other-omega-ot-2650), and the movement is a cal. 420, as noted on the movement.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. BenBagbag Jul 16, 2018

It looks like it will be a watch that will need serious work. I see rust. That is not good.

Start thinking $200 before factoring in any parts that this watch will need. Could be $500 when factoring in parts. Should be able to get an estimate from a watchmaker before proceeding with work.

It is likely original (not a fake) but I can't tell about the dial but looks like a redial to me.

Google "Omega 2650" to see similar watches.

You're welcome,

Ben

mayankyadav likes this.
  4. martingue Jul 16, 2018

Thank you for this first answer. I don't think it is water but my mother in law is brazilian so I it more due to the weather and the humidity but it is the same result I guess..

5. jimmyd13 Jul 16, 2018

Hi @martingue welcome to the forums.

First up, don't be tempted to wind the watch. It's in poor mechanical condition and letting it run won't help.

Second, where are you? This needs the attentions of a good watchmaker and more than a few parts. There may be members close to you who can recommend someone. Be prepared to pay close to the market value of the watch to have it back to good condition.

Third, you've got all the "bones" there. That is, you've got the major parts. It is repairable. The image of the dial is too poor (due to the distortions from scratches on the dial) to call it, but I wouldn't be quick to call it a redial. The printing on these textured dials is off sometimes (but I wouldn't even call it "off" based on that one photo). The lume is missing from the hands, so it's been opened as I don't see bits floating around.

Despite how much rust is there, I think this will clean up - it's mostly remnants of the seal and around the case back. There's a screw showing significant corrosion which means you should expect more but I've had watches in this condition that have been brought back to life if you're prepared to throw some money at it. Just let us know where in the world you are.

noelekal, felsby and BenBagbag like this.
  6. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Jul 16, 2018

Also, guilloche ("waffle") dials are sought after. So a repairing may be well spent.

7. BenBagbag Jul 16, 2018

This watch is probably ~32mm (the 420 movements are tiny) so I would not start pushing this as a particularly collectible watch.

IMO, money should be put into this only insofar as it has sentimental value.

8. martingue Jul 16, 2018

Thanks for these answers again.
    I live in France, Lyon. I am already looking for a good professional for this repear. if some of you know someone here in Lyon...
    I was wrong, this watch was onwed by my wife's grand father (and not her grand grand father) anyway I don't want to sell it I want to make it run and wear it (my B&R will have some rest :) ). It is more sentimental.

But if you tell me it will cost 1000€ and the watch value is 200€ then I will maybe think different...

What I can say is that if I unlock the crown I can move the hands normally. BUT if the crown is locked, the hands move also if I try to wind....(sorry I tried....) I will not touch anymore.

Is it easy to change the plexiglas?

Another subject: this week was definitely a good week: My father found in my grand father house 2 other omegas watchs: see attached.

The seamaster works perfectly: could you just estimate the price? his brothers & sisters want to know before decide who will have it....
    the pocket watch doesn't work anymore. So we will try to repear it also. can you estimate it also? I didn't open so I can't give pictures from inside.

Thank you

Martin

20180715_114434.jpg 20180715_114440.jpg
  9. martingue Jul 16, 2018

you are right, the watch is 32mm and I know that omega vintage doesn't mean a good value.
    I really want to repear it & clean it & USE IT! :)

10. Dan S Jul 16, 2018

If you are serious about wanting good information about these watches, it would be helpful if you could put in a bit more effort to give us information and post good photos - in focus, high resolution, from multiple angles, including the inside. Also, perhaps you can measure the sizes of the cases. Many of your photos are focused on your fingers instead of the watch.

Davidt likes this.
  11. martingue Jul 16, 2018

Ok I will try to make better pictures for the watch I want to repear.
    The 2 others I dont have with me where I live. It was just to have an idea.

12. Davidt Jul 17, 2018

I assume the Geneve is gold plated or capped and not solid gold. You can usually tell as gold capped has a steel case back.

Assuming gold capped it's not worth much. Maybe 150-200 Euro.

13. martingue Jul 17, 2018

Ok.

I am a bit surprised. Even if I know that omega produced a lot of watch that have no value.
    Anyway both of them have sentimental value for me!

felsby likes this.
  14. martingue Jul 17, 2018

Here are more pictures about the watch I am about to repear. Looks like the crown is damaged by the corrosion.

20180717_133544.jpg 20180717_133531.jpg 20180717_133700.jpg 20180717_133631.jpg 20180717_133739.jpg 20180717_133722.jpg 20180717_133518.jpg
  15. martingue Jul 21, 2018

Hello all,
    I have a quotation from a professional in lyon to repear the watch.
    It is 390€ to change the crown and remove oxydation. He said it will work.
    the replacement of the glass is included.

what do you think about this price? I also asked to another and he said he will send to omega but it will be much more expensive if omega does it.

thanks.

Martin

16. Jhawlz9989 Jul 21, 2018

Does the sentimental value trump the monetary value? If so, I would get it repaired. Regardless of collectibility, you will end up with a beautiful (IMO) watch with a ton of family history that you may really enjoy wearing.

Josh

17. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Jul 21, 2018

Not exactly cheap, but I doubt that any serious watchmaker would do it for less.
    Get it fixed, pay the €. In a short time, you will have forgotten the expense, but you will keep enjoying your watch.

Gon, NOTSHARP, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 21, 2018

Keep the hands and dial. Do no repair on them. Do not polish the case.

19. Seaborg Jul 21, 2018

Same. I would personally make it repaired and I would wear it everyday. It's a really nice watch :thumbsup:

felsby likes this.
  20. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Jul 21, 2018

Totally agree on dial and case. I would relume the hands, though. Hate see-through skeleton hands.