Forums Latest Members
  1. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Nov 27, 2016

OK so it's just a watch, but the description of William Morris "red" house seemed very apt for the wonderfully aged dial on this rare Connie.

IMG_5661.PNG
    IMG_5668.PNG

This reference cal 504 and dial configuration has been shared and written about by Dennis @ulackfocus previously.
    And I was lucky enough to find this unloved in a job lot of watches at a local auction.

I'm a big fan of rose gold and when coupled with a black dial has to be my favourite combination. It's hard to capture the dial in photos and I've included my best attempts with my iPhone camera.

It still retains some of its glossy finish, however it's started to flake and reveal some of the copper / brass base plate below and changes depending on the type of light and angles.

The medallion on the case back is rose gold, and watch has nice substantial feel and weight to it, which belies its size. And in my opinion wears and sits very well on the wrist. All that was needed was the addition of replacement crown.

I feel blessed to have found the watch and its been getting plenty of wrist time. It's great to know that there are still affordable gems to be had, especially when we read so often about the large sums of money zyx sold for, increased in value by on the forum.

Big thank you to Desmond @mondodec for your time and help with this one.

Enjoy and kept hunting.

IMG_5665.PNG IMG_5664.PNG IMG_5666.PNG IMG_5667.PNG

ahartfie, Darlinboy, Deafboy and 9 others like this.
  2. Finrod Felagund Nov 27, 2016

Conragtulations for this nice catch! :thumbsup:

The watch shows a lot of caracter and you seems to love it very much already !!

Wear it in good health!

3. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Nov 27, 2016

4. Delroyb Nov 27, 2016

Absolutely digging the look of that watch.

Mods likes this.
  5. cristos71 Nov 27, 2016

Aha, here it is! Well done, I was also a bidder on that lot, I can´t remember exactly now but IIRC I was the underbidder with a fire and forget commission bid! I´m happy to see it turn up here and it certainly looks better than the auction picture :)

Jwit likes this.
  6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 27, 2016

The Red House and a Connie in one thread
    Great combination
    Lovely watch congratulations
    By chance the guy we bought our house off in Leeds was brought up in the Red House - his family owned it - lucky fella

Mods likes this.
  7. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Nov 27, 2016

Well I'm glad you didn't go all in Cris;)
    And your right the auction pictures didn't do it justice and I think I was lucky to get it. It's now part of the OM family :)

8. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Nov 27, 2016

A lucky guy indeed. Would love to visit the red house. I recently went to the WM house in London and was blown away by the diversity and quality on display.
    It was interesting to read that he wanted to bring high quality and beautiful products to the public at reasonable prices - or at least make the process acessable. While he failed to really make them affordable due to uncompromising on production and materials used, he really was an artist rather "business man".
    But it was actually his unconventional "customer approach" dealing with customers that endeared and won him business. His clear love and enthusiasm for his crafts and products.

Some of the reason I like vintage watches and other antiques is the amazing craftsmanship that you just don't always see today.

ahartfie likes this.