Forums Latest Members
  1. LJDRVR Apr 7, 2013

So here's my problem.

I have a '99 Omega Speedmaster Professional, the 30th anniversary moonwatch. The bracelet failed and it came off my wrist during a bike ride, I didn't notice. I went back and found it, it had been driven into the ground by cars.

I finally had it sent off to Omega last month, the repair quote is $3400. Including an $800 bracelet. So do I:

• Forget about it and save my money. Nothing dishonorable about wearing my Seiko and TImex.
    • Suck it up and get my speedy back, add it to my homeowner's insurance in the future and enjoy the watch?
    • Skip the OEM bracelet and put it on a nice reproduction of the NASA Velcro strap that once affixed these lovely watches to the Apollo astronaut's spacesuits?

I paid $1800 cash for this watch new in 1998. This Omega has been on my wrist all over the world and was the one watch from childhood I always wanted. They were $795 when I was sixteen, might have well been 10K.

Thanks for the opinions, I welcome everybody's opinions - flame away if you feel like it.

Necessary Items:

Movement Parts $593.00 Necessary
    Crown $71.00 Necessary
    Crystal $80.00 Necessary
    Dial $119.00 Necessary
    Hands $80.00 Necessary
    Water Test $0.00 Necessary
    Gasket $0.00 Necessary
    Bracelet Replacement $831.00 Necessary
    Miscellaneous $890.00 Necessary
    Complete Service $710.00 Necessary
    Total Necessary Items:$3,374.00

Total Cost of Service:$3,374.00*

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 7, 2013

Neither , get an alternative quote from Al Archer as he is an expert and fully trained on these. Archer

Al is a forum member here and operates Archer Watches, watch repair.

Prange likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Apr 7, 2013

You could buy a mint pre-owned replacement and keep the other for parts.

Prange likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 7, 2013

What's a Miscellaneous, why does it cost $890, and why is it necessary :\

5. AJDay Apr 7, 2013

Agreed. Sounds like most of the watch would be replaced (eliminating the physical material that may be sentimental), so you can keep these parts and get a nice pre-owned to wear.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 7, 2013

there are a few for sale at the moment at the sales forum.
    could we see pics of the state of the watch? Omega likes to replace things that most other people don't think need replacing.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 7, 2013

I'm guessing it, to use a phrase from Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars fame, "Needs one of everything", but we'd be keen to see some photos of the battle damage in any case

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 7, 2013

Things that are "necessary" to Omega aren't always really necessary in reality.

Get a second opinion as suggested above.

9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 9, 2013

PM sent. I may be able to help.

oddboy likes this.
  10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 29, 2015

I was at boutique few weeks back. An individual brought in their speedy while I was there and the price quoted for service was $700. I suspect this is the price if nothing is found wrong?

I am on the fence about servicing my Gemini IV. It is unpolished, almost mint, and has never been opened (red dot intact). I would hate to have Omega come back with a list like above. Mics at $800. #CraCra

11. jim13x Jan 29, 2015

You can buy a really nice Speedmaster of the same vintage from a reputable dealer on this forum (like Mr. Kringkily) in the $2500 range. I would frame your watch as is and hang it on the wall. Please post a few pictures here for the morbidly curious.

I wear my Speedy on a nato strap all the time. I think it looks great, and it's not going to fall off easily. In fact I'm wearing it right now...

Let us know what you end up doing. Jim

2015-01-29 17.04.49.jpg
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 30, 2015

When you said you sent this to Omega, what does that mean? Where exactly did you send it?

Some of the prices stated are okay, but others are way out of whack. The bracelet, dial, and hand prices are about right, but the crystal being $80 - it only costs $30. The crown at $71 - it only costs $20.

So I wonder who is quoting you these oddball prices, assuming you are providing the numbers/descriptions as given on the quote, because they don't really jive with the costs I would expect Omega to be giving.

Without knowing what is included in the $593 of movement parts, or what $890 of miscellaneous is, it's difficult to say what the cost really might be, but some of these numbers are not right for sure.

And I have brought back a Speedmaster that was run over, so I have some experience doing this sort of work.

Cheers, Al

13. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 30, 2015

There have been some really old threads resurrected in the last couple of days. Nothing more to add. Oh, I can say its Friday afternoon! :thumbsup:

14. forestry Apr 14, 2015

Can I see a picture of the watch?

15. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 14, 2015

This is nuts! Might as well get the watch back and leave it alone. Put it in a box for nostalgic reasons, then go out and buy a brand new one for that price quote!

16. scook94 Apr 15, 2015

This is like one of those posts you see on Facebook, where someone reposts an entry from several years ago and calls it "nostalgia" or some-such tripe.

Frunkinator likes this.
  17. Prange Apr 22, 2015

I'd get a second opinion,for sure.

It still may be easier to buy another one. Though it's hard to put a price on sentimental value.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 22, 2015

On the subject of second opinions...

I just shipped back a vintage Speedmaster from 1971 to an owner today who had originally taken it to Omega. They told him the case would not seal and had to be replaced, and of course he was not happy with that. They also insisted that the tritium hands had to be replaced. He contacted me and after we discussed it, he got the watch back from Omega and sent it to me. I serviced the watch, and yes the case back was pitted, and there was one small pit in the case itself where the seal sat. However Omega could not have known this, since the case back gasket had turned to black goop and I had to scrape it out and then clean the groove with alcohol. The pitting there was only visible after the case was cleaned up.

In addition to fully servicing the movement, I replaced the crystal, crown, pushers, and case back gasket, and despite the pitting the case sealed fine. The hands were in perfect shape - no reason at all to change them.

Sometimes it's worth getting a second opinion.

Cheers, Al

Etp095 and italy1861 like this.