Forums Latest Members
  1. davidsm9 Aug 8, 2017

Hello all, I am looking to purchase a first Speedmaster. I want a manual wind watch with a leather strap and am considering the First Omega in Space or the Moonwatch Professional. I realize that one of these is a little smaller than the other, and that is a consideration.
    I assume I can put a leather strap on the Professional?
    I haven't seen these in personal for a while. Can someone tell me whether the steel finish on these is shiny or matte? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 8, 2017

3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 8, 2017

Here's a side by side I took yesterday.

@Kreindog24 and I were going back and forth between which one we would pick and we both kept coming back to the Speedy Pro with the hesalite crystal.

There's a lot of differences between these two pieces. I suggest you take some time and do a lot of research.

And yes, you can put a leather strap on either of them.

IMG_3487.JPG
  4. M'Bob Aug 8, 2017

No need to worry, if the disease finds its way to you, you will purchase both; problem solved.

ckhaing, befobe, Stretch44 and 16 others like this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 8, 2017

FIFY

Eve, Fusion, AveConscientia and 4 others like this.
  6. abdo Aug 8, 2017

I just recently bought a FOIS and decided to get it over the Moonwatch for a few reasons:

First, I'm not a huge fan of the metal bracelet on this watch. I know it's very well made, but it's just not something I'd find myself wearing.
    Second, I love the throwback look with the alpha hands and the crown without the crown guards.
    Third, I actually prefer the 40mm size vs the 42mm of the Moonwatch. I have 7-inch wrists which would still be fine with Moonwatch, but I think the 40mm just looks great.

At the end of the day, you just gotta try on both and see which one you like more. Hope that helps!

Sidreilley, Fusion, praetor and 3 others like this.
  7. Df13 Aug 8, 2017

Yeah, the dial/bezel are still the same size in both models.

Sidreilley likes this.
  8. Ssunnylee24 Aug 8, 2017

I like mine now, it took some time though.
    At first I thought it looked too dressy.

image.jpg
  9. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 8, 2017

The Speedmaster Pro has one particular feature that really sets it apart from the FOIS: the acrylic crystal. Before owning a Speedy Pro my natural inclination was to steadfastly avoid acrylic, for fear of scratching the crystal. But comparing the aesthetic appeal of the sapphire crystal on the FOIS with the acrylic of the Speedy Pro...well... there's no comparison: acrylic blows sapphire out of the water. Yes, acrylic requires some special care and feeding -- a tube of Polywatch is a must-have item, but since getting a Speedy Pro as my first acrylic crystal watch, I now prefer acrylic anytime there is a choice (acrylic vs. sapphire) based on vintage.

And then, after getting yourself a hesalite Speedmaster, you should get yourself the FOIS anyway -- because it's a freaking awesome watch, too :)

IMG_1181_mods.jpg

noelekal, ckhaing, ras47 and 11 others like this.
  10. alam Aug 8, 2017

Ritzwatch likes this.
  11. Shailor Aug 8, 2017

Speedmaster Pro with the bracelet for me. I've owned it for 25 years and it's like a trusted friend. It's getting an overhaul but I'll post photos when it's done.

chiswick and AveConscientia like this.
  12. davidsm9 Aug 8, 2017

I suspect the tachymeter scale is more prone to scratches than the Pro...?

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 8, 2017

Both great, I like the GPS a little better at the moment

14. Riviera Paradise Aug 8, 2017

My ranking just from an aesthetic perspective and ignoring pricing as a factor:
    1. A vintage in good condition Speedy Pro with patina. I really think the patina brings much needed warmth and colour variation to the monochromatic dial.
    2. FOIS
    3. Modern Speedy Pro

15. sdre Aug 8, 2017

i'm actually considering a speedy pro, considering my budget... but the fois hits the nail on the head for me haha.

Sidreilley likes this.
  16. drhex Aug 11, 2017

Both, has you sort of have the genesis of the speedy without the risk of damaging a historic timepiece. I like the straight case but almost never wear my 105.003.

17. N1CK Aug 11, 2017

Don't worry about straps and bracelets, given those are interchangeable.

The decision is all down to whether you prefer hessalite or sapphire and modern hands+painted logo or alpha hands+applied logo.

davidsm9 likes this.
  18. pianomankd Aug 11, 2017

Moon Pro Hesalite all the way!
    FullSizeRender.jpg

noelekal, ras47 and robinhook like this.
  19. davidsm9 Aug 12, 2017

DONE. Compared them side by side, both beautiful, obviously. Decided that a first Speedmaster should be the classic version.

IMG_6374.jpg

20. Shailor Aug 12, 2017

Probably the most iconic timepiece design ever. Good choice! Can't wait to get mine back.

davidsm9 likes this.